The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

These aircraft were incredibly underpowered by modern standards, as shown by the very slow initial rate of climb.  Very good chase plane footage, I wonder if that was organized for the movie or already existed.

I last visited the museum at Wright-Patterson in the mid 90's and you could walk all around and under the one on inside display there.  There is also the surviving XB-70 Valkyrie there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ok, if we are discussing nuclear aircraft experiments look here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Nuclear_Aircraft_Laboratory

This area of Dawson Forest in north Georgia is still fenced off but there is no lingering radiation, at least according to the Forestry Service here.

This facility deliberately radiated parts of and whole aircraft to test the effects.  There have been lots of stories of two headed rabbits and other contaminated wildlife but nothing proven.  I lived in the vicinity until last year.....

• Informative/Useful 1

No photo sadly as I just wasn't quick enough, but what looked very much like a Bristol Beaufighter just flew over our house heading roughly south east, it was in dark grey livery with the D-Day stripes. Can anyone confirm what it was and where it was going...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

No photo sadly as I just wasn't quick enough, but what looked very much like a Bristol Beaufighter just flew over our house heading roughly south east, it was in dark grey livery with the D-Day stripes. Can anyone confirm what it was and where it was going...?

Normandy?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2020 at 12:59, Metr0Land said:

Some footage of B-36's from the film Strategic Air Command re-edited in 4K

Definitely a propaganda film but a good film nonetheless and probably the best ever footage of B36s and B47s

8 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Is there one flying? I know the Fighter Collection are/were restoring one but I don't think it's finished yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Big big visitor to Prestwick today for a fuelling stop

20200802_191526.jpg

20200802_145216.jpg

someone posted in line It would be flying over Silloth-on-Solway this afternoon, when I checked on Flightradar24 it had already gone over and was over barrow 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Are you sure it wasn't the Bristol Blenheim?  It was all black underneath. I hadn't heard of it getting invasion stripes and indeed am unsure if any took part in D-Day, though given so many thousands of aircraft were involved may have been there.

• Informative/Useful 1

I didn't think there were any flyable Beaufighters. The one at Duxford is still being restored.

The only surviving original Blenheim in the world is in Finland. There is a flyable Bristol Bolingbroke at Duxford but it doesn't have invasion stripes.

Could it have been the BBMF Dakota?

640px-Douglas_Dakota_III_'ZA947_-_UK'_(3

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Definitely not a Dakota, we used to get them coming over all the time when they operated out of Baginton Airport, it was much smaller than a Dak so most likely it was the Blenheim as Metroland suggested.

Thanks for the replies gents. If I'd been wearing my glasses when it passed over I'd seen a bit more detail...!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 03:58, Rugd1022 said:

Definitely not a Dakota, we used to get them coming over all the time when they operated out of Baginton Airport, it was much smaller than a Dak so most likely it was the Blenheim as Metroland suggested.

As mentioned there is only one Blenheim anywhere in the world and it's a static exhibit in Finland. The other "Blenheims" are Canadian-built Bolingbrokes.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mezzoman253 said:

It is certainly meant to be a hurricane but is unfortunately somewhat distorted.  The fuselage behind the cockpit looks wrong and the engine nacelle would not house a merlin.  It is a little unfair to be critical of other artists but whenever I paint or draw anything that has a very recognizable shape (including portaits) I trace or use a grid to get the proportions and angles correct.  Some would say this is cheating but artists through the years have used shortcuts to ensure accuracy (eg camera obscura).

• Like 2