Have I got some mojo back? A new tiny O gauge project!

marc smith

Make one layout with interchangeable scenic bits where necessary.

I think that is a cracking idea... although double the work ;-)

Given that the whole layout is lightweight construction I suppose is there any possibility of interchangeable inserts, say mounted on foamboard/foamcore templates, which could fit a pre-determined space/gap on the main board? Some kind of jigsaw micro layout...!!

• RMweb Premium

For adaptability, I like my layouts to have a detachable scenic back, which is just painted cartridge paper clipped to a hardboard support, which bolts to the rear of the b/board. (Curving of which I was rabbiting on about earlier) This means you can alter the "setting" of the place from Dowlais to Wentloog, frinstance, in two minutes. Then removable plug in buildings or bridges can round off the changes, generally in my case for different pregroup companies. My impression of your models is that you work in a great amount of terrific detail which isn't so quickly swapped, so going from scrap yard to coal merchant is more difficult.

Marc,

I think you should stick to the idea of a COAL yard, they are rarer than scrap yards.

And sooo dirty too…

"… I'm fancying building a low-relief small overhead crane on that end of the layout"

Would it not be possible to incorporate one in a coal yard?

"Room for a mirror too, maybe?"

YES ! ! !   please.

I'll be following along to see the progress you make. Keep us posted, please.

Regards

Armin

And making a 7mm scrapyard, I can picture using my very rusty, weather-beaten mineral wagons, loaded with dummy scrap loads...

Oh, which should it be folks? :)

I vote for Coal Yard ;) then you don't need your "beaten-up minerals" and can sell them to me :P :yes: :lol:

Thanks for your kind words & suggestions folks.
I'm still pondering this one. Yes, coal yards can be nice & filthy, but so can scrap yards

When building & exhibiting my 4mm scrap yard layout, and researching Cashmores in Newport
I heard and read tales of a couple of WW11 tanks, underneath the massive pile of scrap metal
They had been there so long, and had so much scrap dumped on top of them, they had sunk deep into the ground
I'm sure I have odds and ends of 1:35 scale military models somewhere - I've seen a few bits & pieces for sale cheaply too

Another thought re making it into a scrap yard, on the right hand end of the board,
I can make a second cassette, leading off from the rear road too - to I can have wagons "disappearing" off scene
As in the superb S7 layout "Braunstone gate".

Anyhow, not much progress to report, other than chopping the board roughly to shape
I will put in some low foreground, as I mentioned before - it makes the scene appear deeper, with added foreground detail & relief
It also makes photography a bit easier, as there's more room for your camera

Whether it ends up as a coal or scrap yard, I've decided to include some nice big puddles, as I did on my Cashmores based layout.
So I've drawn the track, puddles & structures in....
And sprayed my clear plastic card ready - to make puddles

post-2973-0-42214300-1453134806_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-84206300-1453134814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If you haven't seen what I mean by a low foreground, on my other 7mm layout, here's a pic that shows the idea.
Sorry, it's not a great photo (mobile phone) - but I think it shows what I mean, by adding relief, vertical interest, by adding levels etc
The foreground is curved outwards, and is only a few inches deep, at it's widest point
But the addition of another level, and all sorts of rubbish etc make the layout appear deeper than it is,
and give a sense of place and context to the setting

post-2973-0-03017000-1453134968_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

With the depressed foreground, you certainly see a lot more of the layout, very good when there's not much of it anyway. Sort out your puddles before putting the track down, that's a new one! But damn good idea...

• Like 1

With the depressed foreground, you certainly see a lot more of the layout, very good when there's not much of it anyway. Sort out your puddles before putting the track down, that's a new one! But damn good idea...

Yes, I'm a great believer of introducing different "levels" within a scene. It adds interest, and opportunity for the eye to wander...

This keeps the viewer occupied, while they peruse different details. It adds apparent depth, and opportunity to include little scenarios and cameos

Sometimes, it's a good idea to partly "hide" such details - for the onlooker to "discover". 

And I've photographed quite a number of layouts, where there's no opportunity to get the camera in tight to the layout, and down at trackside...

A low foreground can help - as you're less likely to bash the camera into a fence or wall in the foreground

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update. But I have cut my puddles to shape, and fixed them in place, and laid the rear siding
I was waiting to buy some uncoupling magnets at the Bristol O gauge show
No S&W magnets for sale there, unfortunately - but I picked up an alternative
Will post piccies when I've laid the other siding (such a lot of trackwork! lol)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

An example of the puddles on my 4mm scrapyard layout

If I had a pound for every time I was asked how I made them.... I'd have at least 3 pounds now ;)

Such a shame that Bachmann fluffed the cab profile so badly on its Class 24 and 25 models.

Such a shame that Bachmann fluffed the cab profile so badly on its Class 24 and 25 models.

Whilst 24s and 25s are outside my time frame, I have seen Bachmann ones corrected by others with modelling!

Sounds like progress is being made nicely Marc.

Just a quick update. Not loads of progress (as modelling time is so scarce)
As I was putting puddles in position, I moved them about a bit, to judge where they'd look best, and changed my mind a few times
I like puddles on a layout - but I didn't want to overdo it

Anyhow, the puddles and both sidings are now glued in position. Obviously, the protective film is still on the puddles.
Excuse the nails you can see on the foreground siding - that's how I keep track in position while the PVA dries
When using foamboard as a base, I find this technique very useful and simple, especially when you're laying curved track - it just wants to straighten out (cue Stranglers song!) The holes left by the nails are easily filled afterwards....

As a bit ground cover, I've sprinkled some Treemendous earth scatter material (with some other material thrown in for good measure)
I do this just to make use of the fact that there's PVA around the rails. Remember, there won't be much actual ballast visible
In some spots, ballast is going to be scarce, but most areas are going to be ankle deep in coal, dust and general cr@p !

post-2973-0-67380100-1455703491_thumb.jpg

• Like 10