RMweb

Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Guest Midland Mole

I agree that running in a loco should ALWAYS be a priority regardless of the manufacturer. I really don't understand why Hornby doesn't make that clear like everyone else.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

I agree that running in a loco should ALWAYS be a priority regardless of the manufacturer. I really don't understand why Hornby doesn't make that clear like everyone else.

Alex

Go back a step...even before railing your pride and joy and especially if it's a Hornby steam loco model ...minutely examine the running gear for anything loose or out of alignment .Prevention is sometimes better than cure. I have mixed views on "running in".At least one member of this forum is sceptical of its necessity in every case .In general it has to be advisable.At one time Heljan advised that their motors did not need a period of running in but I don't know whether that is still the case.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I always give my locomotives a period of running in, of not less than one hour. This includes those that "don't need running in". I have a speedometer on my test track, and that shows how the speed of the loco increases during the running-in period, so something beneficial must be happening.

Hornby are showing the black version with rivets so assume they have tooled up different smoke boxes. Prototype have variations on rivets some front and rear, some one end only. As built they may not have had visible rivets?

At the time the Hs were built flush-rivetting would have been the norm on all locomotives - but smokeboxes deteriorated and got repaired or replaced over the years so snap-head rivets appeared ( they're cheaper ! ) .................... as always, seek out a photo of your chosen prototype at the relevant date !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well now....here's a familiar story.I've had R3538 on order for several months with Model Railways Direct,I have just received a phone call from them expressing much regret but they cannot fulfil my order as they are 95% short on their order. I am very sorry for them.I was treated with the utmost civility and courtesy......

Most of you ...including the  retailers among our number will recall the infamous "Exeter" saga a few years ago this coming Christmas. Ring a bell,does it ?

Fortunately,The Track Shack had one left of their allocation and I have managed to secure that.

"Tell me the old,old story which angel voices tell " .What's this about reconnecting with retailers then ? Not good. :nono:

No spares,QC issues,no discounts,smaller runs of popular items,failing to honour pre-order prices/orders, supplying the larger outlets with plentiful supplies of new items to the detriment of smaller outlets.

This does not bode well for the future of Hornby if they do not address these issues.

What issues?

I've seen about three genuine complaints so far out of thousands of models sold over the last few weeks.

Jason

I suggest you speak to a few of the smaller outlets re my last posting as I have over the last few days. As for QC issues/ lack of replacement items, these are well documented on this website.

I suggest you speak to a few of the smaller outlets re my last posting as I have over the last few days. As for QC issues/ lack of replacement items, these are well documented on this website.

I've looked through this website and only found about three complaints about problems with poor QC. Have any of them even got in touch with Hornby? No. They first turn to the internet to complain.

If there were serious problems then the internet would be full of complaints about Hornby. I've looked and there's even not a murmur. Apart from a few serial moaners that seem to have problems with every single model they buy.

So three complaints versus thousands of happy customers?

As for retailers, then that's up to them to take up with the manufacturer. What's it got to do with me?

Jason

I've looked through this website and only found about three complaints about problems with poor QC. Have any of them even got in touch with Hornby? No. They first turn to the internet to complain.

If there were serious problems then the internet would be full of complaints about Hornby. I've looked and there's even not a murmur. Apart from a few serial moaners that seem to have problems with every single model they buy.

So three complaints versus thousands of happy customers?

As for retailers, then that's up to them to take up with the manufacturer. What's it got to do with me?

Jason

Whatever, if you really want to continue this discussion can I suggest you use the PM facility ??? Edited by Black 5 Bear

The underlying issue is that (for whatever reason) there are fewer of these around than retailers can sell - indeed it rather replicates the problems with Bachmann's release of the C class 592. One thing both had in common is that they feature a stunningly applied and incredibly intricate livery, and I have to say in both cases I think the manufacturers have under-priced the loco. It beggars belief that the complaints are of lack of 'discount' (why does everything have to be 'discounted'?) and to be frank, profiteering only occurs when the original selling price is underestimated. I suspect that if there has been under-production, it could be down to a high rate of rejects at assembly stage.

Quite frankly, for models with liveries like this, I suspect the only way to square the demand with the vicissitudes of the manufacturing process will be to produce them to order on a basis similar to Rapido. Maybe to keep everyone happy, they can be advertised as £300 but everyone can have one at half price, a bit like the DFS sale....

Edited by andyman7

Frankly, I'm not interested.

You're the one complaining about Hornby without any justification and using hearsay just to give them a kicking.

They release two outstanding models and that's what they get? I don't know why they bother.

Jason

Really, I thought that might be your response. Frankly your comments are farcical and should be treated with derision.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

H Class alongside C Class and Terrier - the Terrier appears a slightly lighter shade of green, but all 4 look excellent together. Three different classes of RTR SECR liveried locomotives, compare that with the days when all you could buy that was Southern was a BoB, L1 and an R1 !!

post-7250-0-30586400-1509578040_thumb.jpg

post-7250-0-83197800-1509578282_thumb.jpg

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 14

I had to stop running in my H class after it became hot. After lubricating the axles and connecting rod pivot points it was still cool after I completed the running in but it was still drawing a lot of current with my Gaugemaster controller set at 60% for the H class to run at a moderate speed. It also sometimes would not move from a standing start. I hope it will loosen up with more running.

After two hours running in I gave it a short run with six goods wagons.

post-17621-0-63623600-1509612736_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks to the member that spotted these were back in stock at Hattons.

I have just ordered mine for the entirely reasonable £123.99 inc postage.

I think selling at RRP is entirely reasonable in the circumstances.

I look forward to receiving my model in the next few days.

Best Regards

Ashley

• RMweb Gold

Pleeeeease don't be cross with me for asking, but does anyone know when a BR black version is expected?

I love the SE&CR livery but really, expecting something painted like that to end up on the Somerset Levels is pushing it a bit, even for me.

And anyway, most prettily-coloured locos that I buy end up getting sold on, second hand but in mint condition, a few years later.

I've always liked the 'H' class, ever since I built a Wills kit for someone many years ago, but it's easier to kid myself that I need one, if it's in a livery that most of my other locos carry (that way it won't stand out from the crowd and can try not to be noticed, blend in with all the other engines such as panniers and Midland locos, and hope no one spots that it is different).

• Like 1

Pleeeeease don't be cross with me for asking, but does anyone know when a BR black version is expected?

I love the SE&CR livery but really, expecting something painted like that to end up on the Somerset Levels is pushing it a bit, even for me.

BR due December I believe, they're making me wait even longer to play with the Southern one =( although perhaps they'll have sorted out some of the running issues some are having with the SECR batch by then?

• Like 2