Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Oh, just noticed the Art Deco buildings, need pics really. Assuming these are Southern Region, e.g. Odeon style signal box etc hopefully in which case tentative plans for some scratch building of buildings has (thankfully) just been slung out of the window!!

• RMweb Premium
:D I hope I get some good work contracts, because there's more than a few items on Bachy's list this year that I'd like to get: 7F (x2), 3F (x2), Derby Lightweight (x1), OTA's (x?), + several other wagons. Shame there's no more green Mk1s, and no Mk2 Air Cons, but there's always next year...

7F. that is going to make the S & D fans happy including me. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Terry.

No 7F's were allocated to the S&D! The Q6 was a 6F (though I think thats underrated) I think and there big cousins the Q7 (rated 8f?) were allocated to Tyne Dock mostly... Im disapointed with the Bachmann range, with very little on offer for what Im wanting. While others rejoice about the models chosen, right now from the domain of '51' theres a big Intercontinental Balistic Rattle heading in the general direction of Leicestershire....

A lot of the S&D still exists... especially by those proud to like the real one!

Ian:

I wrote before the previous post above mine in the words of Scotty It can handle it captain

Yeah, there were others further up, but dont worry about it - I'm excited as well really ;)

Hi,

Does anyone know whether one of the versions of the LNER 13ton Steel Open is this?:

I'd be surprised if it's not Simon; like Parkside they'll have chosen the most typical variant. Less obvious is which of the LNER fruit vans is being done, though I strongly suspect it's the plywood (which Parkside curiously didnt retool when they did the ordinary van)

. People were paying a premium to have the models when they did. I thought people understood that?

Behave :D

Couldn't agree more. Looks like they are leaving the market wide open to all and every competitor.

But who exactly *is* the competition, where affordable ranges of non-corridor stock is concerned? I certainly wouldnt hold my breath for Hornby

What suprises me is it has taken so long for someone to produce the original Derby Lightweight DMU. The Bachmann introduction brings DMU's into the realm of those people modelling the pre-1958 DMU-isation scene. It truly belongs to the 'steam era'.

The MR 3F & tender is a landmark really. We have been asking for common and garden 0-6-0s for ages and maybe this is the start. It has mileage when the same chassis will go into the larger 4F and maybe the 2F. Who knows, it could be LNER J6 or whatever next March.

What suprises me is it has taken so long for someone to produce the original Derby Lightweight DMU. The Bachmann introduction brings DMU's into the realm of those people modelling the pre-1958 DMU-isation scene. It truly belongs to the 'steam era'.

The MR 3F & tender is a landmark really. We have been asking for common and garden 0-6-0s for ages and maybe this is the start. It has mileage when the same chassis will go into the larger 4F and maybe the 2F. Who knows, it could be LNER J6 or whatever next March.

Or maybe even a J21!

Well done Andy for such a comprehensive report.

Well done Bachmann too for a long and ambitious programme.

The Derby 3F 0-6-0 fills a great gap and I am sure will be a long way from the old Triang model, like the 3mt, and like it will sell by the shedload.

The S&D 7F seems a very 'narrow' choice really-many S&D people will probably buy a few tho. Would have preferred

something more ubiquitous personally like the GW 42XX tanks.

Good choice of Diesel and Electrics tho' , especially the Desiro 350, and a chance for those of us who dont buy clas 37's 2 at a time to get a red stripe railfreight-good move.

The 'accessories' look really good too- my are'nt we all spoilt babies!!

I've felt the 7F was only a matter of time but still a great choice to model. The most exciting offering here IMHO is the 3F. Not only is it very useful but it clearly demonstrates commitment from Bachmann to tackle the less glamourous engines that so many people seem to want. That model alone suggests the RTR market still has plenty of milage with new prototypes to offer and won't be limited to 'glossy' express passenger engines.

A brilliant and varied release progamme from Bachmann. Clearly not everybody is happy but you cannot please all the people all the time. Gradually all the gaps are being filled and as the quality gets better it can only be good for the HOBBY

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding announcement - I'm genuinely delighted. I still have a reason to build my large boilered 7F kit, as well. Well done Bachmann - let's hope that the 3F is a commercial success as well, as I'm sure it will be.

Guest Max Stafford

Pleased to see the Derby Lightweight and the LNER wagons. The re-worked 37/0, hopefully in as-built condition will be welcome too. Whilst like others here I'd have liked to see some ex NE group steam and the last of the standards, I'd say they are still out there and will come before too long. It looks from appearances that Bachmann are working methodically through the results of the big poll from a couple of years back. The scenic additions also sound very welcome.

Not an expensive year then for me, but that suits me fine although I might have a blue 85 for nostalgic reasons!

Dave.

Several posts along the lines of 'my money is staying in my wallet', or that otherwise added little, have now been removed. Can we try to hold back on the moans please, and keep it generally positive or analytical?

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

[

The Derby 3F 0-6-0 fills a great gap and I am sure will be a long way from the old Triang model, like the 3mt, and like it will sell by the shedload.

