Nice one Marcus, I'll give Maplins in sunny Tamuurth a visit at the weekend  :yes: (in between painting the hallway and trying to fix the pond filter!) (yay!)

Ive had a bit of a gander, and this model seems reasonable. Adjustable temps etc.

Its not as if I'm not building brass 0 gauge kits, so the iron will just have to be basic but rugged. (I'll try not to drop this one!)...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-50w-mains-solder-station-n78ar

Have you had any of the latest sheds yet? (including that awful GWR thing with the bell... yuk!) Thank god were not getting any more!

Edited by big T

More nice stock pictures here Trev :sungum: :locomotive:

looking forward to more of this my mate..

Cheers mate much appreciated.

Had a slow week really what with a bit of decorating, long working days and getting ready for my daughters prom (dont ask!), but Im looking forward to cracking on with some new projects, particularly the dreaded wiring which Ive still not done.

Ive ordered some bits and bobs including a nice variable temperature soldering station from Maplins (Cheers to Marcus for the pointers for this bargain!),  some S & T cable trunking and some Knightwing Portacabins. 

Ive also just weighed in for a couple of locos and some wagons from a certain Mr S Langley of this parish, pictures of which will hopefully appear over the weekend. 

Im hoping for some dry weather over the weekend as I'd like to get the wiring done outdoors where the light is better, (Currently the layout is housed in my garage and the Lumens are in short supply!

As promised, a couple of photos to show my new acquisitions from Simon.

Bachmann 47560 "Tamar" in Intercity

post-7156-0-24428100-1467487440_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-27392200-1467487476_thumb.jpg

This is a particularly good looking model in my humblest opinion. Si has already added pipework to one bufferbeam and I think I will do the other too, then I will add wire coupling bars, and maybe add a tad more weathering, grease on the buffers, and I'll fit sound. Of course the real one is still with us as DRS' 47832.

Bachmann 37/0 - 37045 in Dutch Transrail.

This is another little beauty that will get some easy but effective mods - first of all Ill fit some snowploughs to replicate how it looked in 1999 after she had migrated away from the Scottish Region - filthy split box with ploughs - does it get any better?!

Then i'll add the usual pipework and get the airbrush out again. Finally ill add sound and coupling bars. I may replace the buffers as I cant stand the standard Bachmann offerings.

post-7156-0-20713100-1467488485_thumb.jpg

I also bought a Bachmann TSL (Traffic Services Limited) Polybulk in weathered green. Im not sure about the factory weathering as it looks too light and a bit in your face so I may tone it down a little and add some rust on the top edges. Ill add brake pipes too.

post-7156-0-35652400-1467489143_thumb.jpg

Lots of things to do!

Cheers for looking

Trev :)

Edited by big T
  • Like 6

Is that 37043 ?

If so I was talking to Simon on my thread about the strange filled in body side windows on it in the 90s and it may need lamp irons painted .

I have yet to do both on mine

Is that 37043 ?

If so I was talking to Simon on my thread about the strange filled in body side windows on it in the 90s and it may need lamp irons painted .

I have yet to do both on mine

Hi Rob,

Yes that's the one. Ive yet to do my research on this one, but im sure the lamp irons on the model are white.

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1

Over the course of the weekend I have started to carry out the wiring in earnest. Its not one of my favourite tasks I must admit.

I'm not particularly happy with my new Maplins soldering iron either as it just doesnt seem to get hot enough, even on the maximum setting. £25 down the plug hole - joy!  :O

Anyhoo, I flipped the layout over and supported it across two chairs with added foam on the seats to protect the track from damage which gives a reasonable platform from which to work.

Having consigned the new soldering iron to the shelf for now, i dug my old soldering iron out and gave it another go, and it worked with no unusual emissions. Bonus.  :good:

post-7156-0-11313500-1467701196_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-38522300-1467701427_thumb.jpg

I had some two core multistrand blue and brown cable from work which I am using for the bus cable. to this I am soldering the individual droppers, which are single core via chocolate box connectors. Not sure how everyone else does it, but this seems to work OK for me.

Edited by big T

Morning Trev

Like your new additions to the fleet, especially the Dutch tractor. Very nice indeed. 

Sorry to here about the Soldering Iron. Is it Anntex? I've just got a bog standard iron which isn't variable but that seems to heat up quickly and gets nice and hot. Especially when I accidentally touch the end of it!  :O

Might be worth taking it back.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Morning Trev

Like your new additions to the fleet, especially the Dutch tractor. Very nice indeed. 

Sorry to here about the Soldering Iron. Is it Anntex? I've just got a bog standard iron which isn't variable but that seems to heat up quickly and gets nice and hot. Especially when I accidentally touch the end of it!  :O

Might be worth taking it back.

Cheers

Marcus

Morning Marcus hope you are well.

Thank you, yes they're just what I was after. trying desperately to resist weathering them!

No worries about the soldering iron mate its one of them! -  someone has suggested giving it another go, as it may have been an "as new" type of thing and may have to be used a few times before getting into its stride?!

If not, Ill return it as I've still got the packaging. :good:

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Hi Trev.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Layout really starting to take shape and is right up my street! Your weathering in spot on too - especially the class 58 on the previous page.  

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by sdw7300
  • Like 1

Hi Trev.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Layout really starting to take shape and is right up my street! Your weathering in spot on too - especially the class 58 on the previous page.  

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Sam,

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I have a couple of grids - my personal fave is 56134 "Blyth Power" in RF Coal, nicely dirty and streaky!

My progress isn't as rapid as others on here, but its getting there slowly!

Cheers