Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

wot? no upper case... and other annoyances

Pete 75C

You've got a sock drawer? I may have separate drawers for things like charged and uncharged AA batteries, and each unbuilt wagon kit, but socks!

I get a bit fanatical about correct use of capitals though. I'm always having to go back and change the first letter of new sentences I type, as I keep missing the shift key, or not pressing it hard enough! I'm old fashioned enough to read what I type before posting it too, and correcting everything I spot. Then I post it and notice an error, and have to edit it, sometimes several times!

I have a sock draw. My unbuilt kits would not fit in any drawer known to man. They require a large cupboard.

Every day socks are on the left. Best socks, to be worn with a suit or decent trousers are in the middle. Every day socks are rolled, best socks are laid flat. Cycling socks are to the right but separated into training socks or winter socks, which are kept rolled up and racing socks which are kept flat. The current best racing pair is always marked so as I know it is the current lucky pair to be used for special events only. 

Which do people find worse on ebay?

YOU ARE BUYING  or, you are buying

Or, as above but in strange colours.

Bernard

• Like 1

I have a sock draw. My unbuilt kits would not fit in any drawer known to man. They require a large cupboard.

Every day socks are on the left. Best socks, to be worn with a suit or decent trousers are in the middle. Every day socks are rolled, best socks are laid flat. Cycling socks are to the right but separated into training socks or winter socks, which are kept rolled up and racing socks which are kept flat. The current best racing pair is always marked so as I know it is the current lucky pair to be used for special events only. 

Which do people find worse on ebay?

YOU ARE BUYING  or, you are buying

Or, as above but in strange colours.

Bernard

Each of my kits is in a separate small drawer. I didn't say how many drawers I have ;).

I have two types of socks. If I'm going somewhere where I may take my shoes off, I try to wear the type without holes :).

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether it is laziness or a lack of educational standards. Many schools don't bother correcting spelling, punctuation or grammar as long as it appears to make sense.

Like you, I only send text messages in proper format.

Agreed, if my Sons send me a text in txt spk I simply enquire if it is available in English!

• Like 7

I have a work colleague who is both severely visually impaired and dyslexic. His definitions of change requirements and his spelling of variables within the code often contains mistakes, but he is unaware of these. (Yes, spell checkers can be used for normal text, but these are not useful for C# code or technical explanations, not do they differentiate between correctly spelt word in the wrong context (e.g. their & there).

I feel sometimes we need to be a little more tolerant of those who may not have an expected level of either education or ability. 

I agree but most people do not have dyslexia or any other reason/excuse do they, they are just plain lazy!

Two that annoy me are "pls" and "thx" - generally used by people who think themselves too busy/too important to write "please" and "thanks", let alone "thank you" (for all the extra milliseconds it takes).  Use of these ugly abbreviations pre-dates text-speak, but are becoming more prevalent.

• RMweb Gold

Two that annoy me are "pls" and "thx" - generally used by people who think themselves too busy/too important to write "please" and "thanks", let alone "thank you" (for all the extra milliseconds it takes).  Use of these ugly abbreviations pre-dates text-speak, but are becoming more prevalent.

ty 4 that

And those of course that type a paragraph (or maybe a page?), all in lower case, without any punctuation. Makes me breathless reading it.

Stewart

It doesn't make me in the least bit breathless. I give up after the first line!

Dear Mr. EddieB,

I note regarding your observation of Nov. 12 that we think nothing of the abbreviations we use every day,

For men (and women) of advanced letters we address them as Dr. For the less lettered, Mr. and Mrs. must suffice. I have seen in the correspondence dating from the 17th century, extensive use of abbreviations like tho' and altho' and quite interestingly the extensive use of X'tian by many highly admired late 17th century correspondents, using of course the Greek letter Chi (X) as an abbreviation for Χριστός. The same abbreviation of course occurs in Xmas where in more recent times people ironically decry taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas" without understanding the abbreviation.

