Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

Typical that a 7F is announced as my kitbuilt one nears completion, but I will still get one as it appears to be the small boiler version. 3F will be useful as well. Suppose that if I get a Comet chassis for my 4F, a rtr loco drive will appear. But, as other have mentioned, we need some non-corridor stock to the same standard as their Mk1s. As Coachman implied, they don't realt need to be any better than that.

On the same note as my first comment. JZjr has just stated an FNA kit.

I'm slightly surprised no more 47's were mentioned in the list, the most recent ones have led to many happy faces and wallets being emptied (no doubt followed by moaning from the other half!), they have a good tooling and still plenty of liveries to go.

But looks like they have a good selection, some of the scenecraft stuff will certainly be emptying my wallet, looking forward to pictures.

Thank you Andy for this post...

Great news, now I know why I got the sudden urge to expand the layout!

The Southern style art deco buildings, especially the signal box, are going to be most welcome indeed...

Typical that a 7F is announced as my kitbuilt one nears completion, but I will still get one as it appears to be the small boiler version. 3F will be useful as well. Suppose that if I get a Comet chassis for my 4F, a rtr loco drive will appear. But, as other have mentioned, we need some non-corridor stock to the same standard as their Mk1s. As Coachman implied, they don't realt need to be any better than that.

On the same note as my first comment. JZjr has just stated an FNA kit.

I can echo your sentiments there, Julian! In my case, it's a trainloads worth of Cambrian BAA & BBA's - at least it's still worthwhile building the larger wagons!cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

However, i'm more than happy with this announcment - Blimey, have we ever had it so good?!?!?

This announcement must break the record for quantity of new locos, reliveries/new versions of locos, new wagons, new accessories and so on?

A very brave move, lets all make sure that we support Bachmann for having listened to us!

Cheers,

John E.

I had a look at that today; basic, chunky and serviceable I guess and I wouldn't be surprised (purely my personal speculation) if something (probably basic, serviceable and chunky) came under the Scenecraft label nearer the time of release.

The problem with this hobby, and modelling electrification systems in particular, is it's sometimes hard for someone to know where their skill level lies and be able to reach an achievable end result. From my own personal experience in OHLE modelling in 4mm scale, there are three tier's: Basic masts without wires, commercial catenary using sectional wires, and scratchbuilt using prototypical contact wire runs. The problem is some people think a manufacturer is going to release a range of products to give them a level three effect, which is impossible. Also, overscale wires can ruin an effect and a good solution, especially in smaller scales, is to not model them.

I personally blame manufacturers in the 60's for promoting the novelty of an electric loco picking up from the overhead, which meant locos having a chunky changeover switch on the roof. I wouldn't be surprised to read correspondance from some quarters saying locos such as the Heljan 86 ought to have this feature. Either way, the Trainset hobby market needs to get away from the concept of a single supplier for everything, just because a manufacturer brings out an AC electric you wouldn't necessarily expect them to supply matching overhead, especially if their track system isn't the best on the market.

• RMweb Premium

Re the 7F, I have a DJH kit that I thought I might have wasted my money on, but it's for the original batch of small boilered locos, rather than the reboilered later batch that Bachmann are producing (at least to begin with) so I think I will get round to building it after all :)

Re the 7F, I have a DJH kit that I thought I might have wasted my money on, but it's for the original batch of small boilered locos, rather than the reboilered later batch that Bachmann are producing (at least to begin with) so I think I will get round to building it after all smile.gif
Hey up, Bachmann are doing the small boiler version. The large boiler 2-8-0s had gone by mid 1955, or was it just the boilers....?.

Looks like it is going to be an expensive year. Whilst having no interest in classes 86 and up, the 85 is one that I will probably by for reasons known only to my childhood memories. I'm glad to see the LNER wagons - these have been a huge gap in Bachmann's range for too long, and it is nice to see that gap plugged.

Are the 13t LNER opens the type that lasted to the early 1980s as ZGB/OHV wagons?

Well that looks like 3F late crest and a green 37 (Tinsley ) for me, about time we had a 3F tender Loco, wonder what chance Hornby releasing the larger 4F now. All I need now is the Flangeways Inspection Saloon 2011 I believe if the pound is right :D :D :D

For those wanting coaches how about the Ratio Midland coach kits. Using a bit of modellers licence. !!!

Are the 13t LNER opens the type that lasted to the early 1980s as ZGB/OHV wagons?

OHV yes, and ZGV in engineers use. ZGB would probably be the airbraked experimental wagons, which looked different as they had uprated suspension

Very pleased at the 350's smile.gif

Wasn't 350115 named Archimides though with 350111 being Apollo? Have they ever carried the names under LM livery?

Apollogies (sic) if I missed a reply to this, but the answer I think is 'no,' the LM-branded units are all anonymous.

