Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

The BSO has never been made RTR. Replica did the Diag 73 FO in 00 many years ago but it's not a current standard model. Farish have recently done it in N. Neither duplicates anything from Bachmann.

The BSO is the most numerous type not to have been modelled previously.  There were also around 128 Diag 73 FOs if I recall correctly.

The BSO(T) mentioned above was a later conversion - they were not built new like that.

This leaves only the Diag 24 RB as a type of which there were over 100 examples that hasn't been modelled in 00 recently - although Mainline did a pretty good job for the time back in 1981.

15588173800_efe74a8dec_z.jpgE1691_Colchester_13-4-82 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 4

I can honestly say that I never thought that these two types would be released and I certainly never expected Hornby to make them.

For quite a long while now anyone wanting to model the InterCity charter sets from the late 1980s have needed to scrape around for Replica Mk1 FO stock and invariably then have to repaint it. So to quote cambo74: "The railways continue to run after 1968 !!!!!" (I think the person means continued) and they are quite correct, Mk1 FO stock was running perfectly well 20 years or more later.

Mk1 BSO stock had mostly gone by the early '80s but are a must for East Coast rakes in the '50s and '60s and excursion rakes in the '70s. There was also a West Highland liveried one from about 1984 - 1986.

All in all a pleasant surprise (although I do have a few Replica FOs in store anyway) with quite a few livery variations available.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

I'm wondering about colour matching ?

Looks like some separate roof piping there too, all in, very nice, if Hornby adds a buffet/restaurant I may consider trading in one of my Bachmann rakes and have an all Hornby rake.

I have one Hornby SO in maroon and I think it looks OK in a set otherwise comprising Bachmann Mark 1s. The real things didn't match in colour as colours faded or wore over time.

• Like 2

Bachmann's Mk.1s are aimed at a different market i.e. an upmarket crowd. Hornby's was initailly RailRoad. But they are rather good and perfectly acceptable as a lower price alternative. Hornby isn't aiming for the Bachmann standard for their Mk.1s, if they were it would've been better and to the standard of their Pullman/Maunsell range.

Whilst Bachmann have the edge in some respects - range of types, wire tank filler pipes etc - the Hornby Mark Is are pretty good in most respects. I think their gangway end looks better and the overall shape is a bit better too. Hornby have clearly pitched at a different core market but I don't doubt that many modellers, including me, will find a home for plenty of FOs and some BSOs. The FO is also a handy type to run with earlier Mark II stock, with which they were often used as restaurant cars accompanying kitchen buffets or RBs.

• Like 2

I'm wondering about colour matching ?

Looks like some separate roof piping there too, all in, very nice, if Hornby adds a buffet/restaurant I may consider trading in one of my Bachmann rakes and have an all Hornby rake.

It all looks (and I don't mind at all) moulded to me...

mk1-bso-1-web.jpg

mk1-fo-2-web.jpg

Coach_6_web.jpg

Coach_4_web.jpg

• Like 4

The BSO in particular is great news. Depending on which region you lived near, they could be quite elusive.

Living on the Southern Region, they were only seen on occasional holiday trains, as the Southern never

had any BSO's of it's own, so in BR days none appeared in green.

It is also interesting that those allocated to the Western region had relatively short lives, some becoming

ENPARTS vans by the early 1970's.

Well done Hornby for filling a significant gap, put me down for a maroon one.

Reading the announcement, it appears that these might not be the only new MK1s being introduced for next year's range (though the others could "just" be new livery variants), just presumably the ones that are most advanced in the production pipeline.

• RMweb Premium

Why ?????

Why not do something new and not duplicate existing models readily available - the people in their marketing and sales division really need a pat on the back for coming up with the idea of a new Mk1 coach - amazing !! No wonder the company is struggling this much if numpties like this are dictating what is released ..........

There is plenty of stuff not available in RTR form - try some of that and not pandering to the kettle brigade as Hornby does - The railways continue to run after 1968 !!!!!

