The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lifespan of wireless mice

34theletterbetweenB&D

As topic title. After many years - probably more than ten - of pounding the desktop, my Siemens Fujitsu wireless laser mouse appears to have a growing appetite for the electric. Did wonder if it might be the rechargeable AA's fading away, but no, it eats a pair of regular Duracells in a couple of weeks, which type of cell typically lasted 3 - 4 months when it was new, and before I switched to rechargeables. The contacts in the battery compartment are all bright and shiny and highly conductive by ohmmeter check, so that's not the trouble.

Any thoughts? Do I have to plan for a sad event involving expenditure?

I have been using a wireless mouse (the same one) for many years when I travel with my laptop.  Experience has taught me to turn one of the batteries round when packed for travelling otherwise it switches on in the bag and discharges.  It takes 2 AAA batteries and I always make sure I have spares with me.  Battery life is difficult to estimate but seems pretty good and I don't think has declined.

• RMweb Gold

My mouse batteries last for months - and I play on-line war games quite frequently as well as "normal" use.

They aren't expensive so unless budget is tight get yourself a new one (mouse).

I bought a wireless mouse on Ebay. It went through batteries like crazy and then packed up altogether after a couple of months.

Moral: Be careful what you get from Ebay - as if you didn't know that already; it is just me who is naive.

My Microsoft mouse eats batteries, about 1 every 2 months. My Logitech Mouse and Keyboard at work haven't had the batteries changed in 3 years and they are on all the time. The uSoft one is Bluetooth the Logitech one's have their own little base station and I don't think they use Bluetooth. Maybe the wireless technology used makes a difference?

Regards,

John P

I got a Trust mouse from Argos a few years ago for £5 that uses a pair of AA cells about every two years, and my Logitech one which cost a bit more had its first battery change at about three and a half years. Both are left on all the time.

Be very careful about putting the batteries in backwards as it could end in tears - many mice have the two AA cells in parallel (you will note that they work quite happily with just one in!).

If a mouse is eating batteries and a good clean out does not fix it I think it is a good opportunity to buy a good quality mouse, and you might get change out of £20 for a wireless mouse and keyboard set if you don't want anything too fancy.

Yup! I gave up on wireless mice - they were too heavily into batteries -

It is nice to discover that one was not alone..

It is also great to discover there are some that are quite economical rather than comical..

I might just give them another go..

Thanks!

All the mice we've used have lasted several months on a battery - I often use re-chargeables, except one. We bought a cheap Polaroid mouse from Asda, and it seemed to last a very short period. It was as if it never shut itself down when unmoved as all the others seem to. Anyway, we scrapped it.

Don't bother with rechargeables. They will self-discharge quicker than the power will be used, and the terminal voltage will probably be too low. You need to use alkalines.

I use rechargeables in my home mouse. It only takes a single "AA" and each one lasts at least a good few months before needing a recharge.

This home mouse has been serving for several years. No real problem.

• RMweb Premium

Life- Short.

Mainly because at the time I first changed to a wireless mouse we had not long acquired Big Nose Jake, an Alsatian.

If not given the required attention, he was liable to nudge your elbow, and if you were using the mouse, the resultant jerk sent the mouse int o orbit, or at least down behind the (immovable) desk, and junk underneath it.

I soon returned to a mouse on a tether. 

At least that couldn't be launched through the window (fortunately open - or not!)

Regards

Ian

My Logitech wireless has operated faultlessly for over a year now on the original batteries.  Mind you it does have an on/off switch which I make sure I switch to off when I've finished using it.

I don't know if other wireless mice have a switch off function or not, but this one does!

I like it because it removed for me the dreaded touch-pad syndrome.  You know, the one that made you want to use the laptop like a giant Frisbee every-time it (I) fouled up!   :ireful:

• RMweb Premium

The HP mouse that came with this PC runs on 2 AAs. I feed it on partially used ones, usually out of the compact camera. Batteries too low to work that will run the mouse for weeks. It does have an on/off  switch so it goes off when the PC does.

• RMweb Gold

I got my first wireless mouse for Christmas (Microsoft) and the battery (single Duracell AA) is holding up OK so far.

Having used rechargeables fairly widely over the years (mainly in flashguns), I found the old Nickel Cadmium ones to be fine so long as you ran them flat before recharging. The NiMh ones that displaced them were hopeless by comparison and went flat in less than three weeks even in things that hadn't been switched on in that time.  

John

My cat brings home a lot of wireless mice but so far I haven't found a battery in one of them.

Edward

O God at least we got to post 20 until some one had to crack a joke!

Can I ask are you sure there was no battery's in them and if you are why and how did you look!, please don't tell me

I got my first wireless mouse for Christmas (Microsoft) and the battery (single Duracell AA) is holding up OK so far.

Having used rechargeables fairly widely over the years (mainly in flashguns), I found the old Nickel Cadmium ones to be fine so long as you ran them flat before recharging. The NiMh ones that displaced them were hopeless by comparison and went flat in less than three weeks even in things that hadn't been switched on in that time.  

John

It is a feature of NiMh that they tend to have a higher self discharge rate than NiCd and why NiCd have persisted for some applications, but still not worth using them for mice. Mice use so little power that alkaline cells are excellent.

I have found that Logitech ball mice just go on and on and on. 

I do take the batteries out if away for any extended period, as many alkalines have a habit of leaking eventually, but considering I have not used a wired mouse for around a dozen years or more, I find them excellent and the battery life is long. Wouldn't use anything else. :)

Archived