NEW PRODUCTS FOR 2016/7?

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

The moulded valance is the second batch units along with subtlety different opening windows and drivers cab doors.

Also second batch 319's were built painted in a much lighter grey than the first batch.

Great news for modern fans for sure. Thank you Bachmann, you are back on the road to capturing our interest (and money!).

Production time scales though... A look on the Hattons production tracker page (rather handy info!) shows some models announced as far back as 2011/13 still not reaching the EP stage yet. So I look at all these announcements with interest but caution. We could be howling with discontent during Warley 2017 due to lack of progress.

New liveries for existing models are certainly pleasing to see. I'll have to start saving for some of the Class57 and 170 rereleases.

Now for the Class 319. That is certainly a sit up and pay attention moment! Very exciting (though note above comments about time scales). Regarding 'one tool fits all' potential, maybe not (depending on the potential for interchangeable parts). While most differences are with the internal compartments and seating layouts, there are at least three variants externally:

• Subclass 0 have a tapered cab door and flat plate cab air dam. Internally it is 3-2 seating throughout but the area behind one cab features longitudinal flip up seating and a lockable vestibule wall. This was an experiment in carrying parcels and mail. As the vestibule area is included, the external doors can be locked out of use and thus body side illuminating indicators are also present.
  • Subclass 2 are the 'express' versions with a tapered cab door, flat plate cab air dam and a different window arrangement at one end of the MSO. Internally it is 2-2 seating throughout with an extended 1st class DTCO.
  • Subclass 3 were originally subclass 1 and have a square cab door with large shaped cab air dam. Internally it is 3-2 seating throughout, similar but not identical to the subclass 0.
  • Subclass 4 are similar to 0 with tapered cab door and flat cab air dam. Internally is 3-2 seating but with a DTCO featuring full compartment wall and door in the vestibule. There are also luggage racks throughout.
  • All subclasses have slightly different vestibule areas.

So all it, there are 4/5 DTSO types, 2 DTCO types, 2 MSO types and 2 PTSO types. Given that both 0 and 3 subclasses are in the announcement they've seen the ability to be efficient on tooling but this will make representing subclasses 2 and 4 difficult.

I might email Bachmann about the choice of number for the Thameslink version (319382) as this is one of the units sent to Northern Rail. Even though will be in original Thameslink livery, of all the available numbers, it is no longer a 'Thameslink' unit in the true sense of the word.

Edited by lucazone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If they tool it smartly, as the suggestion seems to be they will for models going forward, this opens the possibility for further Mk.3 based units in the future. 

Hi folks

Having looked at the Mk3 units in some considerable detail (!) I suspect that it will be problematic. The "advantage" is you have a 20m chassis (powered and unpowered) but I think Farish already have that from the 150. The actual body tooling doesn't really help that much unless you are prepared to compromise the tooling to allow for different windows, roofs and cabs (by the time you have allowed for slides for all of that I'm not sure the tooling savings are that significant).

I think Farish have chosen well with the 319 (and of course it goes very nicely with the Pendolino, 350, 320/321!) and I hope it does well for them.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

The 319/2s were of course rebuilt from 319/0 and were part of the fleet transferred to Network south central prior to privatisation.

Whilst not suitable for my layout....although it is Olympia......I'm going to get an NSE one as I travelled to work at Kings Cross for several years when Thameslink opened and on the Brighton mainline...the 319/0 are also suitable for many suburban routes in the current 'Southern' area including Horsham via Dorking. They also ran to Guildford and Oprington.....and were the first passenger train through the Chunnel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very occasionally under South Central/Southern the 319's also ran between Horsham and London via Crawley and the Brighton Main Line as well.

• RMweb Gold

I see Hattons are listing the 319 at an estimated price of £144.46. That seems a fair price for a 4 coach unit to me.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold

That's a good price. I wonder if they will hike it up closer to the release date?

That was my thought as well! It implies the RRP is £169.95 which looks like Hattons have taken the current RRP for the 350s.  Given the 350s were produced 2(?) years ago I'd expect the price to be significantly higher 2-car 101s which are due soon have an RRP of £169.95).

Cheers, Mike

I would be very surprised if Hattons can deliver at that price based on what Bachmann are showing the 150s, 101s and 108s will be priced at. I guess it is possible Hattons are better informed than us, for example it just may be that Bachmann have managed to contain cost with innovative design solutions/compromises. 

As an aside, checking today it is interesting that the sound fitted 108 has now been priced on the Bachmann website - £269.95 so about £230 after max allowed (initial) discount is applied. I would say not bad for a RTR sound fitted model. If only it had been announced sound fitted in green too...

