Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

A very odd and experimental program......for about 1968.....it was the kind of presentation that Cliff Michelmore was so much better at than todays celebrities........ Train spotting live, what next....Stamp Collecting for Beginners.....much better to have done a Train Digest programme, which could include train spotting, plus rail and preservation news and clip films.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

It's so bad it's actually on the front page of today's Sun newspaper. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-36780152

Even The Sun can't get it right as they use the phrase a "duff class 66". Ah - my mistake, it's The Sun. Mind you, there's probably a good pair of buffers on page 3.

I quite like the programme - lots of yellow........

Cheers,

Mick

The Suns priorities are truly one of Murdoch's Mysterys....on a day with a rail disaster, and new PM, the Aussie Dick has his paper print a front page query about a tree in a programme.........I expect heads will roll at the BBC for daring to use a clip film......Snow will soon be joining Clarkson at Amazon to provide rail coverage for The Grand Tour...... Clarkson, Hammond, May and Snow, now there's a thought........

Stephen.

Nice to know that at least one newspaper is upholding standards in journalism. It is not just us that think the BBC can do better.

And the programme is available for 28 days on Iplayer for viewing or download, surely a mistake as it is "LIVE"....heads must roll for this serious offence in miss description and deception by the BBC.............Maybe the Sun can run a National Campaign to get the entire BBC staff sacked for showing a tree in a film clip........I must have fallen asleep at the point the tree was shown..........

Stephen......better things to do than "read" the Sun

Now the Mirror is joining in the witch hunt for the BBC using a clip film.....as if it is in any conceivable way important...... Yawn..........

Trainspotters flocked to online forums to express their disgust at the BBC.... scream the Mirror and Sun in outrage,..........Dear, Dear, never mind......

I try to avoid the fact that vile "newspaper" still exists. My views on it would certainly break the foul language rules.

Getting back to nice things.

I thought it was hilarious when they were talking about Flying Bananas and there was a GWR Diesel Railcar right next to them.  :lol:

I know it was the earlier version that was known as Flying Bananas, but it's still funny.

Jason

Now the Mirror is joining in the witch hunt for the BBC using a clip film.....as if it is in any conceivable way important...... Yawn..........

Trainspotters flocked to online forums to express their disgust at the BBC.... scream the Mirror and Sun in outrage,..........Dear, Dear, never mind......

Maybe they'll ask you for a quote? The Sun or the Mirror I mean, not Trainspitting Lave. :smile_mini2:

• Administrators

Maybe the Sun can run a National Campaign to get the entire BBC staff sacked for showing a tree in a film clip

They've been running that campaign for years. I imagine Fox News would do this rather differently.

Re #262 above, I never really collected numbers but was very much encouraged to take an interest in the passing of steam, by my parents. My late father, a Labour Party activist from an (even then) fairly old school, told me that it was a sign of the passing of things whose faults were undeniable, but whose virtues were largely under-rated and would be much missed in their passing.

He regarded dieselisation as symbolising a misconceived leap into the illusion of modernity, which was pretty much the Labour position - "white heat of technology" etc. This was, remember, the time of Concorde, TSR2 and similar follies. Hard to argue with that, in the light if subsequent events.

I think he'd be rather pleased with the modern high speed electrics. I've also retained most of my long-standing pleasure in train travel, not least because air travel has become so unmitigatedly awful. A lifetime in heavy engineering has also taught me to appreciate the aesthetics of the infrastructure; like the countryman in Punch, I can happily stand and admire the straight lines and curves of this quite enormous feat of art-in-life, trains or no trains

It's so bad it's actually on the front page of today's Sun newspaper. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-36780152

Just another Murdoch anti-BBC rant, from a loathed and discredited rag that appears to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick regarding TS Live.

Its a pity that they didn't notice the APT in a segment on the HST!

The main point is that the loco was "as described" and we, as railway enthusiasts, were looking at the loco, not the leafless tree passing in the background!  The faux pas was probably due to a discontinuity in the information being passed to Peter Snow by the production folk.

Just looked at the "Scum" front page again, and it struck me that the person who filmed the clip WAS probably wearing an anorak!