Rant over - not really a rant as not bothered either way just disappointed i guess at the lack of vision from companies - Bachmann Mk1s are very good and i doubt Hornby will come up to that standard so why waste their time .........

Incredible! These are mk1s that have never been released before . Is the argument that just because they are mk1s of any description they shouldn't be produced? These will be very successful for Hornby . And they don't just apply to steam era . In fact they spent more of their lives behind diesels . I think it's a very welcome approach which will not only sell these particular types but also draw attention to other coaches in the range . A very well thought out strategy by Hornby .

They don't duplicate the Bachmann range and they are likely to be less expensive . So theres room for these I the market

Edited by Legend

Why ?????

Why not do something new and not duplicate existing models readily available - the people in their marketing and sales division really need a pat on the back for coming up with the idea of a new Mk1 coach - amazing !! No wonder the company is struggling this much if numpties like this are dictating what is released ..........

There is plenty of stuff not available in RTR form - try some of that and not pandering to the kettle brigade as Hornby does - The railways continue to run after 1968 !!!!!

Rant over - not really a rant as not bothered either way just disappointed i guess at the lack of vision from companies - Bachmann Mk1s are very good and i doubt Hornby will come up to that standard so why waste their time .........

Facts:   The MK1 BSO has not been available RTR previously, and the only MK1 FO produced so far,  was done by Replica Railways many moons ago, Bachmann I believe ? do not have access to this tooling, hence it's not in their range.

• RMweb Premium

Quite chuffed that the FO that Hornby measured was the very same coach we hired for our wedding train a couple of years ago.  Hoping that a BSO in OO scale might kickstart an N gauge one at some point as it is sorely needed.

• Like 3

Their  Express Parcels Full Brake would be good in plain blue and grey (b4 bogies) or all blue to ad extra mixtures to the Bachmann option, Hornbys parcels vehicle side could do with boosting up their only being their excellent SR Utility van (only the first generation version on Ebay as i right this) which seems to have dropped of the radar and four wheel variants.

Edited by sharkman

Their  Express Parcels Full Brake would be good in plain blue and grey (b4 bogies) or all blue to ad extra mixtures to the Bachmann option, Hornbys parcels vehicle side could do with boosting up their only being their excellent SR Utility van (only the first generation version on Ebay as i right this) which seems to have dropped of the radar and four wheel variants.

Have they stopped doing the ex-LMS and ex-LNER CCTs, and the 50' Stanier brake which lasted until the late 1970s in BR service? I wonder if they know what became of the Lima tooling for the Siphon G and the LMS 42' bogie CCT?

Have they stopped doing the ex-LMS and ex-LNER CCTs, and the 50' Stanier brake which lasted until the late 1970s in BR service? I wonder if they know what became of the Lima tooling for the Siphon G and the LMS 42' bogie CCT?

They do or did do an ex-LMS brake in maroon.

I quite like the Hornby Mk1s so I am pleased they have decided to continue to develop the range now to include 2 types not yet done, however I am still slightly disappointed that no buffet car has been added to the range. Mk1 RBR please Hornby - it will go with both your Mk1 & Mk2's.

Regarding BR(S) not having an allocation of BSOs, would they have reached the region on cross country services, either in the early 60s or the mid 80s?

Yes. There is a colour photo of M9213 in maroon at Ramsgate in 1969 in the IA colour album Diesels on the Southern. There are published photos from around 1960 of one in the relief Newcastle-Bournemouth set, which on Summer Saturdays worked the regular Bournemouth West-Newcastle service.

• RMweb Gold

Woo hoo again.....

Something else ticked off the list!

And there is no duplication - that's a Diagram 73 FO unless I am mistaken (EDIT...missed Robert Carroll's post above, apologies but thanks for confirmation) not the rebranded RFO Bachmann have given us as a diagram 71 - there were only 3 of those IIRC, can do excursion rakes now with the proper stock...

And the BSO....and in blue/grey too!

Only one problem - who is going to tell Rob Owst (37114?)

Just BFK left then - need that for Motorail trains please

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2