Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted my LNER B12 with a You Choos Zimo sound decoder and been doing some test running (having run the loco on analogue prior to fitting the decoder) and have been amazed by what the loco can haul up my inclines:

post-586-0-54425000-1482010670.jpg

Started with three LNER suburban coaches it sailed up and then added one by one until I had seven mixed coaches behind the loco which really amazed me as a Hornby A4 struggles with five coaches. Stopped and started the loco on the incline and it moved off without faltering. Most impressed.

Plan tomorrow is to see how it can handle 5 Hornby K Pullmans......

Keith

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I expect that the slight 'reveal' of the inset bottom of the boiler will be 'disappearable' by slight adjustment of the contacting surfaces where the body interior rests on the mechanism. This worked easily on the J15, and would have been equally possible on the D16/3 but was not required on my specimen.

Now Hornby, about the B16...

I haven't dismantled mine, but on looking at the Service Sheet on the Hornby web site it appears that the bottom part of the boiler is attached to the motor mount, to which the motor itself is also attached.  The join between it and the main part of the boiler wasn't too obvious on mine, but I put some gentle finger pressure against the lower part and it moved very slightly upwards, almost with an imperceptible 'click' as if it wasn't quite correctly located in the first place.  I was a bit worried whether this might affect the motor mounting or gear mesh, but it seems to run just as smoothly as it did before.

Looking at photos published so far, this does seem to vary between models. For example of the pictures on the Rails of Sheffield web site it seems more apparent on the early crest loco than the late crest one.  It might be worth just trying a gentle upward push before embarking on anything more drastic

Here are a couple of images of mine, after I'd carried out the above.  The second picture is cropped from the first and lightened as much as I can, but that area is difficult to photograph especially on a black loco.

post-31-0-46111000-1482069180.jpg

post-31-0-28999300-1482069224.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting prototype point about the early BR version; according to Yeadon, 61533 was one of seven to which the Whittaker tablet exchange apparatus was fitted to the lower front of the left hand side sheet of the tender for working on the M&GN. 61533 was allocated to the M&GN 3 times between 1948 and 1959.

The Hornby model tender does not include this apparatus. Would it have been removed and refitted each time it was transferred? Or did a tender exchange take place?

Another good argument for the Yeadon Tender Allocations Appendices to be completed.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting prototype point about the early BR version; according to Yeadon, 61533 was one of seven to which the Whittaker tablet exchange apparatus was fitted to the lower front of the left hand side sheet of the tender for working on the M&GN. 61533 was allocated to the M&GN 3 times between 1948 and 1959.

The Hornby model tender does not include this apparatus. Would it have been removed and refitted each time it was transferred? Or did a tender exchange take place?

Another good argument for the Yeadon Tender Allocations Appendices to be completed.

A picture of 61533 on Cambridge shed on 5/9/59 (in 'LNER 4-6-0s at Work', Geoffrey Hughes) shows a 'thing' on the tender where a tablet catcher would be.  It's quite a distant picture, but the 'thing' doesn't look big enough to be a tablet catcher, but could be a bracket to attach one to.

The prototype notes on the box sleeve of the 'Late Crest' version refer to 61547 but obviously 61580 has been produced, so I wondered whether it was discovered that there was something different about 61547 and the number was changed?  The other main difference that I could think of during BR days was the cut outs to the step plates of those locos which had their widths reduced.  I think also there may have been different types of buffers in use.  I don't have a copy of the 'Yeadon's' for B12s!

A picture of 61533 on Cambridge shed on 5/9/59 (in 'LNER 4-6-0s at Work', Geoffrey Hughes) shows a 'thing' on the tender where a tablet catcher would be.  It's quite a distant picture, but the 'thing' doesn't look big enough to be a tablet catcher, but could be a bracket to attach one to.

The prototype notes on the box sleeve of the 'Late Crest' version refer to 61547 but obviously 61580 has been produced, so I wondered whether it was discovered that there was something different about 61547 and the number was changed?  The other main difference that I could think of during BR days was the cut outs to the step plates of those locos which had their widths reduced.  I think also there may have been different types of buffers in use.  I don't have a copy of the 'Yeadon's' for B12s!