Of course abbreviations make more sense when using a pen dipped in ink compared with the convenience of a keyboard but, nonetheless, there is a large set of abbreviations created for the world of pen and ink that we find perfectly acceptable.

Sincerely, ever your humble and obt. servant, 

etc,

ps. Were I named Thomas or George or William I might at one time have signed my name Tho. Geo, or Wm.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I cannot stand txt spk, and cannot understand it.

Phone auto spelling check is terrible, the designers should be loaned a Playstation 4 and hit around the head with a controller until they get it. If one large Japanese electronics company can get auto spelling check working well, why can;t the mobile companies.

And other things I hate.

Email addresses by convention are lower case, web addresses lower case.

Web sites START with www.

Get it right people please.

Another day, another moan. Martin's observation about auto spell-check (above) hit a nerve. My daughter's 13, so it's only fair to accept that she worships at the foot of the latest mobile phone technology and has an app for everything. I mean everything. Now I'm well aware that predictive text and such-like exists, and it's the first thing I disable. I don't need help to go to the bathroom (yet) so I'll be damned if I need help to type a simple message.

I received a text from my daughter yesterday that made even less sense than usual so I quizzed her when I saw her. Apparently she doesn't even have to type the text message... she can just speak into her phone and it does the rest. This is what I received.

"Haze will be you soon auntie scottish shoes on"

I guessed what she meant, but it's hardly obvious, is it? Isn't technology wonderful...

:no:

• RMweb Premium

Another day, another moan. Martin's observation about auto spell-check (above) hit a nerve. My daughter's 13, so it's only fair to accept that she worships at the foot of the latest mobile phone technology and has an app for everything. I mean everything. Now I'm well aware that predictive text and such-like exists, and it's the first thing I disable. I don't need help to go to the bathroom (yet) so I'll be damned if I need help to type a simple message.

I received a text from my daughter yesterday that made even less sense than usual so I quizzed her when I saw her. Apparently she doesn't even have to type the text message... she can just speak into her phone and it does the rest. This is what I received.

"Haze will be you soon auntie scottish shoes on"

I guessed what she meant, but it's hardly obvious, is it? Isn't technology wonderful...

:no:

Phone auto correct needs killing!

Yet I can end messages very easily and quickly from a games console!

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Not sure if this is of use, and apologies to any female grandparents being expected to slurp ovums (ova!) - in most of the MS packages, if you highlight the text concerned and then press Shift and F3 repeatedly, the highlighted text will toggle through - All upper case - All lower case - Sentence case - which may speed up your retyping.

I personally am grateful for spell checking, but it does not solve all of my sausage-fingers typing problems, which is why I often wish my colleagues Kind Retards when closing an e-mail, and have been known to work for Hampsh1te County Council on occasions!

As my job involves writing passable English, the first thing I do with MS Word is turn off all auto-correct/auto-suggest/grammar check stuff.

Annoyingly, every so often they are all turned back on again behind my back for some reason*. Absolutely bonkers**.

*Dear Word, yes, that is the passive voice, and no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it in this context.

**Dear Word, I know there's no verb in this sentence, thank you very much. There's probably a scholarly term for this, but at the moment all the terms I can think of are not printable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe it is a combination of laziness, the "txtspk" generation and educational standards having gone way down the river.  The latter also owes something to the "gimme" attitude also since there are children - not all but many - who have been brought up into a world where instant gratification is the way.  "Correct" them and they turn on you.  It is somehow their "right" to do as they please including whether or not they learn acceptable English.

There is a small minority who for all manner of reasons genuinely do not or cannot learn and we allow them some leeway.  Those who begin every word with a capital letter or who always post entirely in "shouty" capitals.  But they are few.

amilton hakademikals

• RMweb Premium

amilton hakademikals

The team for which I offered thanks that my career path never involved reciting Saturday's results!  On the other hand "Forfar 5 - East Fife 4" caused a little amusement.

And why is the Sausage Captain's signature message all in "shouty capitals" exactly? ;)  Perhaps for the same reason that our resident Stationmaster normally posts in italics?

• Like 1