Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

I never got one and I can now get a brand new "not" shiny one. :)

What's not to like?

Jason

Won’t the Duchess of Hamilton be in Gloss. Actually I do think Gloss suits the streamlined. The red used is a bit too dull for my liking ( no idea if it’s accurate or not, I just remember the short Triang King George V in Gloss red!)

Rather annoyed there is no new non-streamlined 8p in the 2018 range. At very least I was hoping for a BR Maroon one to renumber as 46229, or at best 46229 withouth the silly gloss finish that doesn't match anything else (either period or modern image!). Luckily still have 46235 on pre-order, so this will have to satisfy my Duchess needs for now, although given this green batch is delayed, I do wonder why another model or two was not put into that production run for 2018.

if 6229 had been done in blue I would have had one of those; as it is this will be the 3rd red incarnation of this model. (matt, shiny, new tooling)

You can always rename a 6220. I did because my layout is based in 1939 when the real ones had swapped... so mine is really 6220 in disguise too.

Won’t the Duchess of Hamilton be in Gloss. Actually I do think Gloss suits the streamlined. The red used is a bit too dull for my liking ( no idea if it’s accurate or not, I just remember the short Triang King George V in Gloss red!)

*cough* post #1502...

It's the blue one I'm after. :)

I try to avoid "celebrity" engines if possible. Although it's difficult when most of the class were celebrities.

Jason

Good quality layouts that accurately portray the era of the earlier Stanier pacifics must be very thin on the ground and as they need to be representative of a part of the WCML they also need to be spacious with no tight radii.

If you search hard, you can find a prototype to model reasonably accurately :sungum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120795-south-hampstead-in-00/&do=findComment&comment=2928240

• RMweb Gold

Rather annoyed there is no new non-streamlined 8p in the 2018 range. At very least I was hoping for a BR Maroon one to renumber as 46229, or at best 46229 withouth the silly gloss finish that doesn't match anything else (either period or modern image!). Luckily still have 46235 on pre-order, so this will have to satisfy my Duchess needs for now, although given this green batch is delayed, I do wonder why another model or two was not put into that production run for 2018.

The BR Green on 46235 is less convincing on the samples than any of the 3 maroon ones issued so far IMHO. 46229 in gloss looks magnificent and a far cry from 46245 issued way back in 2001 which looks sort of Frutella pink next to it! I do think Hornby have missed a trick by not turning out a standard range BR maroon edition this year though - an obvious quick guaranteed seller I would have thought.

But who are we to say, we're only customers :)

R3339 Duchess of Hamilton was the last to be produced in 2015. Whist it might be an older model and not quite up to the same standard as modern models, I think the most recent ones have still been selling well and that models like the black 5 and 8f needed work more urgently. If they wanted a headline loco, I would have preferred to see a Princess Royal, as that desperately needs an upgrade and hasn't been seen since R2990XS in 2011!

According to Ramsay's (Pat Hammond).

R2689 NRM Limited Edition released 2008

R3101 NRM Limited Edition released 2012

R3339 not in the book. But looking at it is NRM Limited Edition with Gloss Finish.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/175366/Hornby_R3339_Class_8P_4_6_2_Streamlined_Coronation_6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton_in_LMS_crimson_la/StockDetail.aspx

R3339 not sure this was a NRM limited edition - it hung around for ages with stockists and until recently Kernow were doing them for £120. I know this as I was waiting for them to drop a bit more and lost out...!

Jason

Edited by Fairburn

• RMweb Gold

R3339 Duchess of Hamilton was the last to be produced in 2015. Whist it might be an older model and not quite up to the same standard as modern models, I think the most recent ones have still been selling well and that models like the black 5 and 8f needed work more urgently. If they wanted a headline loco, I would have preferred to see a Princess Royal, as that desperately needs an upgrade and hasn't been seen since R2990XS in 2011!

A bathtub body is an easy one to do now, they have the new chassis, tender chassis's available already. The princess royal is another all new one.

i suspect there will be more semi's before a princess.

The Manor is open field to Dapol right now, for at least a year anyway.

Hornby could go cheeky and do a parallel Scot before the Princess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Took the opportunity last night to have a look at my streamlined Princess Coronation, 6224 in the Limited Edition (not sure who's) Train Pack R2788 Coronation Scot  http://www.hattons.co.uk/31419/Hornby_R2788_Coronation_Scot_Train_pack_with_Coronation_class_loco_and_3_coaches_in_LMS_blue/StockDetail.aspx, which I only bought because the a blue streamliner wasn't available separately. I agree that the loco is not bad at all, but compared to the new chassis there really is a big difference and I for one will have no compunction in upgrading to the new 6221 and selling the Train Pack.

