The most usefull soldering / clamping tool..... Has it gone forever ?

• RMweb Gold

The wife`s hairdressing bag is now empty of these hair clips  and Granny has gone to `pastures new`.......

I can`t find these in the shops anywhere !!!!

Today`s hair clips are no use..............

post-17779-0-69349200-1464169813_thumb.jpg

Any ideas  ????????

John

The wife`s hairdressing bag is now empty of these hair clips  and Granny has gone to `pastures new`.......

I can`t find these in the shops anywhere !!!!

Today`s hair clips are no use..............

attachicon.gifDSC02749.JPG

Any ideas  ????????

John

Try the local markets, they stock them around the midlands , for pennies. Have a close look at the haberdashery type stalls....

£14 for 5, or less than a fiver for 36, are Eileen's made of gold or something?

I've got a load of assorted hue machine twisted natural fibre scale rope, which you can have for a fiver a metre......just don't call it cotton on a reel.

• RMweb Premium

I've got a load of assorted hue machine twisted natural fibre scale rope, which you can have for a fiver a metre......just don't call it cotton on a reel.

Hi

Didn't notice the price. I bought mine years ago and they weren't £14 for 5 then

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks folks!!!

Can`t find a `habidashery` stall at my local markets ..........

I`m all for supporting modelling businessess....... but      £14 . 40  for 5 clips !!!!!    I`d rather hold the parts with my bare fingers !!!!!!

Naturally !!!    I`ve   settled for the 36 for £4.49 and free postage  !!!!    They should last me until I join Granny !!!!!

Cheers all

John

I`m all for supporting modelling businessess....... but £14.40 for 5 clips !!!!!

And if you shop around even cheaper 50 for £3.71 (or buy 100 and get an extra 5% off) with free P+P

Plenty out there, not even need to leave the house or visit the local dodgy market. I am a keen supporter of Eileens but this level of markup just isn't going to attract business.

Wooden sprung clothes pegs are a possible alternative.

Gordon A

Or finely crafted wooden holders, made from selected sustainable wood, with a machine inserted (!) coiled spring and made to exacting tolerances, £14 for 5!

• RMweb Gold

Places like Superdrug and Boots have plenty of them. Not as cheap as the ebay bargains, but easy enough to find and much better than £14!

For £2.50 on Ebay you can get the single bladed Alligator type in 50's, sometimes call duckbill clips.......there is certainly no shortage of types available! Some in Poundland are coloured like plastic, but they are anodised Aluminium and heat proof.

Stephen.

single bladed Alligator type in 50's, sometimes call duckbill clips

minor word of caution on both the alligator and the bent versions - they are not as good or as useful as the flat double pronged type. The alligator (ones with teeth) are not as good as heat sinks and tend to mark the brass (but ok with harder n/s) and beware if you use an RSU and touch them the contact surface area is so small that it is enough to even puncture brass (yes I've been there and tried them). The bent ones also have a serious downside as they suffer from a similar issue with contact surface area as well as being not flat just when you are trying to clamp two flat items together.

My advice stick with the type in the OP. Or the wooden sprung pegs when you don't need the heat-sink property. My workbench is littered with them. Most useful? Well never thought of it that way, but certainly most used.

• RMweb Premium

That is just plain taking the p!ss. Whoever set that price should hold their heads in shame :nono:

• RMweb Premium

With the sprung wooden pegs, I invert a lot of them so that the bit that you normally pinch becomes the clamping end. Just reverse the wooden bits in the spring. This gives a much larger smooth surface.

With the sprung wooden pegs, I invert a lot of them so that the bit that you normally pinch becomes the clamping end. Just reverse the wooden bits in the spring. This gives a much larger smooth surface.

So it does. Why didn't I think of that?

Or finely crafted wooden holders, made from selected sustainable wood, with a machine inserted (!) coiled spring and made to exacting tolerances, £14 for 5!

Two years on, and you've got too much time on your hands !

Brian R

Archived