Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Picked up mine (D6320) from East Somerset Models this morning. What a lovely beast this is. Body nice and easy to remove to fit a decoder. This is when I note a problem. All my loco's are fitted with crew, but it looks like so much glue has been used to stick the cab in, that removing it may cause some damage. Has anyone managed yet ?

That's very disappointing news, though not entirely surprising.

Whilst waiting to hear whether they would go ahead, I've been wondering about alternatives. One possibility, at least for those with a lathe, might be to turn down the tread and flange of the existing wheel so that a tyre from, say, a Gibson coach wheel could be fitted. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I wonder if Dave could comment on the availability of spare wheelsets? I've a mind to try this myself, but don't want to risk destroying the existing wheels.

Nick

Ok well I had a quote from China regarding these wheels.

However it's a lot of money for Dapol and would have to be charged at about £35.00 per set.

Now luckily the wheel can be used on Kernow's 6xx so that's good, but as Ultrascale say, there don't seem to be many takers.

Is there a society that might want to collate interest from modellers ( sorry but I don't have the time)?

The problem for me is the financial " leap of faith" that this will entail and at the moment, probably because I don't know the scale, I cannot justify it. However I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Can someone get some figures together for me and we'll see where we go with it?

Cheers

Dave

Ok well I had a quote from China regarding these wheels.

However it's a lot of money for Dapol and would have to be charged at about £35.00 per set.

Now luckily the wheel can be used on Kernow's 6xx so that's good, but as Ultrascale say, there don't seem to be many takers.

Is there a society that might want to collate interest from modellers ( sorry but I don't have the time)?

The problem for me is the financial " leap of faith" that this will entail and at the moment, probably because I don't know the scale, I cannot justify it. However I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Can someone get some figures together for me and we'll see where we go with it?

Cheers

Dave

Dont forget the D61xx as well Dave!

That's very disappointing news, though not entirely surprising.

Whilst waiting to hear whether they would go ahead, I've been wondering about alternatives. One possibility, at least for those with a lathe, might be to turn down the tread and flange of the existing wheel so that a tyre from, say, a Gibson coach wheel could be fitted. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I wonder if Dave could comment on the availability of spare wheelsets? I've a mind to try this myself, but don't want to risk destroying the existing wheels.

Nick

I have been thinking about this as well. although I was thinking along the lines of using their 3'6" loco wheels since the tyre is a bit more chunky looking than a coach wheel. I guess it all comes down to how easy the material is to machine and if machining results in any corrossion problems in case there are protective coatings on the wheels. I need to run it in in 00 for a while first though to run it in! If I am lucky, it might be possible to have a P4 version running on Clutton at Expo EM.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Edited by Mark

Just a thought chaps-with the arrival of the 21/29 surely this will be viable??

Is there an echo in here? echo in here?in here?here? :lol:

Are we sure the 21/29 wheels are the same though, considering the rest of the bogie is nothing like the 22 one?

Yes they are, both 3'7" 11 spoke

Edited by D605Eagle

Gave mine a bit of a run in yesterday. Nice smooth mechanism, if a little noisy, though it did quieten down after a few minutes running. One of the cab lights not working. Have checked the wiring I can get at and that seems OK, maybe a dry joint at the LED itself. No big deal though, as none of my other loco's have one. Still not got around to getting the cab out, with big windows it is crying out for a crew. Have yet to look through the whole thread on here, but has anyone fitted the headcodes ?

Cheers Nick, I will look for that. I have a load made up from the Heljan sheets. Scanned then copied a pasted to get the headcodes of some train that I work. Will make some for Weymouth trains as this will appear on my, very loosley based on Weymouth, next layout.

Precision labels headcodes work well. You can see what they look like at Calne this coming weekend.

Geoff Endacott

'Fraid not. Working.

Edited by JZ

Hi Jules, here's a quick reminder to save you trawling back through the tread.... Heljan headcodes placed in the boxes to see how they fit, before colouring the edges etc... ;)

post-7638-0-49205800-1326813612_thumb.jpg

EDIT : if you stand back from your pc monitor about five feet I think they look about right...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

HI All

I have just got my class 22 today and what an amazing model it is, one thing i would like to ask is when running only one light comes on ,one red at the back and one white at the front ,is this right?.

Also i have noticed that the cab light's up when running ,is their a way of turning this off as it looks a bit funny with the cab light on when running.

Well done Dapol for bring this model to use and such a fine model as well!.

All the best

Darren

Edited by darren01

, one thing i would like to ask is when running only one light comes on ,one red at the back and one white at the front ,is this right?.

That is correct, all the hydraulic classes were wired with one red and one white light on each end in addition the the headcode illumination.

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, that may have already been asked but does anyone know if Dapol are going to release a D63xx in green without any yellow panels/ends? I seem to remember that one of these was listed in their first launch batch, but perhaps it was just wishful thinking??!!

Many thanks

exmoordave

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, that may have already been asked but does anyone know if Dapol are going to release a D63xx in green without any yellow panels/ends?

I think it would require a new front-end tooling to accomodate as I think only the locos with headcode discs wore this livery, only Dapol can comment on whether that would economically viable. Hopefully the strong sales of the first batch are a good omen for other variants but we will have to wait and see. Even if Dapol decided to do a batch in original condition tommorrow, I doubt we would see them this year.

• Like 1