Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

Well like the Hornby annoucement we have a interesting bunch. The 7F and 3F will be on my nice to have list with the 3F higher than the 7F. The LNER wagons that are on my "me want, me want, me want" list have been answered. The LNER open and all those nice vans.... Ummmm :icon_drool: :icon_drool:

Now how can I change my wish list else where as these 2 were on it in a big way!

Now all I need is the dates so I can start saving...

good selection of items to come.

I'm for the LNER vans and open wagons as I was only looking at vans on a uk website to run on the North Eastern region branchline in the pipeline and the existing mainline layout. I may get the 7F for something different.

I am still waiting for the A2 and the 04 from Bachmann which are due within the next 6 months.

So I will have to wait a while for the LNER (ex-NER) G5 044T and the LNER D10 440 Director in RTR. But I might wait till next year and succumb to building the G5.

Mark

HI All

Well I am shocked Bachmann have done a 7F! But I do not see any Bullied coaches in the list, as I need a lot more for my layout, and brake coaches are going for silly money on eBay.

So will they be bringing them out again this year? as they said they would .

All the best

Darren

In my opinion it's a year of sensible releases from Bachmann- in general I'd bet all of these will be good sellers, although the 85 is a possible gamble it's been a feature of my "wish list" votes for several years! I'm also surprised at how much matches my own guesswork, as I'm usually well wide of the mark on such matters. Otherwise, my views have already been expressed by Alco- I was nodding like a 142 reading his post.

Altogether, I've got to be very nice to my wife this year!

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone say approximately how far back in time it would be possible to run the planned 3F given the boiler, firebox etc?

Or do we need more details about the specs of the model before this can be established?

(Sadly I know next to nothing about Midland locos. I checked the web for info but it's still not quite clear to me.)

I have the luxury of having a catalogue and price list in front of me!

There are no DCC icons on the description for the "Saltire" 170. I'm going to assume, therefore, that it is not going to be DCC ready.

Thanks Gareth! A shame that the 170 and 158 still haven't got the upgrade, but hey ho...! An upgraded V2 would have been very welcome too. But still, looks like a really good package from Barwell for the next 18 months!

HI All

Well I am shocked Bachmann have done a 7F! But I do not see any Bullied coaches in the list, as I need a lot more for my layout, and brake coaches are going for silly money on eBay.

All the best

Darren

Well they have suprised us with middle of the year annoucements before like the A2....

I'm with you Larry, the 3F 0-6-0 is an overlooked (until now) prototype and most LMS and SR modellers will find an excuse for an SDJR 2-8-0. A new chassis for the Ivatt 2-6-2T is long overdue.

I'll disagree on one point with coaches, yes I like the coupling attached to the bogies; less chance of derailments, but I like the separate handrails. Some LMS Period 1 stock would be welcome and an upgrade to the Bulleids is needed and why not jump in where Hornby missed out with some GWR Toplights or Collett stock?

Who knows, there might be more, Hornby have just announced some extras.

Glenn

Not much for me in this years announcement

No CCT, no CGO grain hopper and no Cravens 105 in 1970s condition (blue with headcodes and exhausts through the guards compartment).

Bachmann will probably get some of my cash though as I'll have a wooden doored LNER high which I'll put a Parkside morton chassis on.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

Well like the Hornby annoucement we have a interesting bunch. The 7F and 3F will be on my nice to have list with the 3F higher than the 7F. The LNER wagons that are on my "me want, me want, me want" list have been answered. The LNER open and all those nice vans.... Ummmm :icon_drool: :icon_drool:

Now how can I change my wish list else where as these 2 were on it in a big way!

Now all I need is the dates so I can start saving...

I left my 'elsewhere' wish list until Sunday evening - just in case (made no difference to it tho' - not that that came as a surprise)

Guest Belgian

They're doing the later batch, which had large boilers that were then replaced with the smaller boilers. There were a few differences between the original small boiler versions and the later reboilered small boiler versions, more details here: SDRT 7F Info but the later ones had packing in the smokebox saddle to meet the greater height of the smaller boiler.

Edit: two pictures on wiki, not brilliant one of 53804 but can just make out the smokebox saddle 53804, and of 53808 showing the packing out 53808

The most significant difference between the early small boilered 7Fs (53800-05) and the later, reboilered (ex large boiler 53806-10) was that the former were right hand drive with the associated pipework on the right hand side of the boiler and the latter left hand drive, etc. All except 53807 of the latter had two-piece smokebox saddles, '07 having to have a new one-piece one made when rebuilt and therefore looking like a mirror image of the first 6.

