Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update on Ultrascale and confirmation that it would be the customers' wheels that were used. I'd hoped that, being far more experienced machinists than me, they might be able to do the work much more quickly. I too was concerned about possible breakages. I did send a PM to Dave to ask about the availability of spare wheels but haven't heard from him about this yet. Given some of the other stuff in this thread, though, I'm sure he has his hands full.

The Gibson spoked coach wheel is an alternative. It would take a very dedicated spoke counter to notice the difference behind the bogie frames. According to my calipers, the Dapol stub axles are 2.00 - 2.03mm, compared with 1.99 - 2.00mm for the Gibson axles, so the fit should be ok but a drop of Loctite in the muffs may help in extreme cases. The only problem with this approach is that the rims will need shorting to the axles.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Sorry for not answering your PM. I do have 'some' wheels sets available, but must stress 'some' not loads.

If this is going to be viable for you guys, then i can get some sets in directly for Ultrascale or to any of you that want them.

I will need to work out how much per set but cannot do this until i can talk to the factory after CNY so please bear with me.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that very quick response, I certainly wasn't expecting anything so soon, or on a Sunday!

I imagine that anyone tackling the machining would feel much more comfortable if they knew it was possible to buy the odd one or two wheels from Dapol in case anything goes wrong. Longer term, I wonder whether they may be demand for spare gear/muffs as failure here is not unknown in other models using such a drive system?

Nick

• RMweb Premium
On the subject of wheel conversion, and following a chat with a fellow EMGS member at the Southampton show yesterday, which incidentally had a wide range of layouts and was excellent, one solution could be to use Alan Gibson 14mm spoked coach wheels if the Dapol Class 22 uses 2 mm axles. I know these are 10 and not 11 spoke, but if anyone can tell the difference when the loco is on the track their eyesight is much better than mine :O Can anyone confirm the axle size for me?

Chris P

It should be possible to convert the Dapol Wheels to EM, see:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1150-Dapol-class-22/page__view__findpost__p__584822

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I applaude Ultrascale for even considering offering a bespoke wheel-machining service, this will be understandably expensive, and I fear may end up costing almost as much as the locomotive, if not slightly more??, so I will still be going down the road of the 10-spoke tender wheel option, once they are delivered by Ultrascale (preference in this case to use N/S treads). Having seen how readily the Dapol wheels appear to pull out of their gears etc. this should hopefully be fairly easy, once I've fine-tuned my plans for electrically connecting the tread to the axle.

• RMweb Premium

D6334 and 5 definitely were released into traffic in all over green with boxes. ...... To be safe, only D6334 and 5 can be modeled in all over green with boxes.

I interpret this to mean that the current Dapol moulding CAN authentically be produced / repainted in over-all green, provided that the resulting model is nymbered D6334 or D6335.

.... or have I missed something; (perhaps not surprising given the comings and goings on this one)!

Would DapolDave care to comment?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

(Needless to say, I am desperate to buy one of these models, but only if it can authentically be repainted into overall green).

Hi John,

Answering from home i would obviously need to check, but providing i phrase this carefully then we should be ok.

As far as i understood, none of the class 22's that featured both our front end AND roof exhaust/boiler configuration were able to be painted all over green with no yellow warning panel.

If this is incorrect then someone please clarify, and i dont mean just by a picture of the real thing side on, as i really need to make sure the roof is 100% as well.

Nidge will be along soon to clarify for me i'm sure :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Answering from home i would obviously need to check, but providing i phrase this carefully then we should be ok.

As far as i understood, none of the class 22's that featured both our front end AND roof exhaust/boiler configuration were able to be painted all over green with no yellow warning panel.

If this is incorrect then someone please clarify, and i dont mean just by a picture of the real thing side on, as i really need to make sure the roof is 100% as well.

Nidge will be along soon to clarify for me i'm sure :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can't personally help with the second part of your criteria, only to give D6334_GloucesterCentral as a link.

I will admit that it's difficult to tell from this photo of D6334 even if the front end matches your model.

Ah - wait a minute - here's another, later photo of D6334 D6334_NewtonAbbot_m that confirms that its front end DOESN'T match your model.

OK, I admit defeat - I'll just wait in hope of an authentic overall green model being produced.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I interpret this to mean that the current Dapol moulding CAN authentically be produced / repainted in over-all green, provided that the resulting model is nymbered D6334 or D6335.

.... or have I missed something; (perhaps not surprising given the comings and goings on this one)!

Would DapolDave care to comment?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

(Needless to say, I am desperate to buy one of these models, but only if it can authentically be repainted into overall green).

No - the current Dapol model can only represent locomotives in the batch D6313 - D6331 (with some exceptions).

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Hi David & Nick,

Thanks for the replies, I'm very pleased that it is much easier than I thought. I looked at it quickly after buying it yesterday and it appeared that there wasn't enough room to open the gauge to EM. I should have used my head and asked here first.

• RMweb Gold

One simple way to tell from an uncaptioned front end photo between the D6306 - D6333 and the D6334 - onwards batches are the small handrails above the split headcode boxes. On the earlier batch (converted from locos initially built without headcode boxes but with disc headcodes), the hand rails are horizontal. On the later batch, they are near-vertical.

Also, in most cases, the doors on the nose end on the later batch are two piece, whereas on the D6306 - D6333 batch they are four-piece.

Typo - should be D6313 - D6332. D6333 had eyebrow vents.

Geoff Endacott

OK, noted, thanks.

I think that the eyebrow vents should be an easy mod for anyone wanting that particular number series.

• RMweb Gold

D6333 had eyebrow vents, whilst D6334 onwards had different marker lights and lacked the headcode mounting bracket.

I'm still working on the piece on class 22 details I promised.

Neil

Sounds a useful piece of work, Neil.

I was wondering the other day, whether someone might end up producing a replacement resin nose end for those who wish to back-convert the Dapol model to the earlier version without split headcode boxes etc.....?

Trevor is right. I will try to summarise the reasons for the limitations.

Three batches of locos were built:

D6300-05 which had very different grille arrangements. These are the first six.

D6306-33 which were built without headcode boxes but had them added (mostly) like the Dapol model. There are 28 locos in this batch.

D6334-57 which had headcodes from new. There are 24 locos in this last batch.

Then you have to work out which of the D6306-33 batch had detail differences. The main one is the eyebrow type vents above the cab windows carried by D6306-12 and D6333. That means 8 of the batch must be crossed off leaving 20.

Three of the batch had non-standard headcode conversions which means they don't match the Dapol model - D6317, D6322, D6323.

That leaves 17 (out of a class of 58) which can be correctly represented by the Dapol model. Trevor has listed these.

Geoff Endacott

I think that the eyebrow vents should be an easy mod for anyone wanting that particular number series.

That seems to be the simplest modification which could be made. I am hoping someone will do an etch for the vents because I always had a soft spot for D6333. I also remember seeing D853 Thruster towing D6307, D6309 and D6312 past Chippenham on their last trip to Swindon works. Eyebrow vents would mean I could model all three of those, except for the fact that D6307 was another one with non-standard headcodes.

Geoff Endacott

In a way its a shame that Dapol have modeled D6331 already as its one of only two that carried green with full yellows, a livery I definitely want. What was the other green full yellows? is it one of the 20 odd that Dapol can model?

No - it was D6312 - but you can always add the eyebrows!

Geoff Endacott