• RMweb Premium

Today’s front page of the Sun is either comical or a deeply sad reflection on our country. To make a TV show on train spotting its front page headline is shocking given what was happening in the world yesterday, including:

• Theresa May’s preparations to take the reins of power and David Cameron’s last cabinet meeting

• The Labour party continuing to rip itself apart and leave the country with an opposition which is dysfunctional and quite frankly unelectable in its current state

• China losing the legal case over their South China Sea claims, long considered as the hot spot with the greatest potential to trigger a major war (admittedly I suspect many Sun readers would wonder why the Philippines had taken the shop wot they buy chop suey from to court over some islands somewhere off the North of Scotland)

• A terrible train crash in Italy with resulting heavy loss of life

• Some indications that the restoration of confidence that we once again have a functioning government and a new PM who whatever people think of her does have a reputation for being competent to hold high office is calming the markets and putting a floor under sterling (hopefully)

However people still buy it and in some ways an asinine headline is preferable to the same old let’s blame migrants and have a go at foreigners front page of the Express. The Express manages to do something that many considered impossible, it makes the Mail look like a model of liberalism.

On the show, OK it is not great TV but it is a bit of fun and I think if you take it for what it is and accept it is not a high brow educational documentary it is worth watching. I don’t think it is really aimed so much at typical RMweb types but a more general audience who like trains but are not rail enthusiasts as such or people who just enjoy watching shows about interesting things. I must admit, I think the presenter who has done railway TV better than anybody in recent years is Michael Portillo, I know many hate him because of his political past (I remember that cringe inducing SAS speech) but as a presenter of railway TV shows I find him a very articulate, engaging and thoughtful presenter.

I still remember that show made about bashers a few years ago (we discussed it in another thread not that long ago), now that really was fun and captured a part of the hobby which seems to have died (probably for the best…..).

A headline about a TV show about railways - can someone please tell me exactly why that is likely to sell a newspaper?? :scratchhead:

Probably  wont  sell  any  more,  whenever  I fill up  with  petrol,  the  petrol  station  give  me  a  copy  of  the  SUN  free  anyway,  its  not  just  copies  left  at  the  end  of  the  day  as often   I am in  there  much  earlier!

Can we not have a little light hearted fun at the expense of the beeb and it's " dreadful " spotting show ? I think the Sun got its priorities right here, the world is full of high political anger and disasters, we could all do with a bit of fun to start the day off and the Sun has noticed that this is car crash TV that's been utterly panned by its target audience. It is after all what in other times would be called "the silly season" for news.

2 minor points, the footage in question includes 66779 under its cover on delivery. They spent the day before trying to find 66779 and missed it, it's always funny when TV world hasn't a clue what's it's talking about.

Has the Sun got a secret spotter on its staff ? "A duff class 66" ? What's he trying to say ? That Sheds are really Duffs in disguise ? I think we ought to be told !

To wake up and find a spotter story about Sheds is front page news is truly surreal, I advise we all buy a copy for posterity, it's up there with " Freddy Starr ate my Hamster" !

Like many on this forum I found the first episode somewhat cringeworthy.  Initially I wasn't going to watch any more but then I decided that it wasn't fair to base my judgement on just one programme.  I'm glad I did as I found last night's offering better than the first - not great TV but OK.  Yes, there were some bloomers (APT footage shown when talking about HSTs, for example) but, on the whole, an improvement.  I just wish that someone would tell Dick Strawbridge about either Platform Five's British Railways Locomotives & Rolling Stock or Ian Allan's Rail Guide!

Will I watch tonight's episode?  Yes, in the hope that it improves still further.

Chris Turnbull

I recall pulling into a petrol station as a passenger back in 1998. Whilst my wife attended to the relevant duties I gazed about the forecourt before my eyes alighted on the newspaper rack. It was the morning news broke about the Good Friday peace negotiations in Belfast and all had them writ large as headlines.

Well, all bar one,

The Sun led on George Michaels indiscretions with 'Zip Me Up Before You Go Go'.

Ah I thought, you can trust The Sun to really catch the zeitgeist of the nation.

Mobocracy replacing democracy is very apparent when BBC ex newspaper hacks are shouting across Downing Street "Do you think you are up to the job Mrs.May?" Things trending on mob forums are bound to be used by mob redtops hence the reference to the BBC4 railway program. Maybe the red tops will think tonight's Titfield Thunderbolt is about the ill's of privatisation...

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I enjoyed last night's episode more than the first, but I don't think that is because it was better, more that I had "tuned in" to what the show is about and how it works.

