RMweb

PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

By implication therefore, the "average enthusiast" * is actually discerning enough to want chaired bullhead track with proportionate sleepering. I think that is a fair view, and a desirable state of affairs. Not long ago some claiming to be the voice of the average enthusiast were actually opposing the idea of this sort of track quite vigorously, either claiming that there was "no need " or that its introduction would be in some way unfair to those who have already invested in quantities of Peco (and other makes of) "HO Euroway".

* at least some of them, anyway...

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

By implication therefore, the "average enthusiast" is actually discerning enough to want chaired bullhead track with proportionate sleepering. I think that is a fair view, and a desirable state of affairs. Not long ago some claiming to be the voice of the average enthusiast were actually opposing the idea of this sort of track quite vigorously, either claiming that there was "no need " or that its introduction would be in some way unfair to those who have already invested in quantities of Peco (and other makes of) "HO Euroway".

The best evidence for the lack of need was probably that Peco didn't think it worth their while to produce any. That's no longer true.

If this sells well, it rather gives the lie to the UK market being too small for Peco to bother with specifically 00 track. Maybe a more 00 flat-bottom rail will follow?

I take it that you do know the iron got its name from originally being a lump of iron with a handle that was heated over a coal fire and was developed into an electric version and then a "turbo electric with steam jet" version. Ironing boards have seen development too- ask any Australian beach surfer.

Just about everything in life has seen development except for the ironing board and iron, and I doubt Peco is going to be lambasted for producing track that modelers expect in this day and age. I imagine shopkeepers will tell their un-knowledgeable customers that this is the latest track from Peco and it is based on the type of track used by British railways in steam days. Gross simplification I know but it should be sufficient. 

Amen to that. That is an oft repeated claim by people who seemingly never have the data to support that viewpoint, so I wholeheartedly agree with you.

The best evidence for the lack of need was probably that Peco didn't think it worth their while to produce any. That's no longer true.

If this sells well, it rather gives the lie to the UK market being too small for Peco to bother with specifically 00 track. Maybe a more 00 flat-bottom rail will follow?

Without being political, given that manufacturing exports have suddenly become a fair bit cheaper (economics NOT political statement) I wonder if we will see Peco increase its Worldwide market share.

• RMweb Premium

Just about everything in life has seen development except for the ironing board and iron, and I doubt Peco is going to be lambasted for producing track that modelers expect in this day and age. I imagine shopkeepers will tell their un-knowledgeable customers that this is the latest track from Peco and it is based on the type of track used by British railways in steam days. Gross simplification I know but it should be sufficient. 

Hi Larry

When did you last do the ironing, you no longer have to use a wet tea towel to get that sharp grease, or keep reheating the irons on the stove. :nono: :nono: Mrs M assures me that her new whizzo electric steam iron does the job and if I want a grease in my trousers I should give it a go. :sungum:

What I like about this thread is all the experts who keep telling us mere ready to lay modellers that every thing is wrong and we should be doing so and so. Let us see the product in the shops and then decide, because it is us mere ready to lay modellers who will be buying it.

Clive Mortimore, on 11 Oct 2016 - 14:55, said:

Hi Larry

When did you last do the ironing, you no longer have to use a wet tea towel to get that sharp grease, or keep reheating the irons on the stove. :nono: :nono: Mrs M assures me that her new whizzo electric steam iron does the job and if I want a grease in my trousers I should give it a go. :sungum:

That had me in greases creases.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Without being political, given that manufacturing exports have suddenly become a fair bit cheaper (economics NOT political statement) I wonder if we will see Peco increase its Worldwide market share.

Where do their raw materials come from? If from overseas their costs will increase, and they will have to be passed on in the form of increased prices (again economics).

• RMweb Premium

Only for product that stays in the UK, nett neutral for exports. The value added; labour, support costs, etc is cheaper for exports.

In a few years time we could be looking at EU countries having to pay import duty on UK exports.

However, I think the duty on model railway products would probably be 0%.

Just want to throw this out there; how many modellers re-use track? The conundrum for Peco is to maintain the reputation of making 'robust' track but at the cost of possible future sales.....!

The new B/H track may be even more robust due to the more substantial rail fixing moulding.

Edited by Jeff Smith

• RMweb Premium

Just want to throw this out there; how many modellers re-use track? The conundrum for Peco is to maintain the reputation of making 'robust' track but at the cost of possible future sales.....!

I re-use track in two ways - by laying it then moving it somewhere else, and by buying it second hand.