I must say it seams ask and you are heard a new batch of evening stars will be good if they are not all gone to quickly there will be one coming to my layout.I did not think after posting on topic on here it would happen but goes to show people at Bachmann must read the forum

I must say it seams ask and you are heard a new batch of evening stars will be good if they are not all gone to quickly there will be one coming to my layout.I did not think after posting on topic on here it would happen but goes to show people at Bachmann must read the forum

Ahem; sounds like a wishlister's charter :blink: I dont think there's too much doubt that they pop in here, but your thread only dates from January; these decisions will have been made in principle many months ago. I'd be very surprised if your thread alone had clinched the deal ;)

You're such a spoilsport, Pennine. There was I imagining they'd simply forgotten to mention GRCW Class 100 DMUs in their announcement after my throwaway mention of them last week wink.gif

Joking apart though, it's reassuring to see some bankers in the list to depress the eBay bonanza: as well as the spaceships, the EE Type 3 and 45/1 for that matter are good solid additions, I bet when I digest the very extensive wagon list there's much to celebrate there too. Out of interest, did we establish what nose style 45120 nee D107 is likely to have?

EDIT: with my somewhat cynical/ self-preservation (read wallet-preservation) hat on, I'm glad that there's no re-tool of the 25 or 40, nor a Highland 24 in the offing, now that my homebrew project to recreate a pair of the latter has gained momentum, and my policy to use the Railroad 40 on the fleet of Italian plastic is ready for roll-out wink.gif

Hey up, Bachmann are doing the small boiler version. The large boiler 2-8-0s had gone by mid 1955, or was it just the boilers....?.

It was just the boilers.

Well, what a nice selection. I'm sure Bachmann are pleased to see lots of good feedback here.

There isn't a huge amount here that will be suited to me, although the GSYP Derby Lightweight may well be picked up, if only because I really like the prototype.

• RMweb Gold

With tongue firmly in cheek, Bachmann ought to be issuing 53809 as 13809 in LMS black so that it fits in with the rest of their range. As you can see from the pictures I took in 1981 it can be combined with blue/grey Mk1s, both standard and Pullman, and at York it was sat alongside a blue Deltic for a while, also in the range!

It was one of my favourite main line preserved locos of the period, it fits in with one of my two periods (1980s BR Blue) and it's my layout so I'll run what I like into my East Anglian terminus! :icon_lol:

Looking at the photos it looks to be quite a tall loco, it towers above the Mk1s - I'm sure someone will comment adversely on how high it sits when we finally get to see one...

Another sale for Bachmann!

Leaving York with Mk1s on it's first outing

1981_08_33.jpg

Between Clapham and Giggleswick with the SLOA Pullman rake

1982123.jpg

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the details Andy. I turned the PC off at 10am as Andrew Marr finished, just before the announcement and now.... 6 pages - blimey!

No Big four coaches????? The mind boggles! .....

......... Yes there are bound to be dissapointments, but to completely miss out on railway carriages built between 1924 and 1951 is weard when most of the locos and wagons in the catalogue are from that era.......

Larry G.

I am also surprised there are no new coaches. - We have done the lack of new coaches this year from Hornby, so I won't go there! - Maybe 2011

Not much on offer for the Great Western fan, so I can shell out with the Hornby Castle and 28xx - Oh another 57xx and perhaps a 2nd Hall! - Still an expensive year!

I'm looking forward to 2011 already!

• RMweb Premium

They're doing the later batch, which had large boilers that were then replaced with the smaller boilers. There were a few differences between the original small boiler versions and the later reboilered small boiler versions, more details here: SDRT 7F Info but the later ones had packing in the smokebox saddle to meet the greater height of the smaller boiler.

Edit: two pictures on wiki, not brilliant one of 53804 but can just make out the smokebox saddle 53804, and of 53808 showing the packing out 53808

More 37/5s that were from TE, with Ltd editions you could have half the TE fleet, and no 47s! they will just stick to Ltd editions then. Some good wagons, flask and BAAs the latter ive made lots of lits (typical)................ 37/0 and 37251 in blue is good news. In general i cant wait for catalogue.

• RMweb Premium

Do any of the S&DJR buffs know whether the 7Fs ever worked through to Weymouth? I know there was some traffic off that route through to Weymouth, but have no idea how much. There's a photo of a 4F at Weymouth MPD in "The Great Western Railway 150 Glorious years". If it was off a regular working maybe 7Fs may have worked it also. I think they may have done in my alternate universe though!

Pete

Well I was right about the DLW then! And the 350, not the 365 I predicted, but the same family in that it covers OHL & 3rd rail with more than 1 class! Must admit I am surprised about the SDJR 2-8-0 so soon but it is a glamour choice and was expected sometime. The themes now running through the Bachmann programme bode well for the future I think, a bit of joined up thinking to boost potential sales. Those LNER wagons are ideal for me too. Other releases such as nuclear wagon Southern buildings, not for me but excellent choices all round. Any idea where we can see pictures? I guess the Bachmann site is waiting for the working week so I'll have to be patient!

Now, that 3F 0-6-0? I'm sure I've seen one at Cambridge, can anyone confirm this? Probably from Bedford via Sandy, or Kettering via StIves, thought Hichin from Bedford is also possible?

Archived