• RMweb Premium

Clive .. very nice but  am using some of the latest Hornby Offerings - they are so much more superior in shape, size and also underframe details and bogies than the ones you have used. Time you got the paint can out .. you have enough coaches awaiting painting to make it worth while!

Keep up the conversions!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Clive .. very nice but  am using some of the latest Hornby Offerings - they are so much more superior in shape, size and also underframe details and bogies than the ones you have used. Time you got the paint can out .. you have enough coaches awaiting painting to make it worth while!

Keep up the conversions!

Baz

Hi Baz

Like you I have a few surplus Hornby FKs, what to do with them?  About 7.00pm tonight I scanned in the diagram of a D1730 BSK (all steel period II) and messed around to do the corridor side of the drawing.

743375016_D1730bskdrawing.png.8be3858dbec75061f8e6411d03291b45.png

I then set about removing the upper half of both sides of the FK, sadly one side's lower half decided to go bang and become several parts, one of which I couldn't find. Small enough hole to fill with filler. 

I then cut out of plastic card the two upper halves to convert said FK into the BSK. They almost fitted straight away only needing slight adjustment. Any gaps the filler can deal with. The roof needs sorting out, there is some work to do on the undergubbins, door drop lights need fitting, as do the covered vents on the doors and over the corridor side windows. The compartment windows have stones ventilators above them. I also have to make a pair of duckets.

a002.jpg.fd12da9acc4955a47891f7d1ab81dd16.jpg

Compartment side, I have made a start at tidying up the windows, they have a very small radius fillet in the corners.

a001.jpg.5dcc99281b3c2fe1dd9e497830f50535.jpg

Corridor side. With the damaged lower side.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Clive

A quick coat of Halfords primer would make it easier to check the new joints on the coach sides.

Busy building interiors at the moment. Not my favourite job!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

so after a break for the Festivities these are nearly complete

RebodiedHornby247TK.jpg.c558b1d528ae0e96cdd2c1a7f4cad1e6.jpg

(seems to have lost its number!)

and

SecondrebodiedHronby247TK.jpg.e247d452b1ef051602e2c0fde9e19cfb.jpg

Both need weathering and the roof details sorting..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spellung
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Barry O changed the title to Baz's bodging and bashing .... pit prop wagons anyone?
  • RMweb Premium

I acquired two Slaters RCH opens kits from @St Enodoc while I was last in Oz. In conversation with Mike Edge mention was made of pit prop loaded opens for the colliery  branch on his new Layout (Wentworth Junction - as seen on Modelling Real Locations thread on RMWeb)

I have now bodged the wagons together and today we spent cutting up blackberry canes to provide pit props as a load for 1 wagon.

690210774_PitpropsfortheColliery.jpg.e831fc248fe0d778fa718d6da1084cf2.jpg

only need to do the other one...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 hours ago, Barry O said:

I acquired two Slaters RCH opens kits from @St Enodoc while I was last in Oz. In conversation with Mike Edge mention was made of pit prop loaded opens for the colliery  branch on his new Layout (Wentworth Junction - as seen on Modelling Real Locations thread on RMWeb)

I have now bodged the wagons together and today we spent cutting up blackberry canes to provide pit props as a load for 1 wagon.

690210774_PitpropsfortheColliery.jpg.e831fc248fe0d778fa718d6da1084cf2.jpg

only need to do the other one...

Baz

Were the wagons left uncovered?
Carrying pit props in rain like this would allow moisture to seep into the props.
Chris.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

Were the wagons left uncovered?
Carrying pit props in rain like this would allow moisture to seep into the props.
Chris.

The ones I remember from the North East were uncovered - but that may have been due to them about to be unloaded at our pit.

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that the props were likely stored in the open at docks and pit it seems unlikely they would be sheeted. There are certainly pictures of whole trains of props travelling up “the valleys” that are open. Several different ways of loading them depending on their size too.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I know Barry needs S Yorkshire practice in 1950ish,  but to continue the S Wales contributions, here's a nice example in my current neck of the woods on Flickr RR 38 at Heath, Cardiff,  Jan 1955, (photographer John Wiltshire, uploaded byPeter Brabham):

RR 38 climbs northbound in January 1955 with pit props for the eastern valley pits at Heath Cardiff by John Wiltshire

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

All the ones coming to our pit..Horden in County Durham came from West Hartlepool docks.. the piles of props at the docks were huge.  As time went on the increased use of Dowty self moving props cut the need for wooden pit props. Shame as it made great firewood.

Baz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 27/01/2022 at 19:44, Darwinian said:

That’s brilliant, I’ve not seen 20t wagons loaded with props before. Now I’ve got something else to try.

This appeared in the 16t Minerals thread, and I thought of this comment!

Glenburn Prestwick 42739 16apr65 MRW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/01/2022 at 09:20, Barry O said:

All the ones coming to our pit..Horden in County Durham came from West Hartlepool docks.. the piles of props at the docks were huge.  As time went on the increased use of Dowty self moving props cut the need for wooden pit props. Shame as it made great firewood.

Baz

Timber continued to be used for chocking and roadway support until the end. I am unsure as to the date of introduction, but the tanalising process was originally developed as a fire retardant measure. It was later discovered to have preservation benefits. Miners were said to prefer the wooden props as they would " talk", giving notice of movement in the roof. Steel remained silent until it failed.  The timbers used for these purposes  were of smaller section and in later years, probably brought in by road.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2021 at 18:24, Barry O said:

Found a nice tin of Humbrol  signal yellow so...

10788123_PlymouthFriarysignal.jpeg.0ec0f04b753eb04295b5d4b59cddf534.jpeg

nearly done.. operating wires and backblinds to do...

Baz

It might be a silly question, or much too late, but why the Red/Yellow glasses on the distant arm? I thought that they were always (at least after the change to yellow arms) Yellow/Blue, otherwise you're giving caution/clear by day, but danger/caution by night.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

B950509 as an odd duck has been covered before:

Another picture:

https://twitter.com/SalopianLyne/status/1274471399839674369/photo/1

Edit - Briefly mentioned in "British Railways Brakevans & Ballast Ploughs" by Eric Gent, p7, noted as rebodied in plywood. Quite why as a 1/500 van it has full length footboards remains unclear....

Edited by 41516