Dapol Class 22

DLPG

AFAIK D6334-D6336 were delivered with headcode panels, green livery and no yellow panel, so it is a viable livery for the current nose tooling.

Neil

I think this was done to death quite a few pages back to say that the current tooling was not suitable for all over green. Given the demand for it I am sure Dapol would have done it if it could be done on the current tooling. I am sure one of these numbers was quoted as being in a photo and there was a reason why it could not be done, headcode boxes in a different position I think.

I think this was done to death quite a few pages back to say that the current tooling was not suitable for all over green. Given the demand for it I am sure Dapol would have done it if it could be done on the current tooling. I am sure one of these numbers was quoted as being in a photo and there was a reason why it could not be done, headcode boxes in a different position I think.

Theres a picture of D6356 in all over green in the Westerns Hydraulics book published about 15 years ago, so it stands to reason that all the NBL 22s were delivered in all over green. How many Swindon painted with a yellow pannel before releasing into traffic is another matter though!

However they didn't have the double folding doors like the Dapol model has

NBL fitted single doors.

Heres a picture of D6334 in blue days

750216045.jpg And heres D6335 in green small yellow days

750140801.jpg Cheers

Jim

Edited by D605Eagle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it would require a new front-end tooling to accomodate as I think only the locos with headcode discs wore this livery, only Dapol can comment on whether that would economically viable. Hopefully the strong sales of the first batch are a good omen for other variants but we will have to wait and see. Even if Dapol decided to do a batch in original condition tommorrow, I doubt we would see them this year.

All were delivered in B.R. green.I believe the last examples were put in service in late 1962-at least I have a record of D 6355 (82A) at Bath Road in Oct. 1962,by which time the small yellow apron was being applied to all and sundry.

All were delivered in B.R. green.I believe the last examples were put in service in late 1962-at least I have a record of D 6355 (82A) at Bath Road in Oct. 1962,by which time the small yellow apron was being applied to all and sundry.

The problem is, though, that the front end details of D6334 etc. are very different from Dapol's current model - just compare the photos in this thread. If it were simply a matter of a repaint, Dapol would not have cancelled the all-green version at the last minute.

I emailed Dapol earlier this week to enquire if / when an overall green version might be available; the reply was :-

"Certainly not yet a while. The shell for the model is not suitable for an overall green version which is why the specs had to be changed at a late stage. We can only produce an overall green version if we modify the tooling and no decision has been taken on that".

We can only hope that Dapol are eventually prepared to modify the tooling. Perhaps DapolDave will invite us to indicate the level of support for versions that could be produced in overall green? (Hint hint)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The problem is, though, that the front end details of D6334 etc. are very different from Dapol's current model - just compare the photos in this thread. If it were simply a matter of a repaint, Dapol would not have cancelled the all-green version at the last minute.

I emailed Dapol earlier this week to enquire if / when an overall green version might be available; the reply was :-

"Certainly not yet a while. The shell for the model is not suitable for an overall green version which is why the specs had to be changed at a late stage. We can only produce an overall green version if we modify the tooling and no decision has been taken on that".

We can only hope that Dapol are eventually prepared to modify the tooling. Perhaps DapolDave will invite us to indicate the level of support for versions that could be produced in overall green? (Hint hint)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Photo of D6334 gnye at http://www.rail-dvd.co.uk/page_2565608.html

It has a different arrangement of front end details to the Dapol model. Dapol have the handrails above the headcode boxes horizontal whereas D6334 had them vertical. I think it has the wrong design of door too. There are some other small detail differences too.

That is the challenge with the D6300s, for a small, shortlived class, there was a great deal of variation. Dapol is to be applauded for the dialogue it established in this thread in identifying class members it could accurately model. Sadly is seems that all-over green just could not be produced accurately.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a Plethora of detail differences between the 22s, and it's probably not econonomic for Dapol to vary their tooling.