It's not exactly indestructible but it is pretty long lasting.

Hi Larry

I still do ironing and the bl**dy job still give me back-ache. I still manage to trap my fingers when folding the ironing board as well ha ha. Yup,  I'm old enough to remember the lump of iron heated on the fire as well. Compared with my chores of the 1950's, I can load the washing machine, set the program and walk away instead of boiling water in the main tub, scrubbing clothes on a washboard, rinsing them in a second tub then grabbing the mangle wheel. And if the sun don't shine there is the tumble dryer. But apart from shoving a plug in a socket, a house maid from the 19th Century would see we have barely moved in in two centuries when it comes to ironing.

So as not to be off-topic, I had better mention Peco bullhead track....There done it.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

I re-use track in two ways - by laying it then moving it somewhere else, and by buying it second hand.

It's not exactly indestructible but it is pretty long lasting.

Once you've destroyed the sleepers, you can use the rail in handbuilt track. Secondhand flatbottom track is a cheaper source of rail than buying it new. I may well use some code 100 rail for light railway track in O gauge, and will be using it on my O-16.5 layout. Secondhand track can be bashed into O gauge for hidden track, and O-16.5 by removing alternate sleepers. I may well be using some code 75 rail from old track to expand my test track today.

But then no 00 track is like any anybody has ever seen

C&L Flexitrack is probably about as close as it's possible to get in RTL... it certainly looks like the track I saw today at various locations along the MML, and would be my choice in preference to the Peco half chaired, half clipped track.

I knocked this pic up from images posted on this thread by Mikkel from 5 years ago.  Hope you don't mind me reusing your pics,Mikkel

post-238-0-30810000-1476209075.jpg

Top shows the inner, two bolt side of the chair and the lower shows the outer single bolt side of the chair.  Of all the chaired RTL tracks I've looked at, this is the closest to the effect I would like.

But points, ay - there's the rub...

• Like 1

Of course Peco will never release a Code 75 Bullhead track range in 00. 

They would only be competing with their other range of Code 75 Streamline.

It will never happen.

There's no demand........Blah Blah Blah !!

A bulk order for edible hats please........

Rumour has it that Peco might be supplying edible hats with the first 1000 boxes of track. :jester:

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

Yes, it very much looks the part but it's a somewhat unfair comparison as the two track types are really aimed at different market sectors. C&L is more expensive and requires hand built points, also more expensive even if built yourself, and requires recent wheel standards. Peco is mass market with fixed, some say compromised, geometry, but universal in terms of wheel standards. DCC may lie somewhere in the middle as points are promised.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it very much looks the part but it's a somewhat unfair comparison as the two track types are really aimed at different market sectors. C&L is more expensive and requires hand built points, also more expensive even if built yourself, and requires recent wheel standards. Peco is mass market with fixed, some say compromised, geometry, but universal in terms of wheel standards. DCC may lie somewhere in the middle as points are promised.

Horses for courses.

I imagine there's a market for both.

Further to my comment above, I would put money on the likelihood that the geometry will be identical to the code 75 range to allow drop-in replacement, especially for those layouts employing a mix of existing B/H flexitrack and Peco code 75 points.....

I still do ironing and the bl**dy job still give me back-ache. I still manage to trap my fingers when folding the ironing board as well ha ha. Yup,  I'm old enough to remember the lump of iron heated on the fire as well. Compared with my chores of the 1950's, I can load the washing machine, set the program and walk away instead of boiling water in the main tub, scrubbing clothes on a washboard, rinsing them in a second tub then grabbing the mangle wheel. And if the sun don't shine there is the tumble dryer. But apart from shoving a plug in a socket, a house maid from the 19th Century would see we have barely moved in in two centuries when it comes to ironing.

So as not to be off-topic, I had better mention Peco bullhead track....There done it.

.......and like me Larry your old enough to remember that washing day was always carried on a Monday ........and we ate fish on Friday  :O

• RMweb Gold

I must have a word with Samsung for selling mobile phones that are better than the one I bought last year. Not to mention the latest television, car, vacuum cleaners etc that are also available. I think it is called progress.

;-)

Congratulations to Peco for listening to the railway modellers.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

I must have a word with Samsung for selling mobile phones that are better than the one I bought last year. Not to mention the latest television, car, vacuum cleaners etc that are also available. I think it is called progress.

Congratulations to Peco for listening to the railway modellers.

Is it hot enough to iron your clothes ?