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it also depends on how long it takes Bachmann to get this out to the market. If it's relatively quickly then that price might see little movement. If it's 2-3 years then we'll probably be looking at nearer £200!

On the subject of sound, I see the sound fitted Castle has an RRP of £219, discounted to £186 at Hattons. With the cost of a bog standard Castle being £118 from the same supplier, £68 for sound seems like a steal!

Tom.

It would not be the first time that Hattons have plucked a "plausible" number out of the air for the purpose of pre-orders and then hiked it once the real price from Bachmann becomes known. Since they abandoned their price promise a couple of years ago, their pre-order prices are close to meaningless.

That's very true Matt.

It appears pretty pointless for Hattons to bother to set prices for pre-orders now where they cannot guarantee them, but I guess if they can't get a fixed price from Bachmann these days they are stuck with the dilemma of what to do to sign customers up to future products.

I would think in days gone by with the price guarantee, the level of pre-orders converting into purchases would be pretty much certain enabled Hattons to project what stock to order too, but now with the wet finger in the wind approach and option to cancel, I suspect many more will not bother and just wait, on which basis I admit I am much more inclined to give my local model shop the custom these days anyway.

Hm, some reason pics linked weren't working. Pics are up on the farish site.

The new train sets and collectors pack consist of what I can tell:

Day at the races - 3mt in br green with 3 horse boxes it looks to be.

Night mail - class 47 in green with yellow ends and two travelling post office coaches.

The connections pack is a 47 again but in NSE and looks to be NSE mk1s and is dubbed with 30th anniversary.

All 3 have new box arts and different from the style farish has been using past few years and looks quite snazzy tbh.

Edited by Crumplezone

• RMweb Premium

The connections pack is a 47 again but in NSE and looks to be NSE mk1s and is dubbed with 30th anniversary.

Look like Mk2's to me:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/images1/train0737_65783.gif

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Night mail - class 47 in green with yellow ends and two travelling post office coaches.

To be clear it is the unique 47522 Doncaster Enterprise Parcels livery, green with full yellow ends:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/images1/train0737_65783.gif

Wouldn't mind one of these if the locos are split from their sets.

EDIT - Can't get the links to the images to work properly, sorry.

Edited by John M Upton

The Artwork for the NSE train pack shows a Mk2 brake BSO and you can just make out a Mk1 which I assume is a RMB (the image for the NSE OO gauge RMB on the Bachmann website is in fact a N gauge model) - one and the same?.

It does say on page 1 of the announcements thread this pack will come with 3 coaches, so hopefully a Mk2 TSO, as well as 47581.

The Artwork for the NSE train pack shows a Mk2 brake BSO and you can just make out a Mk1 which I assume is a RMB (the image for the NSE OO gauge RMB on the Bachmann website is in fact a N gauge model) - one and the same?.

It does say on page 1 of the announcements thread this pack will come with 3 coaches, so hopefully a Mk2 TSO, as well as 47581.

Interesting detective work there. I wonder what the third vehicle will be? The missing Mk2a FK?

The GUV in the Night Mail train set is unique to the set too.

I thought it was going to be 47576 "Kings Lynn" in the pack?

Cheers

Mark

I guess 47522 'Doncaster Enterprise' was a good excuse to re-use the mould for the 'flush front both ends' as previously used for 47535.

There are not many other options for that, and I'm sure another large logo blue number on the same mould wouldn't have been well received!

Very tempted by both train packs though. The Parcels Red GUV in the Night Mail pack is welcome and does not seem to be among the standalone releases. Hopefully the missing NSE MK2 FK will also be in the Capital Connection pack, as Tim H also speculated.

• RMweb Premium

I must say I was rather disappointed that there weren't at least some renumbers of existing models even if there were very few new model announcements. Surely it can't cost much to do some renumbers? 

Like 55003 Meld in FP blue (as hinted several times before!) Also more early TTA liveries such as Mobil would be welcome.

I guess 47522 'Doncaster Enterprise' was a good excuse to re-use the mould for the 'flush front both ends' as previously used for 47535.

There are not many other options for that, and I'm sure another large logo blue number on the same mould wouldn't have been well received!

Very tempted by both train packs though. The Parcels Red GUV in the Night Mail pack is welcome and does not seem to be among the standalone releases. Hopefully the missing NSE MK2 FK will also be in the Capital Connection pack, as Tim H also speculated.

I believe the only other suitable renumber for the double flush tooling would be 47614 which would be most acceptable in large logo blue..

Cheers

Mark