Those who study viewer habits will identify with this phenomenon - it's why even shows that go on to be considered classics often take a while to build their audience. And if the show offers a genuinely new format - such as Big Brother in the late 90s - then that process can take longer.

I think they are getting the tone right, they are choosing good locations (Swindon, and the HST filmed interview/sequences tied in well together) and the presenters are finding their voices.

I do think the show seems to be lacking someone at director level with a good knowledge base. It's unrealistic to expect the presenters to notice or pick up on everything, but they should have someone feeding them useful titbits. There are lots of details that are quite interesting that we could be getting, but instead we are just hearing "ooh isn't that fantastic" or "wow, look at that" which is fine, but you do need some meat in there too. I also suspect that the presenters don't have monitors showing them what the viewer is seeing, otherwise they could transition from presenting in vision to narrating the pictures more easily.

For example, when the footage was shown of the 66s being delivered someone should've been in Peter Snow's ear-piece telling him that what that train was, and that it included the last 66 albeit covered up. Similarly, when the freight train went though Swindon the presenter should have been given the information about it being an aggregate train, and that it was being hauled by a 59 which is the Daddy of the 66s that now dominate. SImilarly, in Carlisle, when Tim Dunn was watching the 37 in Large Logo blue he could've been prompted to draw attention to the Scotty Dog. And of course, a director could've alerted the presenter to the 66 behind him in Doncaster in that first show.

These are the sorts of details that cost nothing, add value and make the whole thing come alive to both the enthusiast and casual audience alike.

As for the Sun's headline - just wow. I suspect it has less to do with genuine concern about an affront to rail enthusiasts and more a reflection of a certain proprietor's agenda to undermine the BBC, who he does not believe should be able to offer news free online. He is still smarting that the Sun had to abandon its pay walled news website and, I believe, has a long term strategy to get public service news off the web, so he can charge people again.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I enjoyed last night's episode more than the first, but I don't think that is because it was better, more that I had "tuned in" to what the show is about and how it works.

Those who study viewer habits will identify with this phenomenon - it's why even shows that go on to be considered classics often take a while to build their audience. And if the show offers a genuinely new format - such as Big Brother in the late 90s - then that process can take longer.

I think they are getting the tone right, they are choosing good locations (Swindon, and the HST filmed interview/sequences tied in well together) and the presenters are finding their voices.

I do think the show seems to be lacking someone at director level with a good knowledge base. It's unrealistic to expect the presenters to notice or pick up on everything, but they should have someone feeding them useful titbits. There are lots of details that are quite interesting that we could be getting, but instead we are just hearing "ooh isn't that fantastic" or "wow, look at that" which is fine, but you do need some meat in there too. I also suspect that the presenters don't have monitors showing them what the viewer is seeing, otherwise they could transition from presenting in vision to narrating the pictures more easily.

For example, when the footage was shown of the 66s being delivered someone should've been in Peter Snow's ear-piece telling him that what that train was, and that it included the last 66 albeit covered up. Similarly, when the freight train went though Swindon the presenter should have been given the information about it being an aggregate train, and that it was being hauled by a 59 which is the Daddy of the 66s that now dominate. SImilarly, in Carlisle, when Tim Dunn was watching the 37 in Large Logo blue he could've been prompted to draw attention to the Scotty Dog. And of course, a director could've alerted the presenter to the 66 behind him in Doncaster in that first show.

These are the sorts of details that cost nothing, add value and make the whole thing come alive to both the enthusiast and casual audience alike.

As for the Sun's headline - just wow. I suspect it has less to do with genuine concern about an affront to rail enthusiasts and more a reflection of a certain proprietor's agenda to undermine the BBC, who he does not believe should be able to offer news free online. He is still smarting that the Sun had to abandon its pay walled news website and, I believe, has a long term strategy to get public service news off the web, so he can charge people again.

Cheers

Ben A.

Perhaps they should have involved you?

Her theory about how fast a train can travel and still read the number she comes up with circa Mach1 which I don't believe. Even if she came up with a more believable speed she ignored the size of the number and surely that would be relevant

But who cares?

That's for a number on the side of a loco - I honed my initial spotting prowess trying to get the number off the cab end of the centre unit of a 12-car SR emu train at 75+mph...

Ok so who's the Sun report on RM Web ....................watch out Andy  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Archived