JE

HI All

The next batch of Bullieds were announced last March "for production in the next 18 months"ie by Sept 2010, they were part of last years announcements not this years (which are for the 18 months until Sept 2011). Suggest a visit to Bachmanns web site this pm will reveal all (look for the price list / coach range not the New for 2010/11 stuff)

Maybe Horn/Bach have got a new strategy....Announce some items when expected (Xmas and March) but spring a few interim suprises to keep the hobby buzzing.....smile.gif

Regarding the S&DJR 2-8-0, someone said they were producing the large boiler version. Seems odd considering they measured up a small boiler loco in preservation....??

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Horn/Bach have got a new strategy....Announce some items when expected (Xmas and March) but spring a few interim suprises to keep the hobby buzzing.....smile.gif

Regarding the S&DJR 2-8-0, someone said they were producing the large boiler version. Seems odd considering they measured up a small boiler loco in preservation....??

They're producing the later batch with the smaller boilers (which originally had large boilers, but were later reboilered with small boilers as per the first batch)

Re: The Art Deco station buildings, it is worth saying that these are based on Holden designs for the London UndergrounD, that's not to say that overground modellers won't be able to convert as required. For the record, the station building is akin to that at Acton Town (albeit narrower) and the platform buildings from Harrow on the Hill, I have pictures, will post over the next day or two.

• RMweb Premium

Delighted about the 7F and the 3F - I can almost see myself doing "something S&D" one day! The S&D 2-8-0s may have spent nearly all their time on one line but they're certainly well known through preservation - 53809 was quite well-travelled in the 70s/80s.

The 85 is an interesting choice too - somehow I don't think I could justify one on the Southern - shame.

• RMweb Gold

They're doing the later batch, which had large boilers that were then replaced with the smaller boilers. There were a few differences between the original small boiler versions and the later reboilered small boiler versions, more details here: SDRT 7F Info but the later ones had packing in the smokebox saddle to meet the greater height of the smaller boiler.

Edit: two pictures on wiki, not brilliant one of 53804 but can just make out the smokebox saddle 53804, and of 53808 showing the packing out 53808

This means that the use of numbers 53806, 53808 and 53809 are all correct for the re-boilered later series of 7Fs, but being pedantic, not correct for the earlier (original) batch 53800 - 53805 inclusive, because of the additional packing piece between smokebox and smokebox saddle, that Ian correctly refers to above. Also, on the basis of what we know so far, the Bachmann model wouldn't be quite right for 53807 either, because when they came to reboiler that, they found the smokebox saddle so wasted, that they had to provide a new one, so that loco (which was one of the last 7Fs in service) looks more like an original batch!

I also don't think that they could technically offer any of this model in LMS livery, because this verson with the modified smokebox saddle only appeared in BR days, in LMS days they all had large boilers.

But hey, a R-T-R 7F - who cares?! ;) :lol:

Just read the announcement on the Bachmann website. Interestingly they plan to represent the 350 name 'Apollo' with an etched 'plate!!! cool.gif

(for those who aren't aware, the real thing had one of the modern joke nameplates which was just part of the overall livery wrap)

I am presuming 37049 will be with skirts, if so does anybody want a sound chip from one???!!! Great line up from Bachmann there.

No, 'fraid not D6801 and 37251 are going to be with skirts, 37049 is in 'middle' condition with the cut off skirts but retaining the bodyside steps.

• RMweb Premium

According to the Bachmann website, the 7F is due in Oct/Nov, so even given that that date will probably slip it appears they've obviously had the 7F in development for some time... :) (although it doesn't mention which year the Oct/Nov is for of course... ;) )

The 3F has no date next to it, so I would presume based on previous releases that that will get released around the middle to end of next year.

• RMweb Premium

This means that the use of numbers 53806, 53808 and 53809 are all correct for the re-boilered later series of 7Fs, but being pedantic, not correct for the earlier (original) batch 53800 - 53805 inclusive, because of the additional packing piece between smokebox and smokebox saddle, that Ian correctly refers to above. Also, on the basis of what we know so far, the Bachmann model wouldn't be quite right for 53807 either, because when they came to reboiler that, they found the smokebox saddle so wasted, that they had to provide a new one, so that loco (which was one of the last 7Fs in service) looks more like an original batch!

I also don't think that they could technically offer any of this model in LMS livery, because this verson with the modified smokebox saddle only appeared in BR days, in LMS days they all had large boilers.

But hey, a R-T-R 7F - who cares?! ;) :lol:

I would imagine (nay, hope!) that Bachmann have done their research and development to take account of the major design differences so that at least the early batch with right hand drive and 'normal' smokebox saddle could be done at a later date.

Archived