Dapol Class 22

DLPG

When I lived in Cornwall in the 80s I knew a couple of drivers who had driven 22s and non of them had a bad word to say about them. One said they were better than the 25s they sent to replace them for getting trains going. He said they just dug their heals in and got on with it unlike the 25s which would slip if you weren't careful. I believe the 21s very bad reputation smeared these fine little locos. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2021 at 22:35, BrushVeteran said:

Unfortunately the ex. BR drivers I knew that would have driven NBL Type 2's at Oxford have all passed away. I also cannot remember any of them becoming failures whist performing their respective roles whilst at 81F, the Abingdon branch MG car trains, Cowley branch car trains to Hinksey yard, Fairford branch to Witney blanket mill, Wolverton to OOC empty stock workings and occasionally the Blisworth parcels. Some of them looked a bit down at heel but some of the later blue repaints started to appear before they were all withdrawn. I think the duties at Oxford were less arduous than those at Old Oak and even on a couple of occasions that I remember them deputising for Hymeks on the Worcester line they seemed to complete the round trip OK. Apparently they were quite comfortable and warm in the cabs but I expect the vulnerable CWA boilers were not used on Oxford duties improving reliability somewhat!

6352 Oxford June 69 Slide 672.jpg

6356 Oxford March 70 Slide 1213.jpg

D6328 Oxford May69  Slide560.jpg

D6332 Old Oak Common July 67.jpg

D6336 Oxford November 69 Slide 1079.jpg

D6351 Oxford June 67 Slide 100.jpg

D6326 Oxford October 69 Slide 1015.jpg

D6327 Oxford June 69 Slide 673.jpg

Happy new Year! Wonderful photos as always. Yes D6336 did a Padd to Worcester job from Oxford…. And IIRC D6327 made it to Brum New Street on a failed DMU drag . Don’t know where that came on, they were working tanks to Warwick at the time. 

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hattons are advertising a further run of 63xx later this year, third and fourth quarters. . 

Of interest to myself are the two green examples, D6328 SYP Disc headcode and D6356 SYP headcode boxes. 

Other examples are D6352 in BR blue and D6330 in plain green. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Yes - but nothing so far (that I can see) to suggest that D6352 & D6356 will have the correct revised front end.

Exactly what I was thinking.  To do D6334 onwards they'll need to do a re-tool.  So have they done this?  Or are they cheating and using their tooling for the early type locos pretending to be a later?

• RMweb Gold

A little bird tells me they have recently enquired for the correct drawings. So here’s hoping …. Will be interesting to see how my D6336/42 compare. The Hattons adverts state that the photo is the old model. 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And it is my understanding that my own Class 22 requirement is undergoing modifications!

Having created two from the later batch by bashing the original models I should be saying I don’t need any more…. But we will see!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Just occurred to me,it's now over 50 years since the 22's roamed the rails,and I'm still fascinated by them.Barely gave them a 2nd glance at the time though...

Hi Phil,another 81A regular and another one I'd like is D6336,very ably modelled by yourself recently!

Neil

Yes had to do D6336 as she actually got to Worcester on a Class 1 following other loco failures. Didn’t she work the special for filming “A hard days night” too?

• Like 1

Blimey you Worcester spotters must have been amazed to see a 22 on a Class 1! Not sure about the filming special though. "A hard days night"-was that something to do with some band called The Beatles? They'll never get anywhere....

Just had a quick butchers at my records,on 16th January 1971,nearly but not quite 51 years ago,I saw D6340 between Southall and Paddington.

Full marks to Dapol for initiating another version of what,in my opinion,is a splendid model.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Blimey you Worcester spotters must have been amazed to see a 22 on a Class 1! Not sure about the filming special though. "A hard days night"-was that something to do with some band called The Beatles? They'll never get anywhere....

Just had a quick butchers at my records,on 16th January 1971,nearly but not quite 51 years ago,I saw D6340 between Southall and Paddington.

Full marks to Dapol for initiating another version of what,in my opinion,is a splendid model.

Yes it is a good model but not an easy one to tackle as the early batch locos were almost individually detailed. Later batch more consistent I think….

Theres a Beatles thread here…. Looks like D7047 and D6333 were A Hard Days Night and D6336 was Magical Mystery Tour.

Edited by Phil Bullock

Agreed,a myriad of front-end differences on the earlier class members. I had decided to do a blue example with the "eyebrow" vents above front windows,and thought D6333 would be ideal,but the study of pictures shows that the minute handrails above the indicator boxes are in a different position to those on the model,and I don't trust myself with removal and repositioning of these! 6308 seems to be decent option,I think the eyebrow vents could be fashioned from plasticard. I'd also like D6307 with larger indicator boxes,but unsure if I could make a reasonable likeness.I have Dapol D6326 in plain green with disc h/codes,I wouldn't have seen one like that but the model has a lot of charm.

Hydraulics? Can't beat them!

• Like 1

Phil - you were right the first time. D6336 took the Beatles to South Molton on Thursday 5th March 1964. Headcode 1Z48, train of 5 MK1s (inc W1919 & W13185 - I have searched in vain for a full list). Film train also at Minehead 2nd/3rd/4th, Taunton 5th, Newton Abbot 6th/7th. Most recent mention in a book is probably Huxtable v3 p604/5 with good photo of train passing through Wiveliscombe on the way to South Molton. (Western Before Beeching (p77) has a nice photo of the train returning to Taunton through Bishops Nympton and Molland but the caption incorrectly refers to the  Magical Mystery Tour - filmed after the line had closed! Possibly the source of the confusion. A smaller version of this photo is also in Huxtable). Both photos clearly show a 'revised' front end - which D6336 had from new (D6333 was built in the original style). Yes D7047 was involved when the train was at Minehead. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I hope the rumour of a retool is correct - I did wonder if it might finally happen following the Class 21/29 retool announcement. I bought a spare body last autumn in contemplation of a Phil like modification but that can wait now! Presumably there is still the interim 'bolt on head box' variety to have a go at instead.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

That’s a long time to wait!

Trust me Phil, 

I have enough to be going on with.........

Rob. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2022 at 16:52, Cheltenham Model Centre said:

Can confirm after speaking with Dapol that the next batch of 22s will have a retooled front ends.

James

IIRC the roof is also different (exhaust and boiler openings).  Is this also being changed?  (Apologies if my memory has failed me).