The S&D 7F seems a very 'narrow' choice really-many S&D people will probably buy a few tho. Would have preferred something more ubiquitous personally like the GW 42XX tanks.

A narrow choice indeed. However, the 7Fs got around a bit and Barrow Road (P4) will be pleased. Anyone that wants to model the Gloucester area (passing Barnwood Shed was where I saw my only 7F in 'real life' in 1963) would need a couple.

Look out for DJH kit versions on EBay!

Will Bachmann do both boiler versions or was the difference in appearance so small as to be nothing to fuss about?

I would get one just for display as I think they are great looking loco's.

GWR loco's next year (or Hornby)?

Sincerely, 36E

Very surprised. For the first time in ages Bachmann has announced very little of interest to me(no Ex-LNER locos or even a Mk1 Sleeper). But a very clever move into AC electrics, the Derby light weight will interest many as will the 7F.

A V2 would have been really nice. Oh well patience is a virture

Besides I'm waiting on a Pair of A2's, an A3 and an o2.

Oh, just noticed the Art Deco buildings, need pics really. Assuming these are Southern Region, e.g. Odeon style signal box etc hopefully in which case tentative plans for some scratch building of buildings has (thankfully) just been slung out of the window!!

They are indeed, sadly I didn't have chance to get the snaps but these will be a hot product John, very impressed by the sub-station approach to give a proper suburban feel! A sensible modular approach to the station buildings which will permit some sizeable arrangements.

BTW the four road shed akin to Bescot is going to shift as quick as the modern two-road shed.

Funny I would have said the 3F if d have been so inclined to make a prediction - I have a Gibson kit which is eons old and i'd just got it out with a view to knocking it together for New Hey (they performed on the Stoke parcels working out of Rochdale via Oldham and the OAGB line). At least with Bachman's usual delivery deadlines ive got a couple of years to build it in rolleyes.gif

However Im very pleased that someone has at least grasped the nettle and is producing a quailty 0-6-0 goods loco, its a long awaited and positive development.

The S & D is the Somerset and Dorset or am I missing your humour here? The 7Fs were S & D locomotives! All were allocated to that area. Agree though that NER area modellers need to rely on kits in the main.

36E

The STOCKTON AND DARLINGTON railway is the S&D! The Somerset and Dorest Joint Railway is the S&DJR which if you ask me its only claim to fame was that its remembered through rose-tintered glasses for being the idyllic south western branch line that achieved lasting fame through martyer dome and was ripped up. To me its as much a criminal act as the demollission of the Stainmore railway with the viaducts and bridges that were engineering triumphs to even match if not surpass the Settle to Carlisle line.

My passion for railways is what started my desire to learn history, to the extent that I have been to Univeristy to further my knowledge in the subject. However, I fail to understand how everyone forgets just where the railways started, and the lasting reprecussions there-of. Even S&DJR locomotives had such lettering on the side - I know its helpful to abbriviate but I find such things to be frustrating, especially when your region - AGAIN! - is ignored.

With regards to the Bachmann annoucements, I think that the company, despite my desires, have made selective choices. The 7F will sell like hot cakes, not least that one is running in preservation (at Grosmont mostly of all places - still nothing compared to a Q6!!) and because of the romantic assosiation with the S&DJR. The Derby Lightweight will also prove popular, given the layout and appearence of the unit, its one that instantly recognisable.

What I don't understand is the confussion with the 37/7's. Some people were gutted when the Rail Express team annouced the Loadhaul and other twin pack, but then its obvious that the grey ones would be good sellers. They dont have a flat out rule for the body, just its use on certain types of models made - ie carrying liveries, hence the 37s by RE are special commissions rather than limited editions. Still, Im not getting a grey 37....

I just hope that the Midland 3F does sell.... I fear that if it doesnt then the 0-6-0 might be more distant that I would like. Bachmann have chosen something with a good geogrpahical background so I would think such fears are unfounded, but I'm just after my Weardale J21, amongst my other North Eastern locomotives.

The expannsion of interest is the buildings and figures that Bachmann have announced. The whole steam shed scene could be brilliant given the nature of some of the scenecraft buildings made to date. With other things promissed and some rivalling Hornby we might see interesting results from both manufacturers....

So, forgive me for not being enthusiastic about a 7F, but dont call it North Eastern!

• RMweb Gold

I am also interested by the IE 2700 listed in the range, is this going to be a dogdy 158 repaint or a new tool?

m0rris

I'm afraid its a dodgy 158 repaint M0rris, commissioned by Irish retailers to introduce people to the hobby. Thankfully, Murphy's forthcoming line up of models planned will keep the accurate Irish models flowing for a while yet...

to the extent that I have been to Univeristy

David aka B.Hat, please take this in the spirit with which it's intended; that has to be the best typo committed to the web in the heat of writing a passionate diatribe that I have seen for many a long year! wink.gif

Good to see 37/0's and another 45 on the list, any mention of what front end it will have? Some good items on the Scenecraft front as well, Bachmann may well get some of my hard earned this year.

Regards Paul

Archived