Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next month, the layout will be attending DEMU and this will probably be its last outing for the foreseeable future due to no longer having anywhere to set it up (until I build a garage). It’s also difficult to work on with the bungalow being upside down with all of the building work and decorating going on but it does give me some time to get the HST sets all finished along with my 9 car IET and the Whatley boxes. I’ve also decided to throw a spanner in the works and build a jumbo train using JHAs and HOAs and a Military train (following the success of Ian’s train running on the layout). Although these aren’t prototypical for the location, it does give some interesting viewing options! 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oak Road appeared this month on the free calendar that came with one of the model mags, a useful reminder of this excellent layout, and a jog to make a small donation. Hope to see the layout in the flesh again soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well that’s DEMU Showcase ticked off, and what a great show it was too! After a pretty annoying drive it was a relief to get the layout up fairly quickly and find a work around for a couple of small niggling issues enabling us to have all sorts of trains running just about everywhere. We were lucky to have some new Revolution samples to test and we also put the new Cavalex 56 through it’s paces. By all accounts, there were some pretty cracking layouts on display but we were so busy that we didn’t really get to see them. We could’ve got a look around this morning my dimwit here left his van key at the hotel so Rhys had to go back for it while Ian and I were stranded in the car park. Anyway, that’s another show done and dusted and the layout can go back to storage. Stafford 2023 is a very strong possibility for the chance to see it if you missed it this time around. Three notes to self: Don’t leave your key in your hotel room miles away from the venue. If it’s hot, take a fan!! Remember ear plugs - Ian’s snoring is getting worse!!!! 

Unfortunately some of the wagons got vandalised over night with graffiti which was most annoying. Looking at the tags, we believe it was someone called Wiz but they’d long gone by the time we’d managed to get in on Sunday morning. 

Many thanks to Ian and Rhys for doing a sterling job of keeping the trains running, along with a thank you to a chap called Pete from Warley MRC who stepped in to help operate the layout on Saturday afternoon and Andy who helped out for an hour or so today. Also thanks to Mick for the loan of two barrier coaches for the weekend. I’m not quite finished yet…. Thanks Cavalex and Revolution Trains for your company on Saturday evening and a very big thank you to Guy Molyneux and the Showcase team for making us all feel very welcome.

See you all in a year’s time. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/04/2023 at 17:58, TimberValleyRailway said:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Oak Road is scheduled to appear anywhere this year? Would love to go and see it again.

Best wishes

Unfortunately not. I was going to take it to Stafford but with work events coming thick and fast around September / October and a busy work schedule, combined with Market Lavington going to Taunton, it was just impossible to do. There’s no other plans for it go go out in the future at present.   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Unfortunately not. I was going to take it to Stafford but with work events coming thick and fast around September / October and a busy work schedule, combined with Market Lavington going to Taunton, it was just impossible to do. There’s no other plans for it go go out in the future at present.   

Working for Revolution has taken you to the Dark side to model in N, Mike.

• Funny 3

On 01/04/2022 at 00:06, surfsup said:

As you might have guessed, I might have spent some time watching this one (along with Deadman’s Lane

TBH these two are probably my favourite layouts having seen them at shows. The appeal for me is main line present day (ish) with decent train lengths and some main line speed too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Working for Revolution has taken you to the Dark side to model in N, Mike.

I've always had N Gauge Eric and only really got back in to 4mm when I started building Oak Road. Space is a huge factor with the layout and until I can build a shed big enough to accommodate it, it'll stay locked in the container for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/04/2023 at 23:06, Revolution Mike B said:

I've always had N Gauge Eric and only really got back in to 4mm when I started building Oak Road. Space is a huge factor with the layout and until I can build a shed big enough to accommodate it, it'll stay locked in the container for the foreseeable future. 

I know the feeling with a layout living in a container, Weaver Hill suffers the same, and is only able to see the light of day at a show. 

The quality if N now has really made me consider downsizing. I've a few items of N and always enjoy running them on the club layout. It's Revolution that has really opened this market up to myself with their units, something that's lacking in the 00 market. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2023 at 22:17, TimberValleyRailway said:

Hi there,

I really like the platforms here, and i'd like to try something similar on my layout - how did you construct them please? (Fairly certain you've answered this question before but I couldn't find the right post!)

Thanks and Best Wishes

Its a little further back in this thread

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

With the rumour mill rumbling on at a faster rate than my colleague's ex employers's, I thought I'd best come clean and announce the fact that Oak Road IS due to make an appearance at Taunton show in October this year. My N Gauge layout is undergoing some fairly sizeable modifications and with work commitments growing by the day, there's no way it would be ready in time, so Steve asked my if I'd like to return to the scene of the crime......with Oak Road again? Naturally, with Taunton being an excellent show, I said yes immediately. 

Rhys is taking his new Porthleven layout and Ian has offered to help, so I've drafted in the N Gauge team of Revolution Ben, Stedfast and NJEE20 (Ben, Jo and Nick) to assist with the train crashing.

Another rumour has it that along with some of our Revolution Trains models, a Cavalex 56 will be running around again with some JYA samples!

There's a good chance that this could turn in to a Jolly Boys Weekend Away as Revolution Mike is taking Oldshaw, and my other friend Steve is also attending with Chilcompton Tunnel.

Whilst most of the Revolution Team will be at the show, I will just point out that we're there in a social capacity and taking a break from the day job.

More updates to follow at a later date.

• Like 15