• RMweb Premium

They are the normal motive power on the Tesco trains through Lancaster. There was a period recently where they were double headed, presumably because of the leaf fall season. Otherwise they seen to be doing that role every day without any problems.

Gone very quiet on the 88 front, hasn't it? One post since August.

Probably the way of most new things. They seem to work well and mostly do their job without fuss and within the limitations of a four axle mixed traffic loco working heavy train.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This has appeared on another forum

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145614974@N04/41340536252/

With the comment about remembering where the wires finish when you're on diesel or electric.........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

This has appeared on another forum

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145614974@N04/41340536252/

With the comment about remembering where the wires finish when you're on diesel or electric.........

Cheers,

Mick

Out of interest, does anyone know how the 88s do change over from Electric to Diesel and visa versa?

Do they have just a manual button push or some sort of automatic system using track equipment (which I assume hasn't been installed anywhere yet)?

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

88008 + 010 have worked the Sellafield -Seaton (Hartlepool) flasks for at least the last 3 tuesdays.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/26952476787/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/39858151050/in/album-72157686355046864/

That's interesting, I'd formed the idea that the diesel in the 88s wasn't really there for much more than shunting, but it's a reasonable distance from Sellafield to the nearest wires.

The Seaton service starts from Kingmoor , runs via the Newcastle & Carlisle and Durham coast lines and then returns direct to Sellafield rather than Kingmoor. The only part under the wires (ignoring the Tyne & Wear Metro) is a couple of miles from Kingmoor to Carlisle on a round trip of over 200 miles. Here are the pair on the 17 April service. They may have been used earlier in the month, I didn't realise they were 88's until I played back my video!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/41520321931/in/album-72157662765686907/

Ernie

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, I'd formed the idea that the diesel in the 88s wasn't really there for much more than shunting, but it's a reasonable distance from Sellafield to the nearest wires.

Only 950hp though and quoted as 20% the full electric power, so about 50% more than a 73 on diesel and they manage ok on shorter trains, (until they overheat ;) )

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Only 950hp though and quoted as 20% the full electric power, so about 50% more than a 73 on diesel and they manage ok on shorter trains, (until they overhead ;) )

Good point, we're not talking about very long trains.

Only 950hp though and quoted as 20% the full electric power, so about 50% more than a 73 on diesel and they manage ok on shorter trains, (until they overhead ;) )

Only 50hp less than a 20, and probably more available at the wheels with modern control systems.

They're a good choice for lightweight trains like the flasks, as on diesel they should be less thirsty than the alternatives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

88s sometimes work the Sellafield - Heysham flasks in top and tail mode. They run on diesel all the way except for the short section under the wires between Carnforth and Hest Bank.

• RMweb Premium

88s sometimes work the Sellafield - Heysham flasks in top and tail mode. They run on diesel all the way except for the short section under the wires between Carnforth and Hest Bank.

Do they run off the juice even where there's only a short section of it?

• RMweb Premium

Yes they do. On the Heysham flasks they run on electric for just 3 miles. I filmed one of them at Hest Bank and only when reviewing the video did I notice the pan was up.

• RMweb Premium

Yes they do. On the Heysham flasks they run on electric for just 3 miles. I filmed one of them at Hest Bank and only when reviewing the video did I notice the pan was up.

I suppose a 6000hp (or whatever it actually is) electric train is easier to path on the WCML than a 950hp diesel. Still a bit surprising that they'd do it for 3 miles though.

Is it the distance that’s important then or just the fact they are under wires.

Ie you could have for example 0.5 mile under wire would that still use pan and lecky

• RMweb Premium

Here is my video of the 88s on the Heysham flasks at Hest Bank. Note the leading loco is already on electric power while still open the curve from Morecambe.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The Heysham flasks are always top & tailed, I think its because the train has to reverse at Morecambe.

Has to be an ideal modellers train, two locos and one, two or three wagons.

Here is my video of the 88s on the Heysham flasks at Hest Bank. Note the leading loco is already on electric power while still open the curve from Morecambe.

Prior to the 88s using it, the ole on that curve has probably never been used before despite being there since the early 70s.

Edited by DY444

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...