Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheEngineShed said:

I'm thinking the shot across the top of the Hattons' article showing four 22s are of the new run?  There is some resolution there, if you open the image in a new tab...

dapol22_header3.png

Yes agreed the single doors are the clue …

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

I see 6352 is in stock at Hattons

Just taken a look and the driver's name card holders are still there, just below the cab side windows. The BR logos just catch them on the secondman's corners (as they did on the original 6326 and nonsense D6328), they're not so much of an issue on these 'final blue' liveries but they interfere with the positioning of numbers and logos on the earlier blue full yellow livery and shouldn't be there on any BFYE Class 22 (and D6312 in GFYE!)

Still wish Dapol would refrain from painting the small side grilles black. And the least said about the clip-on side valances the better........

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Just taken a look and the driver's name card holders are still there, just below the cab side windows. The BR logos just catch them on the secondman's corners (as they did on the original 6326 and nonsense D6328), they're not so much of an issue on these 'final blue' liveries but they interfere with the positioning of numbers and logos on the earlier blue full yellow livery and shouldn't be there on any BFYE Class 22 (and D6312 in GFYE!)

Still wish Dapol would refrain from painting the small side grilles black. And the least said about the clip-on side valances the better........

So you don't want one then? 😜

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I could be a customer for the early version - do yours perform well, Phil?

With a DCC stay alive they are very reliable. See the end of this video…

D6342 on Abbotswood

Sorry but can’t comment on DC….

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

I have two that run on DC only and are as sweet as a nut.  I actually told Dapol that they unrealistic models as they were so reliable! 😁

The first one I bought was typically NBL! It worked fine until it was out of warranty then developed a fault akin to 'the lights are on but nobody's home'. I'd unscrew the circuit board, check for loose wires, apply power directly to the motor (with some difficulty) which always turned, reassemble while retesting, a final test on the track, put it back in the box in working order (not knowing exactly how I'd 'fixed' it).......and the next time I got it out it was back to Square One. Eventually I considered stripping out all of the electronics but carried out one last in-depth examination with torch and magnifying glass - and discovered a dry solder joint on one of the motor's carbon brush holders. It seems that my direct motor test would push the solder blob back into contact but only briefly. I managed to resolder the joint with some difficulty, as the motor is embedded in the cast chassis block with limited clearance, but now it's not 'fixed' but properly fixed! I think!!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mine have only seen intermittent use in the past few years and all live in their boxes unless required to run. 

They run as well as they ever did which us very nicely thank you. 

But please can we have some in the correct shades of green and - especially - blue?  The original Dapol blue is itself almost green and  very wide of the mark. 

I’ll add more to the fleet if they look right but I don’t need any more that require heavy weathering to obscure the awful colour. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Has anyone bought one ? Is there a real difference that makes it standout and worth getting ?

The new ones are tooled to represent the later batch with different vent grilles and other detail differences. Whether that makes them worth getting is entirely a matter of personal choice 

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The new ones are tooled to represent the later batch with different vent grilles and other detail differences. Whether that makes them worth getting is entirely a matter of personal choice 

I realise that but my question is can you really see the difference. I wish Dapol every success but have they got it right 🫤

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

I realise that but my question is can you really see the difference. I wish Dapol every success but have they got it right 🫤

As far as I can tell from the images of D6352 on Hattons' website, the differences between the D6334 onwards batch and the D6306 to D6333 batch they previously tooled have been captured by Dapol.  Will need to see one in the flesh for a pukka assessment of course, but I hope that helps.
Personally, I would love Dapol to produce D6334/5/6 in plain green, as these 3 were delivered sans SYP and consequently stood out from the crowd during the period I model by having headcode boxes but no SYP.
https://flickriver.com/photos/51889911@N05/50324842441/

Edited by Phatbob
Typo.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2023 at 13:25, class29returns said:

Detailed pictures up on Hattons site,got 4 including a gsp.

What should I be looking for as differences?

I'd need to produce an annotated drawing to answer that fully and sorry, I don't have the time for that. :-(
In summary, the ends are different, with the headcode boxes, maker lights, handrails, lamp brackets, horn grilles etc. all in different positions to the ones built with discs.  The arrangement of the holes in the roof are also not the same IRRC.
Sorry not to be more helpfull.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Phatbob said:

I'd need to produce an annotated drawing to answer that fully and sorry, I don't have the time for that. :-(
In summary, the ends are different, with the headcode boxes, maker lights, handrails, lamp brackets, horn grilles etc. all in different positions to the ones built with discs.  The arrangement of the holes in the roof are also not the same IRRC.
Sorry not to be more helpfull.

The nose end doors are perhaps the most conspicuous. Whilst the pilot and second batch were built with single …. Not bifold …. Nose end doors they mostly…. If not all …. acquired the bifold pattern by the time they received headcode boxes.

The third final batch had single nose end doors from new which they retained throughout their life. 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I see that photographs of the other new releases are starting to appear on e.g. Kernow and Rails, even though they have not arrived yet.

Comparing SYP D6356 to photographs of the real thing I see that unlike others in the D6334-57 batch it should not have a (?) marker light in the right hand nose end door. I have found a photo of D6357 which appears to be the same. The presence of the market light (if that is what it is) on the model does not worry me because I intend to renumber mine to D6348. But were D6356 and D6357 (and any others??) built that way or is it a later modification, and if so why? 

Edited by Pteremy
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not convinced it’s a marker light …. Looks to have a riveted rim around it. No idea why 56/7 didn’t have it but only goes to prove these blighters are one of the least consistent classes to model! 

Just represented it with a small washer on my conversions… D6336/42 on the right , D6320/31 On the left

9DBC55C6-2E85-44F4-B69D-F6FFF2716844.jpeg.9ea96e51affe1652654ac3f475ab77cb.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 14

Something I'd never noticed in all the photos I've bought of the class,and study of my own (poor) pics of 22's.

Referring to "Diesel Hydraulics Class 22" softback book,a prelude to a hardback book on the class,a pic of D6355 at Paddington appears to show this loco without the circular cutout,although the pic is a bit shadowy on the front of the loco.

Other pics in this book of the D6334 series onward, all except D6355-D6357  appear to show the cutout,including D6334 in all-over green with headcode boxes.

Maybe someone knowledgeable can throw some light on the purpose of this cutout...?

And credit to Dapol for including it,even if the loco numbers are not right.