RMweb

Bachmann DBSO driving brake second open

class37418stag

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, E100 said:

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/site/search?q=39-725dc - Am I correct in thinking you could make up a 39-725DC DBSO from these parts with only the wheels needed to finish it?

Wheels being https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/mk2f-coaches-black-axle-for-bogie/e3965-239-03

In which case that's only £99 but self assembly and no box?

I had noticed that as well, at original rrp these were £79.95… inflation caught up with the newer ones, lesser so with the spares.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

9702 and 9703 are the only pair with a wider centre window. I wonder if narrow window will feature on future yellow releases, both with and without generator grills and fuel tank?

Jo

9714 used to have a wide centre window before having the SGT gear fitted... flickr pics

DBSO 9714

9714 (DBSO) @ Dingwall

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

someone is bound to do a 3D print of the gizmos on the front, on the body side is it just a window thats been blocked, and a vented grill in the baggage area of one side, of are there other differences ?

That’s exactly what I did!

• Like 1

On 03/08/2022 at 14:29, big jim said:

I’m hoping for a generator fitted NR DBSO at some point, 9708 was my passing out ‘coach’ 

you can even get away with running it with just a single 37!

3A56C50E-DA40-4BF6-804E-564C405D6A21.jpg

Jim, went theses were first tested, im sure a gen van was used! 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Jim, went theses were first tested, im sure a gen van was used! 

As you know will no doubt already know but it’s handy for those modelling IM trains with the current Bachmann offering, If the DBSO isn’t genny fitted then a generator van is needed (or at least a coach with a generator such as mentor) to power the controls etc on the DBSO   

i can’t remember what we were doing that day at CV Loughborough, got a feeling it was a turning move from derby via toton

i also remember taking 9708 with 37608 to stockport to collect a knackered train that had been left in the sidings there, i said to control that we wouldn’t be able to couple them up due to both of the DBSO having the gubbins in the front, I basically got told I  was wrong and they would couple up fine, low and behold turned up and the head to head the lights were about a foot apart but the buffers were 2 ft apart! Rhey ended up going there the day after and taking all the stuff off the front! 

Edited by big jim
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, big jim said:

i also remember taking 9708 with 37608 to stockport to collect a knackered train that had been left in the sidings there, i said to control that we wouldn’t be able to couple them up due to both of the DBSO having the gubbins in the front, I basically got told I  was wrong and they would couple up fine, low and behold turned up and the head to head the lights were about a foot apart but the buffers were 2 ft apart! Rhey ended up going there the day after and taking all the stuff off the front! 

Have you tried buffering a 70 up to one with a tail lamp on the bracket? There's a few with brackets bent back a few degrees...

Back to DBSO / RTOVs, I think 9714 might be a target for me in N, as it had the big window and no lights for most of my modelling period.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So got my spare parts build of 39-725DC. Worked out well enough but also needed the weight, wheel pick ups and screws obtaining from the spares website (as well as the list I previously posted) which I thankfully remembered to get. The only thing I am missing now is a detail pack, which I will phone them to hopefully see if they have anything in stock.

Aware it's not quite in the spirit of the spares website and don't plan to use this method for anything else but it's been so long since the release and not sure it'll happen anytime soon.

One thing I am struggling with is programming the coach to a different DCC address. I've used JMRI and the Digitrax handset programmer to no avail. Re-read and comes back as the changed number and but refuses to turn on the lights. I reset it back to 0003 using CV8 = 8 and works fine so don't know what's going on. And is now working!

Edited by E100

19 hours ago, E100 said:

So got my spare parts build of 39-725DC. Worked out well enough but also needed the weight, wheel pick ups and screws obtaining from the spares website (as well as the list I previously posted) which I thankfully remembered to get. The only thing I am missing now is a detail pack, which I will phone them to hopefully see if they have anything in stock.

Aware it's not quite in the spirit of the spares website and don't plan to use this method for anything else but it's been so long since the release and not sure it'll happen anytime soon.

One thing I am struggling with is programming the coach to a different DCC address. I've used JMRI and the Digitrax handset programmer to no avail. Re-read and comes back as the changed number and but refuses to turn on the lights. I reset it back to 0003 using CV8 = 8 and works fine so don't know what's going on.

Can there not be something odd about decoders needing a motor to program? If you pop it on your programming track with a loco and program both together (then presumably set the loco back to whatever you wanted on its own) does that work?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, GordonC said:

Can there not be something odd about decoders needing a motor to program? If you pop it on your programming track with a loco and program both together (then presumably set the loco back to whatever you wanted on its own) does that work?

Thankfully it is now working but that is a cracking idea for if I issues again.

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2022 at 13:51, GordonC said:

It depends...

'Function only'  decoders often have a dummy load on them, so that the DCC system "sees" the decoder.

On 20/08/2022 at 19:32, Alan Oliver said:

If anybody has any luck getting additional detail packs as spares I could do with a obstacle deflector for my Bachmann spares Scotrail DBSO.

I made some for my own that plug into the coupling socket - you can see them on my blog. PM me if you want to know more.

Slightly off-topic I know, but regarding the decoder situation, I now programme all my decoders through one of these fine things https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/products/esu-53900-decoder-tester

Tests all decoders (various interfaces available), with lights for functions etc and I've found is a much better way to not only programme them (wired to my programming track output), but also test to see if they're working (yes Hornby decoders, I'm looking at you).

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to get excited about DBSOs again…

LSL just released 9707 today, in original Scotrail livery, complete with 5 other mk3’s.

311495539_182967097570190_45874029467944
(url link from facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=182967100903523&set=ecnf.100075707029121

its a little different from original form, gangway removed, modified lights and centre headlight, but Possible from the NR tooling I think.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Saw that last night on Facebook. Absolutely gorgeous.

The light clusters are the biggest difference as you say. They're at a different height so not just a simple case of removing the main headlight on the driver's side and converting markers to tails etc. Middle gangway window appears to be the narrower one. Black grill looks a bit different too. Couple of extra jumper connections etc, and of course the top marker light, and you're onto a winner!

• 5 months later...
54 minutes ago, Markwj said:

There is a blue/ grey DBSO up on eBay now- haven’t seen this livery come up often, did Bachmann alter the tooling or can they still produce this livery? 
Mark

Not sure I've seen any mention anywhere of whether they can or not since they've made later versions of the DBSOs

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Not sure I've seen any mention anywhere of whether they can or not since they've made later versions of the DBSOs

Thanks wasn't sure if they had to alter tooling or not for later varients

7 hours ago, Markwj said:

There is a blue/ grey DBSO up on eBay now- haven’t seen this livery come up often, did Bachmann alter the tooling or can they still produce this livery? 
Mark

This (39-725) was released in the first batch of DBSOs along with the BR ScotRail one (39-726) in 2019.
According to Bachmann’s 2022 release announcement, the latest DBSOs are new tooling. I would think they still have the original tooling available to do the 1980s examples again as demand for them is so great (saw a BR ScotRail one go for £300 on eBay last month). 

• Thanks 1