Hi Peter

Shame I wasn't closer to Swanage, i would have shown you around......

Hope you get some solid miles in behind 201 if youre down there! :)

Worthy of note are the black lamp irons on your pic of 201. Loads of Crompton guys have commented they never had them - they were always yellow. 

That disproves that theory!! :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :sarcastichand:

Cheers

Trev  :good:

Hi Trev,

I might not get to Swanage but if 201 is working I will certainly try. I am doing a few other pres lines while I am over so wont push my luck.

I think 33201 was one of the only ones to get the black lamp irons I think there was a 33/0 that had them for a while too.

I had a sleep on a class 47 while waiting to do a shunt at Eastleigh one morning, resting my feet on the cooker to stop it rattling.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter.

Love the 60 Trev. Cav's currently doing me one in 3TG Construction for PDW. I'm getting impatient now seeing yours. HaHa!

Cheers mate

for some reason the body is a bit wonky on this one. Ill have to have a good look to see if i can rectify it.

it needs plates and depot plaques/BR arrows then its done :)

Nice pictures mate although sad at the same time. You need to put some wheels on the bottom of that Chapman seat and use it as your layout chair. Often wondered whether you could get a EE power controller, remove the gubbins from the bottom and use it as a controller. How cool would that be. I did know some one who was building a mock Peak cab in their garage with one of these huge home cinema screens in front and somehow wiring it up to the computer so he could play his Train Sim game on it. Haven't seen him for ages so don't know if he ever completed it.

Yes mate

Ive got lots of pictures from our multiple visits to Rotherham for component recovery.

its a strange thing to be removing bits from the locos youve been familiar (not biblically!) with over the years - old friends even!

My drivers seat went to The Growler Group for 248 so hopefully it will live on!

Ive often thought about a desk with power handle, vac and train brake, etc for use as a controller...... :)

I did have a fire bell from 37887 and was going to get my mate to wire it up to the house phone so I could hear it when I was in the loft!

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

I've done a fair bit of component recovery in my time when I was involved in preservation. As you say it always feels weird pulling bits off loco's you've been acquainted with over the years. Ones that spring to mind have been 37429 - could never get rid of the damn thing on the coast, 114 - longest trip behind a 37 Oban to Northampton with 116 and 886 - only NB to Fishguard.

As for the fire bell, you sound like my Dad. He used to work on the P Way and has a SPT rigged from the shed at the bottom of the garden to the house. Mum loves it of course (not) as it is usually used for ordering Tea. :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 2

I've done a fair bit of component recovery in my time when I was involved in preservation. As you say it always feels weird pulling bits off loco's you've been acquainted with over the years. Ones that spring to mind have been 37429 - could never get rid of the damn thing on the coast, 114 - longest trip behind a 37 Oban to Northampton with 116 and 886 - only NB to Fishguard.

As for the fire bell, you sound like my Dad. He used to work on the P Way and has a SPT rigged from the shed at the bottom of the garden to the house. Mum loves it of course (not) as it is usually used for ordering Tea. :biggrin_mini2:

What a great idea using an SPT... Mind you SWMBO wouldn't take kindly to orders being taken!!

Hopefully I can get back in the garage tonight as last night was written off due to the heat. 34 degrees on my drive at 18.30. eek.

You've got to feel sorry for the guys driving sheds from the rad end with that lovely 'hot air being blown forwards even when in motion' thing going on!

Itching to get the wiring completed. I think a few more days and it'll be in the bag then I can start ballasting in earnest.

What a great idea using an SPT... Mind you SWMBO wouldn't take kindly to orders being taken!!

Hopefully I can get back in the garage tonight as last night was written off due to the heat. 34 degrees on my drive at 18.30. eek.

You've got to feel sorry for the guys driving sheds from the rad end with that lovely 'hot air being blown forwards even when in motion' thing going on!

Itching to get the wiring completed. I think a few more days and it'll be in the bag then I can start ballasting in earnest.

I'm lucky today. I'm fan end but I've got 66730 with a whacking great air con module in the roof. Positively artic sat here at Humberston Road. Good job as I'm here for two hours. It was hot last night. Just going in the loft to get those cabinets was quite enough.

• Like 1

C

Loving the layout Trev! Keep up the great modelling, certainly given me some inspirations

Cheers Tom much appreciated. :good:

Ive not got much to show at the moment, as i am rectifying a few issues I have with wiring.

Otherwise, i'd had a load of pics that kind of look the same, and seem not to show any advancement!

Still hopefully I can finish putting right my c*ck ups and get ready for ballasting over the weekend!

Cheers

Trev :)

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

C

Cheers Tom much appreciated. :good:

Ive not got much to show at the moment, as i am rectifying a few issues I have with wiring.

Otherwise, i'd had a load of pics that kind of look the same, and seem not to show any advancement!

Still hopefully I can finish putting right my c*ck ups and get ready for ballasting over the weekend!

Cheers

Probably at the hardest stage, with the wiring!! Will all be worth it and you'll regain momentum soon I bet

I have spent a few hours in the garage tonight on board 1 of 4, linking the droppers to the bus cables.

Ive soldered and trimmed about 18 pairs, and everything was OK with no shorts.

I tested as I went along to ensure that each set of connections was functioning correctly.

Now I have the middle board to do, probably tomorrow.

Here are a few obligatory shots showing stuff on test, in particular around the double slip that I was a bit worried about.

post-7156-0-21989800-1469233485_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-52909300-1469233512_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-61487400-1469233530_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-06142500-1469233556_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-53967800-1469233613_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

After a couple of 1AM finishes in the garage, I've reached my first real milestone!

All boards are wired and are functioning correctly with no stalling at low speeds.

I can now look forward to the scenic, painting, and getting the backscene sorted.

Here are a few pics of me having a play tonight. :)

post-7156-0-18103900-1469320055_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-50131400-1469320080_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-42647700-1469320123_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-86698000-1469320255_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-56770100-1469320329_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-07663500-1469320384_thumb.jpg

Mojo restored, looking forward to the next phases.

Cheers

• Like 7

I have spent a few hours in the garage tonight on board 1 of 4, linking the droppers to the bus cables.

Ive soldered and trimmed about 18 pairs, and everything was OK with no shorts.

I tested as I went along to ensure that each set of connections was functioning correctly.

Now I have the middle board to do, probably tomorrow.

Here are a few obligatory shots showing stuff on test, in particular around the double slip that I was a bit worried about.

attachicon.giflocos 1.jpg

attachicon.giflocos 2.jpg

attachicon.giflocos 3.jpg

attachicon.giflocos 4.jpg

attachicon.giflocos 5.jpg

nice double grey tractor .

That's rather a nice pair of tractors you're doing the testing with their Trev.

Cheers Marcus! :)

I think 803 needs re programming as the sound doesn't match the speed! - Its on idle for ages before the governor opens! (personally I think theres a problem with the control air)

Edited by big T

With not seeing my son this weekend, this has given me a few extra hours on the layout. (I found out he was at the DRS open day the cheeky monkey)

Now everything is up and running 100%, the next phase is airbrushing the basecoat on the track.

I managed one airbrush cup and these are the results.

post-7156-0-74582000-1469382674_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-43307300-1469382687_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-56662100-1469382746_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-45996600-1469382706_thumb.jpg

Edited by big T
  • Like 4