Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Top Gear?

'CHARD

The interviews ahead of the Star in a Rallycross Car bit kill the pace of the show stone dead. Needs a radical rethink IMHO.

What metrics does iPlayer send to the BBC?

Can they tell everyone skips through that bit?

• RMweb Premium

It says something about their priorities when the BBC website gives far greater prominence to the host of a TV show stepping down than it does to a certain politician doing the same, which could, arguably, be slightly more of a significant event in the big scheme of things.

• RMweb Gold

Good, CE's style just grated amongst the more subtle humour of the others. I even think more playing on the diverse nationalities of the presenters could easily being a new twist to the buffoonery of 'the three'.

None of them fit the lazy national stereotypes but aren't afraid to take the p out of the others. While I'd avoided it initially and then made use of skip a lot it still had some of the silly fun, and even if intended they reacted like it was genuine, when the right people were in screen.

Jolly good. Bye bye indeed. You'll be missed. Not.

As others have said, Matt is handling his role really well and has a nice presenting style, so I hope he stays. Backed up by more screen time from Chris Harris, Rory Reid and Sabine, the next series should be one to watch, assuming they drive Eddie Jordan out into the middle of nowhere and leave him there.

• Like 2

I don't believe CE is a useless ginger whinger. I don't care for his presenting style, to the extent that I won't watch or listen to anything with him in it, but he clearly knows a good deal about getting a show up and running.

I did predict a while ago that this would prove to have been his main function, so can I have my bag or Werther's Original's please?

• Like 1

... he clearly knows a good deal about getting a show up and running.

I did predict a while ago that this would prove to have been his main function....

If indeed that has been his main function, then by any metrics of success he has signally failed: critical response and viewing figures don't lie.

He fell out with or alienated co-presenters and crew alike, if the reports are to be believed.  The next series will stick with the remaining motley crew of presenters, the BBC has said.

So I'm not sure what his function was other than to pick up where the previous team had left off, tinker with the format, and inevitably watch the whole thing fall flat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Michael Fararge, Boris Johnson as they have time on there hands and Jeremy Corbin could join them soon.

What a team for TG

Ho Ho

Looking at his bicycle I don't think Carry-On Corbyn has the level of enthusiasm for transport that the role requires.

• RMweb Gold

Michael Fararge, Boris Johnson as they have time on there hands and Jeremy Corbin could join them soon.

What a team for TG

Ho Ho

Farage would make a great England manager.

Farage would make a great England manager.

Nope.

Simon Kohler for manager.

Chris Evans to UKIP.

Boris to Locomotion.

Farage is halfway there to being a London cabbie.

Ozzy Osbourne to TG.

Sorted.

Cracking.

I hear there's a PM job going.

I don't think anyone really wants that; it's a bit difficult at the minute. They're not likely to last five minutes and they'll always look worried; give it to Woy then.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone really wants that; it's a bit difficult at the minute. They're not likely to last five minutes and they'll always look worried; give it to Woy then.

Nah, Ozzy! Imagine that at world meetings, I'd pay to see it! :sungum:

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

It is good news that Chris Evans is leaving. Though I wonder how much of the show being able to get going again was down to Evans and le blanc money and influence.

Matt works, Rory and the other Chris work. Sabine was always going to work.

Eddie Jordan definitely didn't work.

Will be Interesting to see what changes will get made before the next series airs. Though I also wonder if they'll wait for the new three idiots show to air and take something from how that goes.

Not surprised CE is leaving. Despite my more positive / optimistic views of the series at the start I became fed up with his ranting and bored by some of the features. Not seen episode 6 yet and only caught up on episode 5 last night. I have found Matt to be capable in the presenting role and in the film sections too. The other Chris + Rory are good and I enjoyed the Jaguar film from episode 5. Eddie Jordan is a waste of space and needs to go and, I am afraid, Sabine has to go too. True she is a cracking driver - but she is no good as a presenter. Sorry to here fans in this forum, but she has underwhelmed me. Her only positive was making CE sick!!

I hope she the new series returns it will be slicker, with better challenges. Very few have reached past heights this series.

• RMweb Premium

Not a great Evans fan, or of his crowd of cronies, but I think he has handled this rather well and with a bit of dignity. Good for him. I'm sure he didn't need the hassle , why not just walk away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. I spy a conspiracy.

Evans was a useful idiot and may have been employed for this purpose. I think most people agree he was the worst thing about TG and that generally, the other presenters are pretty good.

This series, he has drawn the fire from critics and his departure will persuade a lot of people to give the next series another look. Some of the Clarkson lovers will feel they have had a pounf of flesh. JC isn't going to come back but at least they gave the ginger whinger a slap.

Evans will scuttle away and do other things. It's hardly like he's on the breadline after all, nor short of friends within the media who will hand him other projects on a plate.

Personally I think it is biug name to attract people, but motoring fans are not a large overlap with CE fans.

CE is so polarising

Will be good to see Matt without that xxxx so will watch the next series

• RMweb Premium

Ironically, I thought C.E (who I normally can't stand) was reasonably OK last night - I quite enjoyed the Super-MGB feature.

The interviews ahead of the Star in a Rallycross Car bit kill the pace of the show stone dead. Needs a radical rethink IMHO.

Matt LeBlanc is definitely coming into his own as anchor-that-can-do-bits-with-the-experts-too. I thought his piece on the Porsche 911R was very well done.

If the finale of this series was anything to go by, they have made decent progress. I still don't have a clue what Eddie Jordan is there for, though.

John

Job placement?

I could get naughty but I won't

• RMweb Premium

Maybe this will give the production team the freedom to be more ambitious next series in finding a new direction and breaking free from trying to be like JC era TG. The other presenters are very good, the production values are very good and I do think there is a lot of potential. For all I didn't like Chris Evans I do think it was too simplistic to make him a scapegoat for everything that has gone wrong as it was also the format and content that felt very tired. I really think that the other presenters (apart from Jordan, I'd dump him) have the makings of a first class show if they're allowed to develop the show and stamp their own personalities on it.

• RMweb Premium

Not sad to see CE going. EJ needs to follow suit.

Whilst undoubtedly a very talented and great driver, Sabine isn't great at presenting. perhaps they should have her as a Stig replacement - leave her to do what she's good at, driving??