The nose grab rails varied between vertical, horizontal and at 45 degrees, and i Have the lists if anyone is interested. The gangway doors also were hinged or not hinged based on the positions of the headcode boxes (or not!). It's a moot point as to whether the current tooling can be applied to a different livery variant and my previous post was aimed at what they were in service, not in transit from NBL.

I do feel there has to be a degree of realism as to the number of variants Dapol can produce within their economic constraints of their tooling. I'm happy to change the position if handrails and nose door hinges if I feel inclined, but livery variants are a lot more work for us. Dave please don't feel constrained by minor issues such as handrails etc when deciding livery releases. A green no yellow panels, blue small yellow panels and green full yellow end would be snapped up by me regardless of minor handrail/ gangway door inaccuracies.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Successfully converted mine to EM the Yorkshiremans way, just moved the existing wheels out. Needs a bit trimming from the top inside of the bogie sideplate beam, but other than that, no dramas.

Hauled 16 coaches of various parentage around the train set, so no problems there.

• Like 2

Don't know if this has been mentioned as I haven't got time to scroll through 37 pages! But the BR blue model I saw that a fellow club member had bought. . was a shade of green! Nowhere near rail blue at all. He was going to repaint it anyway as he's doing some mods to it. . hopefully future batches will sort this out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
I do feel there has to be a degree of realism as to the number of variants Dapol can produce within their economic constraints of their tooling.

Agreed entirely.

We are talking about a mass-produced ready-to-run model here. I'm sure those (fairly small number of) us who want a specific loco represented at a specific time can find someone to modify or custom-build it for us and at a suitable cost as well.

I don't mean that to sound in any way facetious. We have to retain a sense of proportion here and acknowledge that at least we are getting something like eight different versions (including Kernow's weathered ones) of a much-requested loco class where the previous release of anything like them (The Tri-ang D61xx) was far less refined and only appeared in two variants.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's encouraging; hopefully no wheel wobble..

Ah well, maybe a little :secret: , not really noticeable though, and this was a first attempt, experimental and all that. The next ones will be better, also going to fudge a version with AG wheels, might be a bit thinner over outside faces.

Guest baldrick25

Would be very useful if Dapol could supply a small bottle or tin of the exact paint used during manufacture, so that , with care , the SYP could more easily be removed , renumbering at the same time . The fact that it would not be 100% prototypical would just be modelling licence, there being errors just as big on a lot of other models aound.

DapolDave -Would it really cost too much to find someone to bottle/can the paint for you as a nice little extra not offered by other mnanufacturers. I think only green would be needed.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'd stick with the Dapol wheels if you can, look a lot more prototypical.

Point noted.

Might try and skim a bit of the face off the next attempt, seems a shame to carve away at the rather nice bogie mouldings, although the wheel has a recess on the rear, hope there's enough meat to attack.

• RMweb Gold
The problem is, though, that the front end details of D6334 etc. are very different from Dapol's current model

As I understand it, partly based on information given to me by a retired Laira fitter when I was researching a Silver Fox Class 22, the small handrails were almost vertical above the headcode boxes on D6334 onwards, but were horizontal on those up to and including D6333. There were other front end detail differences as well, such as the already-mentioned doors.

Essentially, D6306 to D6333 were the first main production batch (so I think D6301 - 6305 were considered prototypes), and were all built with no headcode panels, and delivered in all-over green, of course. They were mostly/all(?) modified to have split headcode boxes during their lives, some of which had that 'non-standard' appearance (ie. higher up and bulkier).

The locos from D6334 onwards formed a seperate production batch, and were delivered new with split headcode boxes. As I understand it, apart from the first 2 or 3 of this second batch (ie. D6334 - 35 or 36), all entered service with small yellow panels. Although there is a photo of D6356 in all-over green, it is important to remember that this photo is of a loco under test from the NBL works and was taken in Scotland...so is not representative of normal W.R. operating conditions.