Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Facelifting the Hornby 2721 Class Pannier

That was good timing. My second one arrived today, and hopefully I'll be starting on two conversions soon, so your article is very useful. One will be converted to one of the 1813 class that was fitted with panniers in 1904, in EM gauge. The other conversion should be rather more drastic!

I wonder if any one knows if the Bachmann chassis would fit underneath without major butchery ?.    :bomb_mini:

There is a thread on this on the Model Rail forum. I commented but it needs some butchery around the firebox door area which reveals the chassis.

However as someone with three burned out Bachmann pannier chassis and a Bachmann Pannier powered by a 1970s Triang Hall chassis with Romford wheels and with new axle holes drilled to suit the Bachmann coupling rods I just can't see the point.

• Like 1

Has anyone converted the Hornby chassis to EM? It's the Chinese made one with traction tyres. I'd like to do a quick job by sliding the wheels out on the axles, if it will work. I can always do something better later, but for now I just need a working loco. I've got two chassis, and will be replacing the wheels on the other one, so I'd like to replace the wheels with traction tyres with flanged ones from the second chassis.

I wonder if any one knows if the Bachmann chassis would fit underneath without major butchery ?.    :bomb_mini:

This has been posted before but here is my effort at converting the Hornby body.  Using the small Dremell sanding drum with careful shaving the inside, the Bachmann 57XX chassis will fit in place of the dreadful Scalextric motor powered chassis that normally comes with the Hornby model. This one has received 1930's upgrade with full cab etc. It also enables daylight to be seen under the boiler and the Bachmann chassis has the bolier base as part of the assembly. This was a really cheap conversion based on a Roger Carpenter collection photo from one of the model shows. The body was £12.50 of eBay and the chassis came from a redundant Bachmann Pannier. There is also lots of room for weight in the Hornby tanks.

post-9992-0-42604700-1464850854.jpg

post-9992-0-27857100-1464850855.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 9

Thanks all for your comments and interest. I did think about using a Bachmann chassis in place of the Hornby one but did not have one to hand nor could I find one from the usual source at the time. The other issue was wheel spacing: with the Hornby body designed for the generic chassis, the splashers are pretty much in line with the wheel sets. The Bachmann chassis suffers slightly in this respect [although it is, undeniably, a better runner].

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes the 'like' button doesn't do something justice.An absolute beauty.

That's what the Craftsmanship button is for ;) 

Splendid job, really must get mine sorted out too at some point. I've had to replace the chimney due to a teenage botch job when I tried to drill it out for some unfathomable reason.

Well I must say that looks really good and deserves the praise it has received......I was so impressed with this article I have just tonight purchased a loco from good old e-bay to have a go myself, I even found some old etched plates in my box of bits and a nice safety valve......I love the canopy under the roof looks good.......well done, a smashing article and gives us all a bit of inspiration.....

Dave brighty.......

Compromise abounds [particularly the lamp irons and brake pull rods] but a pretty ex-works result.

DSC_0120_zpsnipyxiyg.jpg

DSC_0111_zpswnbomfnu.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsqlnl1xf6.jpg

More photos and commentary here [and paeans of praise for 'Klear'...]:

http://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier/

Tony

Without doubt that's the best job I've seen anyone do on an RTR model. This model in terms of detail isn't bad, but you've just done an absolutely marvelous job.

PS: My jaw is on the floor and no I haven't fallen down!

• Like 1

Thank you MGR - my Christmas card list is getting longer and longer.

Some Finney 2721 parts are also available from Brassmasters nowadays.

Thanks, worth knowing - I wish I'd known that before !

Tony

Is it from the eLink starter set? Or have you had this in your possession for years? I'm toying with the idea of going DCC, I don't have much nor do I have a layout. So it seems a great time to start. I'm so impressed with your work that I wanted to give it a go on a slightly less detailing scale as a first

• RMweb Gold

Cracking job, only the coupling rods and bolt-heads betray its origins.

If you do want to fit a better chassis without a mismatched wheelbase, try South Eastern Finecast.

Many of their older products date back to the times of body kits to fit r-t-r mechanisms and they nowadays offer an etched n/s chassis kit to replace the old Tri-ang/Hornby 0-6-0. 

John   

Is it from the eLink starter set? Or have you had this in your possession for years? I'm toying with the idea of going DCC, I don't have much nor do I have a layout. So it seems a great time to start. I'm so impressed with your work that I wanted to give it a go on a slightly less detailing scale as a first

No, this is one of two that I have. This one was purchased at least five years ago for, I think, £45 new. The other model I have is an original '80s release. There are usually plenty on eBay.

Tony

There are loads on eBay, at all sorts of prices. I got a body for £5.50 plus postage, £8.40 in total. I already had a chassis I got for £10 with free postage on a BIN. The latest complete loco was £17.52 with free postage. Both chassis are what I think are the latest version. I missed one at 99p plus post that no one bid on, but I forgot to bid until it was too late! There are also lots on offer for far more, but if you're patient you should be able to get one for under £20 (maybe even well under).

There are loads on eBay, at all sorts of prices. I got a body for £5.50 plus postage, £8.40 in total. I already had a chassis I got for £10 with free postage on a BIN. The latest complete loco was £17.52 with free postage. Both chassis are what I think are the latest version. I missed one at 99p plus post that no one bid on, but I forgot to bid until it was too late! There are also lots on offer for far more, but if you're patient you should be able to get one for under £20 (maybe even well under).

Get them before they become popular. Let the eBay prices of formerly-unpopular models such as the APT be a warning!!

These locos are also a good base for back dating to the saddle tank 0-6-0's. I've got a couple of panniers in my stash and will be getting a couple more for conversion back. 

I've got a whitemetal saddle tank waiting to go on one of mine. The other one is going back to within a year or so of the first panniers being fitted to any 0-6-0. I was originally thinking of altering it to the short panniers first fitted to a 2721, but will be doing a long pannier version of an 1813 class. The panniers fitted to the 1813s were built to go on the 2721s, but the 1813s went into the works first, so got them instead. I wonder how many people will tell me that it shouldn't be painted Indian red below the footplate, and should say Great Western on the tanks!

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed, and very good timing as well as you have inspired me to have a go. Although I am thinking of substituting a high level 57xx chassis when I reporter it. Having just found a photo of 2785 at Newton Abbot in 1947 in what I believe to be GWR black (given it was rebuilt in the early 40s after after bomb damage), makes it even more tempting.

Now to keep an eye on eBay for one of the inevitable ridiculously cheap bodies...