Interesting the different views of allocation history there - Geoff refers in his caption to 61533 having just come off a 10-year stint on the M&GN. Yeadon volume 7 states allocations as:

Stratford

Ipswich 8/1/26

Colchester 2/10/29

Stratford 3/12/29

South Lynn 22/8/48 (M&GN)

Ipswich 29/6/52

South Lynn 19/10/52 (M&GN)

Yarmouth 5/4/53

Ipswich 17/1/54

Yarmouth 28/3/54

Norwich 2/1/55

Ipswich 7/8/55

Yarmouth Beach 17/11/57 (M&GN)

Norwich 21/5/59

Cambridge 7/6/59

Condemned 3/11/59

So that photograph was taken within 4 months of leaving an M&GN shed and, with scrapping perhaps already scheduled, no-one was going to bother with removing the bracket even if the tablet catcher had been retained at an M&GN shed; after all they were fitted to diesels and DMUs too!

Hornby have (fortuitously for me) given it a 32B Ipswich shedcode.

Yes there were a number of detail differences, some of which are described in the 'greenie' and in Yeadon. Too complex to summarise here.

My LNER liveried example arrived this morning courtesy of Derails and I can highly recommend their service! It would have been delivered on Saturday, but I was out so had to wait!

As for the loco, its gorgeous, and I was most surprised by the amount of metal in the upper body. It may have been mentioned before, possibly even by Hornby, but it had managed to pass me by!

The livery application is excellent and the lining is very fine. I'm looking forward to giving it a run, sadly it won't get round the first radius oval under our Christmas tree!

Cheers

J

First observations - fantastic, very impressive... I have the LNER version. One notable good point is that the upper surfaces of the wheel splashers are painted apple-green which is a feature almost always omitted on other LNER liveried models by Hornby and others. Inexplicably the much smaller rearmost splashers adjoining the cab are not painted green but this can be sorted in minutes.

Runs beautifully but there is a noticeable fore/aft movement of the bogie by about 1/8". I traced this to the bolt attaching the bogie to the bogie bracket which is too slender for the lateral slot in which it runs. I presumed that a simple plastic collar was missing but checking the Service Sheet (excerpt diagram attached) indicates that it doesn't exist. I shall probably make one. Otherwise, most impressed.

post-25546-0-59880400-1482158477.jpg

Service sheet is here, by the way: http://www.Hornby.com/us-en/downloads/view/download/item/513

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Interesting the different views of allocation history there - Geoff refers in his caption to 61533 having just come off a 10-year stint on the M&GN. Yeadon volume 7 states allocations as:

Stratford

Ipswich 8/1/26

Colchester 2/10/29

Stratford 3/12/29

South Lynn 22/8/48 (M&GN)

Ipswich 29/6/52

South Lynn 19/10/52 (M&GN)

Yarmouth 5/4/53

Ipswich 17/1/54

Yarmouth 28/3/54

Norwich 2/1/55

Ipswich 7/8/55

Yarmouth Beach 17/11/57 (M&GN)

Norwich 21/5/59

Cambridge 7/6/59

Condemned 3/11/59

So that photograph was taken within 4 months of leaving an M&GN shed and, with scrapping perhaps already scheduled, no-one was going to bother with removing the bracket even if the tablet catcher had been retained at an M&GN shed; after all they were fitted to diesels and DMUs too!

Hornby have (fortuitously for me) given it a 32B Ipswich shedcode.

Yes there were a number of detail differences, some of which are described in the 'greenie' and in Yeadon. Too complex to summarise here.

I wonder who's books it was on from 28/02/59 to when it went on Norwich's books after the closure of the M&GN

From what i have seen on old cine, the B12's looked very graceful in motion with that coupling rod unencumbered by a connecting road adding to a sense of something rather special from a bygone age.

