Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

According to Hattons it has an 8pin interface:-

http://www.hattons.co.uk/244021/Hornby_R3580_Class_87_87035_Robert_Burns_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

This is consistent with Hornby’s previous dcc ready locos. I am not aware of Hornby ever using a 21pin dcc interface.

Can’t comment reference speaker space. Hornby’s track record in this respect is somewhat less than spectacular - their recent Class 71 had precious little room for a decoder let alone a speaker. Their new class 800 seems to be similarly afflicted.

Cheers

Darius

Hornby use 21pins on the DCC Sound fitted models dont they?

• RMweb Premium

Hornby use 21pins on the DCC Sound fitted models dont they?

Not any more, no. All TTS models are 8 pin, as are all our ‘DCC Ready’ models, with the exception of the Sentinel and Peckett, which are 4 pin. Prior to TTS, the sound fitted models were 21 pin, but no current models are.

isnt it a bit late for that  assuming they are already on a ship from China.  I had sound on the class 85 and whilst very good for starting up moving off etc horns and what not on a roundy layout it gets extremely annoying extremely quickly the top end high speed running sound in a room is not what you would want.  

• RMweb Gold

isnt it a bit late for that  assuming they are already on a ship from China.  I had sound on the class 85 and whilst very good for starting up moving off etc horns and what not on a roundy layout it gets extremely annoying extremely quickly the top end high speed running sound in a room is not what you would want.  

I find that with ALL sound fitted stuff

Andi

• Like 1

I find that with ALL sound fitted stuff

Andi

A few years ago I saw the your excellent layout Dagworth being exhibited.  Loved the 309's 47's 86's etc.

But what really caught my attention was the sound fitted 31 running with a few Mk1's -  I remember thinking at the time wow!  That sounds great!  And that actually triggered me started into fitting sound!  My first one was a 31!

Did you go off sound altogether, or is it just when on running circuits?

I do find sound on layouts at exhibitions often are too loud.  I was two different exhibitions in the last two weeks which had diesel depots.  On both layouts there were 5 or 6 ticking over (loudly) all at the same time.  Really offputting.

In my smallish railway room I just like a hint of sound - I usually have my Loksounds turned down to about 30!

When they are doing the circuits thy just chunt away nicely. 

Edit - sorry folks just realised I drifted well OT.

So I will just add - I'm looking forward to fitting a Legoman into my new Hornby 87!

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago I saw the your excellent layout Dagworth being exhibited.  Loved the 309's 47's 86's etc.

But what really caught my attention was the sound fitted 31 running with a few Mk1's -  I remember thinking at the time wow!  That sounds great!  And that got me started into fitting sound!

What put you off it?

They weren't my 31s :D They belonged to one of my operators, I only own two sound fitted things, an 86 I was very kindly given, and an APT-E (which has never been on any track yet!)

Andi

• Like 1

They weren't my 31s :D They belonged to one of my operators, I only own two sound fitted things, an 86 I was very kindly given, and an APT-E (which has never been on any track yet!)

Andi

Ha. that's funny!  Well I was converted even if you weren't!

• Like 1

Agree - If it's on a ship ( i note Hornby web site is saying April), then there's either a provision for a speaker, (like a lot of Bachmann locos), or there isn't and it'll have to be crammed in.

Also agree about the noise of continuous high speed running, but still looking forward to a realistically powerful 87 with Legomanbiffo sounds (for the first couple f circuits ;-) ).

• Like 1

Agree - If it's on a ship ( i note Hornby web site is saying April), then there's either a provision for a speaker, (like a lot of Bachmann locos), or there isn't and it'll have to be crammed in.

Also agree about the noise of continuous high speed running, but still looking forward to a realistically powerful 87 with Legomanbiffo sounds (for the first couple f circuits ;-) ).

i dare say if the siren like wailing sound of the 87 is recreated it will sound great powering up blasting the two tones then moving off from a start or when shutting off coming to a stand. they do all seem to fall down though on constant fast running circuits as the sound could be anything really once up to speed IMHO on D&E sound.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are Hornby still going ahead with their new Class 87 fitted with PLASTIC pantographs?  Any plans to offer a metal sprung pantograph as a separate item?  I was going to buy one but I think I will wait for the Bachmann Class 90 with a servo operated pantograph.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Like 1

Still plastic and still not sprung - spoke to the chap at Ally Pally. Unfortunately, there's no ability to turn off one end of the lights, and given that the Swallow and Virgin ones would nearly always be on push-pull sets, that's a shame. I'm extremely grateful to Hornby for giving us a new 87, but the Bachmann 90 has so many more features for about £20 more. I would also say that the detail is finer - the painted Swallow 87 sample has quite thick jumper cables, although the original 3d print had finer ones, so we'll wait and see on that!

Nor will it have have corridor lights like Bachmanns Class 85.  The feature would have been nice especially if independently controlled.   

I hope this 87 has as a minimum some independently controlled cab interior lights.

Still plastic and still not sprung - spoke to the chap at Ally Pally. Unfortunately, there's no ability to turn off one end of the lights, and given that the Swallow and Virgin ones would nearly always be on push-pull sets, that's a shame. I'm extremely grateful to Hornby for giving us a new 87, but the Bachmann 90 has so many more features for about £20 more. I would also say that the detail is finer - the painted Swallow 87 sample has quite thick jumper cables, although the original 3d print had finer ones, so we'll wait and see on that!

Yes, and I hope the couplings will not be those springy self centre types that were fitted  their 31's 50's 56's and 60's etc.

The IC and Virgin ones need to be able to push trains at main line running speeds.  And on that note Hornby, please re-release your IC and Virgin Mk3 DVT's.

Edit - just seen they are indeed re-releasing the Virgin DVT.  But an IC one would be very welcome too.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and I hope the couplings will not be those springy self centre types that were fitted  their 31's 50's 56's and 60's etc.

The IC and Virgin ones need to be able to push trains at main line running speeds.  And on that note Hornby, please re-release your IC and Virgin Mk3 DVT's.

I asked that question at Warley, unfortunately it will have that stupid coupling mech. :(

Andi

I asked that question at Warley, unfortunately it will have that stupid coupling mech. :(

Andi

Thanks for that information.  You'd think they would have learned a few lessons about those couplings!.  No excuse for fitting them to the 87s - after all, their HSTs power cars have rigid couplings which work well when pushing. 

I'm sure this will be of interest, just got back from Pirdop and Sofia to look at the 87s (and 86s) over there.

Here are some pics I took. Wonder if Hornby will do Bulgarian versions in the fullness of time? (yeah, I know they use HO there but still).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/40351558084/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 2

I'm sure this will be of interest, just got back from Pirdop and Sofia to look at the 87s (and 86s) over there.

Here are some pics I took. Wonder if Hornby will do Bulgarian versions in the fullness of time? (yeah, I know they use HO there but still).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/40351558084/in/dateposted-public/

No they won't be doing the Bulgarian versions. Quite simple, it will not appeal to people in OO gauge and they are not going to waste money on an HO scale model.

• RMweb Gold

No they won't be doing the Bulgarian versions. Quite simple, it will not appeal to people in OO gauge and they are not going to waste money on an HO scale model.

Didn't stop Hornby making a OO Gauge Turkish 8F.. which is now a very highly prized hard to find limited edition.

Nor did it stop Lima making a HGK Class 66 or a HPI class 59 in OO whilst working in Europe, again both quite rare.

Hornby R3083

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3083-TCDD-Stanier-Class-8F-Locomotive-45161-Turkish-MINT-amp-V-RARE-/202250382144?hash=item2f170feb40%3Ag%3Al64AAOSwqbxalD0I&nma=true&si=wL0QvTmWFfY6qxHBkLsYNQqwfgY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Lima HGK Class 66

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-DOM-Models-1901-Dieselok-Class-66-HGK-DE62-Koln-EP-5-OVP-NEUW-KE387-/391889620144?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620074313%26meid%3D28dacbd837754f8fb85d2005406cb8e9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D311960115923&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=wL0QvTmWFfY6qxHBkLsYNQqwfgY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Lima HHPI class 59

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-LIMA-CLASS-59-59003-YEOMAN-HIGHLANDER-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-7W/172987050306?hash=item2846d4e942:g:Hg4AAOSw~RVaEB2Y

Never say Never, the class 87s are quite popular in Bulgaria with UK enthusiasts, with several railtours undertaken, a small Limited Edition would probably sell.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Didn't stop Hornby making a OO Gauge Turkish 8F.. which is now a very highly prized hard to find limited edition.

Nor did it stop Lima making a HGK Class 66 or a HPI class 59 in OO whilst working in Europe, again both quite rare.

Hornby R3083

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3083-TCDD-Stanier-Class-8F-Locomotive-45161-Turkish-MINT-amp-V-RARE-/202250382144?hash=item2f170feb40%3Ag%3Al64AAOSwqbxalD0I&nma=true&si=wL0QvTmWFfY6qxHBkLsYNQqwfgY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Lima HGK Class 66

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-DOM-Models-1901-Dieselok-Class-66-HGK-DE62-Koln-EP-5-OVP-NEUW-KE387-/391889620144?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620074313%26meid%3D28dacbd837754f8fb85d2005406cb8e9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D311960115923&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=wL0QvTmWFfY6qxHBkLsYNQqwfgY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Lima HHPI class 59

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-LIMA-CLASS-59-59003-YEOMAN-HIGHLANDER-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-7W/172987050306?hash=item2846d4e942:g:Hg4AAOSw~RVaEB2Y

Never say Never, the class 87s are quite popular in Bulgaria with UK enthusiasts, with several railtours undertaken, a small Limited Edition would probably sell.

Okay, so I am assuming that all the models you listed are from the early 2000s?

BACK THEN.....

The difference being back then manufacturers didn't have to be so careful when choosing what to make and what not to make. At that point in time not everyone was so fussy about small detail differences and modelers were generally happy with small compromises. Those were the days when a 100 notes was often the high end on the market.

THESE DAYS...

Today we're in a situation where people want high-detailed, highly-functional models at competitive prices which have doubled since those listed models were released. Loco-specific detail ha become the norm and people want loco-specific details. The "plastic and poseable" pantograph has annoyed some people to such an extent that they've cancelled their orders for this model. So I really don't see Hornby going to such an extent to produce a OO gauge Class 87 currently based in Bulgaria with snow-ploughs and twin-beam headlights fitted as standard. Let's not forget their Class 87's currently have a mish-mash of pantograph details with different shoes/blades and some even with Stone-Faiveley pantographs. Would it not be easier for one of the European manufacturers to do it in HO scale and make more sales? It's so hard to get a manufacturer to do a model of a prototype that carried a short lived livery.

So I still don't see any financial sense in this, especially with Hornby's current situation.

Hornby will probably get more sales with limited edition Class 87s with liveries like the LNWR, GBRf ACORP, Porterbrook etc.

It's somewhere on my top ten list of layouts that I'd like to build....but haven't enough time to do so. I'd like to think someone else would have the same idea, but unfortunately the Ashburton factory has stopped making small diesel depots and started on O gauge inglenooks courtesy of a £200 shunting loco.

It would probably be easier in 1:87 or 1:160.