But it's really the coaches that come in the set that jar. The livery is well done, but the coaches really do belong where they are now in the Railroad range. I for one do not like the mixing of hi-fi models and Railroad in the same Train Set or Train Pack and so in the absence of any newly tooled coaches from Hornby, I think they would do better by offering the current coaches as separate models in Railroad packaging. They could also wait a couple of years for the new loco tooling to have recovered its costs from sales and then reintroduce the older loco tooling in the Railroad range, thereby adding another Express engine to that range alongside 'Mallard', 'Flying Scotsman' and 'Evening Star'.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

It wasn't so long ago that many folk seemed to consider carriages as simply fodder for their locos to drag around the place. So I thought a reality-check might be useful. Some people would prefer to see up-to-the-minute LMS coaches decked out in Coronation Scot livery rather than elderly 'Railroad' productions, but the fact is Hornby does not produce a single suitable candidate for that particular train.

It must be a fine balancing act for mass-producers especially when Mister "I'm not prepared to pay much for coaches" is thrown into the pot. Suppose Hornby produced the requisite D1961 Corridor Brake first, D1960 Corridor first, D1902 Open First diner, D1912 Kitchen only car, D1981 Open third diner and D1905 Corridor brake third, how many would sell?  In fact, how many would sell in normal LMS and BR liveries?  Remember, these coaches had special 2-a-side interiors and a roof pod, so Hornby would have to produce a second batch of interiors for coaches built for normal service AND fit the roofs with shell vents. Having done that, first class coaches are never the best sellers.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would buy a complete set of 9 in LMS blue and what ever was produced in BR livery.

How much would you honestly pay for them though? I think you are easily looking at a minimum £100 a vehicle. Remember Hornby need to get back their investment and make a profit. These aren't going to sell in the same volume as Mk1 TSO's........

• Like 2

Swapping coast and era, it seems likely that Hornby couldn‘t spare the money for a 91 with DVT and all the coaches to go with it. So the 91 didn’t get done, unfortunately. Likewise, I suspect that Hornby is going for the quick quid in its present circumstances, so no coaches for prestige steam services, West Coast or East Coast.

No insider information. Just guesswork.

• RMweb Gold

How much would you honestly pay for them though? I think you are easily looking at a minimum £100 a vehicle. Remember Hornby need to get back their investment and make a profit. These aren't going to sell in the same volume as Mk1 TSO's........

In the coaches, there’s a 10 number gap in the 2018 number range between R4806 and R4815, straight after the new lms coaches.. one can only dream what was planned there...

in 2018 we have SR Maunsells, GW Hawksworth, LNE Gresleys and 4 LMS coaches, plus mk1’s in different colours, so there’s something for everyone there.

There’s 5 spare R numbers after the Maunsell buffets too.

Edited by adb968008

Hi Coachmann,

Well, you are absolutely right (again).  The APT is forecast to sell well due to its iconic status for modern image modellers, but even though the CS was iconic, for those interested in historical accuracy of the railway scene, its appeal would be extremely limited.  Perhaps the only reasonable option is for specialty shops to produce it (Golden age models, for example...)

JF

Already done.

You'll need to remortage your house though....

http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/LMS%20Coronation%20Coaches.html

Jason

I'm returned to the hobby after many many years and so am not familiar where I can get some jobs done (I'm disabled). I'm looking to find somebody who could make a new draw bar for the engine/tender for my SWS - where I feel more close coupling might be required. My model only goes round shallow scale bends!

Many thanks, Edmund

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't a paint job on current flush-glazed Stanier coaches be close enough?

Would they sell? No more accurate and more expensive coaches to produce, so think what Hornby might charge for them. At least the current efforts are cheap so the "error" is more tolerable.

Edited by brushman47544

..........or even an LMS open third, these in periods 1, 2 & 3 were every day bread and butter coaches,

and built in their 100's, and in later days were seen all over the country, S&D, South coast excursions etc.

Had there been a ' porthole ' open third, we may have seen one from Bachmann. But where are Hornby

who apparently need to make lots of money. Big sales there I'm sure. An untapped market awaits !.

• Like 1