You are so right Coach - back in the heady days of Steam on the Met, I enjoyed a parallel run alongside the B12 from Harrow on the Hill to Moor Park. As a Steam on the Met veteran, I was well used to the locos being thrashed along at 50mph or more by their owners (who were uniquely allowed to take the regulator on a four track main line, under close LUL supervision), and the bustling roar of, say, BR Standard 4s or various GW tanks, was a joy to hear and watch from the other train keeping pace alongside. The B12 was totally different and glided serenely up the 1 in 145 to Northwood at 45mph with the rods rotating as gracefully as you suggest, accompanied by a remarkably deep and slow-paced exhaust note that was in complete contrast to the noisy energy of more modern engines. Despite this, it was clearly working hard during its time on the Met, judging from the burned paint on the lower part of the smokebox door. As you say, something rather special from a bygone age, bringing a lost elegance and old-fashioned gentility into the modern world.

David

• Like 3

Those allocations don't tally with BR Database. Which has it at 32A Norwich Thorpe from the 31/1/1959 and that ties in with the closure of the M&GNR.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600212034&loco=1533

Jason

Which clearly challenges the veracity of the information in either Yeadon or brdatabase or both - now that is a potential can of worms!

I think the problem is that different sources use different methods to record dates. Some use week ending and others go by the end of the month. So you probably have to look at the official records or photographic evidence.

There was also the problem with an individual who was apparently making up information and sending it to the magazines. That's the reason why the What Happened To Steam? books are flawed.

http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/what-happened-to-steam/

Jason

My LNER liveried example arrived this morning courtesy of Derails and I can highly recommend their service! It would have been delivered on Saturday, but I was out so had to wait!

As for the loco, its gorgeous, and I was most surprised by the amount of metal in the upper body. It may have been mentioned before, possibly even by Hornby, but it had managed to pass me by!

The livery application is excellent and the lining is very fine. I'm looking forward to giving it a run, sadly it won't get round the first radius oval under our Christmas tree!

Cheers

J

Mine too arrived from Derails and I am very impressed with the loco and the service. A note included stated that it had been tested before dispatch! That's the first time I have experienced that. A big thanks to them, I'm really chuffed..........chuff chuff chuff.....................Whoooo Whoooo!!!

Tod

Very interesting to see the top down comparison with the old model in #348.

The original Triang model was obviously not that far out overall, although the new version is clearly superior in all sorts of ways.....

The tender was probably the best bit of the old model. That said, it was possible to cut the engine body back, correcting the wheelbase, etc. and, for a while, Crownline produced a kit that would allow you to do exactly that. But now, apart from the etched brass full kit from PDK, would you bother?

Just got the order processed email from Hattons for my EC B12!

Can't wait

I got one of those at 16:20 for my R3430.

Its the Picking List Packed email you have to hope will be sent tomorrow AM to say that its being taken out for collection by the courier of choice. I'm waiting for the PLP email...... *

With any luck, mine will arrive on Friday!

Fingers crossed, etc,etc.

* Which has now arrived, its just the wait now!

Edited by Hroth

In general, Hornby are to be congratulated for getting both the Peckett (announced 10/15) and the B12 (11/15) into the shops just in time for Christmas 2016. The fact that both models have been reported by early recipients as being to a high standard of excellence is a good omen for the resurgence of the Hornby brand after the financial difficulties earlier this year.

Its been a hair-raising last few weeks, but they've done it.

Now lets hope that the retailers delivery agents are up to the job...

Guest Midland Mole

In general, Hornby are to be congratulated for getting both the Peckett (announced 10/15) and the B12 (11/15) into the shops just in time for Christmas 2016. The fact that both models have been reported by early recipients as being to a high standard of excellence is a good omen for the resurgence of the Hornby brand after the financial difficulties earlier this year.

Its been a hair-raising last few weeks, but they've done it.

Now lets hope that the retailers delivery agents are up to the job...

Well. not quite all retailers have received their stock yet... <_<

Hopefully we will get them tomorrow or Friday.

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole