Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Ken,

Good to hear you found it useful. It's always helpful to see pictures of the kit under construction, and when I'm searching for images your thread is the first place I look, as you build so many. I downloaded all your L1 and Duchess photos (amongst others) as reference info so it's good to reciprocate.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi again.  All but finished the 45xx.  There are a few bits of finishing off (cab number is just one to fettle). Then the there's the varnishing, very light weathering. Coal, crew, glazing and loco lamps to add. (I'm not the best of modellers at lining out, I have to say. Not had enough practice at it)

Then she's ready for work.

post-150-0-45123600-1506448042_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-45274900-1506448063_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-57154900-1506448087_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here we go on the build. This is one on my very favourite locos, the Beattie Well tank. I think she is just beautiful.  This the is Roxey kit and goes together quite well (excuse the pun) I already have on on the layout this one is not for me though.

post-150-0-99404200-1506612328_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

How did you handle the front wheels Ken?

The supplied axle box needed some work.

Peter used a compensation beam and I sprung the middle wheels, but your photo isn’t clear whether you used a solid chassis or not?

Inquiring minds etc., who shouldn’t drink before posting :(

Edited by EKR

Hi. I left the driving axles unsprung and constructed the pony wheel box exactly as per the instructions but  I did not use the axles bushes. The etched holes where just slightly larger than the actual axles.  Then made the 'box' a nice sliding fit in the chassis. Next using a stainless steel 3/16' rod passed through the box I soldered thick axle spacers from Slater's to the box. One on the outside and two on the inside. This made nice bearing for the axles.  Then the box is held in place with a U shaped retainer from 20 thou brass rod. I did increase the top of the chassis slot to give a small amount of extra movement upwards. Piano wire is used for the springing on the box.

It has worked extremely well on my own well tank. 

Hope the photos show what I mean.

post-150-0-32019800-1506669149_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-96178300-1506669166_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Today sees the well tank finished, except for soldering the coupling rod nuts and adding the wheel balance weights.  The detailing went smoothly if you do not count drilling out the white metal chimney that was not an easy task without damaging the chimney. Plus the dome needed low met solder dribbling into two daily large indents where it was miss cast. Could have request replacement of course but I find it less hassle to just repair it.

I also filed off the cast  handles on the sandbox fillers and replaced them with wire.  Also added the reverser rod to the firebox side and pipe work does from the cab front to beside the slasher on doth sides.

Here she is so far.

post-150-0-04117600-1506887529_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-75917700-1506887539_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

I

Looks very good but where's the water filler.

I've no idea where that might be. Studied photo of the prototypes and the drawing in the kit, no mention or sign of it. Good question though. I'm sure someone will have the answer though.

Edited by jazz

• RMweb Premium

I

I've no idea where that might be. Studied photo of the prototypes and the drawing in the kit, no mention or sign of it. Good question though. I'm sure someone will have the answer though.

In the coal bunker. If you find the thread on Beattie Well Tanks in 7mm there are a couple of photos of it on models back in 2014! I've also got a real photo somewhere I'll try and find at home tonight. Edited by Hal Nail

In the coal bunker. If you find the thread on Beattie Well Tanks in 7mm there are a couple of photos of it on models back in 2014! I've also got a real photo somewhere I'll try and find at home tonight.

Thanks for that, I had guessed that was probably where it was hiding. The kit did not have a casting for it either. A photo would be very useful.

Peter's water filler looks very smart, but you could cover it with coal :)

I thought the castings were surprisingly good, except for a few small holes.

Like you I filled them with low melt and they walked away.

Must revisit the filler handles though.

Well, you learn something every day. Well, I have, anyway!

Curious. You'd think it might block the hole through which the fireman has to extract the coal?

You'd also be worried about coal falling in, when the bunker's full and the tank isn't!

Best

Simon