Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

Mick

I think you must have missed off part of your post/or the mods delete it! You've not mentioned:

1) prices

2) the appalling lack of pre grouping models

3) the one specific livery variation that's of us to you but probably you alone that you're convinced will sell

Millions and solve Hornby'a financial problems at a stroke!

David

Ah well, to be fair, if I can get my hands on another Peckett, the Dodo "plate" is coming straight off and being replaced by the initials G&SWR so that one's easily fixed. I just need to find Dodo.

The only downside to seeing the 8f released again is that it means it is unlikely to be a retool next year which I was sort of hoping for! Although at least there is still hope for a retooled large prairie next year!

Just looked it up in "Britains model trains" the MR mag. Says 8F was fully retooled in 2003, (replaced the old tender drive one). MR gave it 81%, "a superb model that compares well with new LMS 4-6-0s"    That's from the  2010 edition. (The rrp was then £93.50)  Pickups on all drivers and tender wheels, 5 pole motor. So this version (I presume this is what Hornby will re-release?) is from the China made "rebuilt MN type"  onwards era.

I would agree that the old Airfix originated 61xx (of which I have 2) was from the same era as the original Hornby tender drive 8F (which was I think quite well though of back in its day, but not in the same class as modern locos)

Bill

Edited by railroadbill

I personally buy very little from Hatton's these days.Keener prices and better customer service are available from Derails, which I thoroughly recommend.

The price moaners appear to have flocked to Hattons' Facebook page today...

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

Careful leopard, you could well get banned for language like that lol

Only if you already know the acronym, or asked a teenager :D

And then it's purely down to interpretation.........

Edited by leopardml2341

One thing no-one has mentioned is prices. I know there is nothing we can do about these except keep our hands in our pockets, but it's very recent that £100 models were being discussed, and now we are very close to looking at £200 RRP - I know these will be discounted but the £200 barrier is very close........

• Like 1

Some nice things in the new announcements, glad to see the Stanier P3 main line coaches back in LMS guise, I can see Dolgellau getting a green Std4 and now the 14XX has gone Railroad and has an RRP of just £45, I can see the Barmouth Shuttle coming from the red box now (sorry Dave but needs must and all that...). 

However I do have one moan.

Why do Hornby not buy extra bandwidth and employ some techy geeks to press ctrl+alt+del on new range announcement day?  They must know their website will be inundated and model railway enthusiasts are well known for being an impatient, whiney bunch of ingrates who want to know what is coming NOW so they can moan/bitch/crow/drool (delete as appropriate) on their favourite forum of choice.  I'm sure an extra few quid buying in some extra bandwidth would go a long way to help.

Still, overall not too bad.

• Like 1

DILLIGAF?

(If you can't work it out, ask a teenager :) )

Cos, me personally, I'm looking forward to a long overdue re-issue:

http://www.trianghornby.net/images/r355.jpg

:jester:

They're readily available second hand - or do you mean a version with finescale wheels?

RTR P4 actually! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

One thing no-one has mentioned is prices. I know there is nothing we can do about these except keep our hands in our pockets, but it's very recent that £100 models were being discussed, and now we are very close to looking at £200 RRP - I know these will be discounted but the £200 barrier is very close........

Am I the only one who was expecting even higher prices today? £2 more for the Peckett etc. was ok in my book. GWR HST looks the odd one.

Roy

The Ex-CT EMT 153 seems a VERY brave move...

That seems to be the only livery the 153 is available in this year, down from two (Regional Railways and ATW) last year. Are they running out of liveries to release it in?

Also just noticed the Class 90 has been bounced down to Railroad status at last.

But not to Railroad prices it seems (the 90 is listed at £25 more than the Railroad class 55). I see that, despite the huge price tag, the train set Flying Scotsman and Mallard have been downgraded to the poor Railroad paint job (my tender-drive 4472 from a British-made Hornby train set is probably the same tooling as the Railroad model I'm guessing, but is much better looking than the current Railroad/train-set offering thanks to the paint job on mine). Sadly it seems they have done the same poor livery job with the Railroad 14xx otherwise I might have been interested in buying one of those.

Unlike with the Castle, thats 3 years since the King was released and all 6 major liveries (Great crest Western, Shirt Button, G crest W, BR Blue, BR early and BR Late) all released.  The Castle and Grange still havent made it that far

Aren't there only 5 major liveries for the Castle and Grange (I think Kings were the only ex-GWR locos given BR blue)? Unless you count the fictional red Harry Potter train set version for the Castle (which may have been the previous tooling?) Edited by Rhydgaled

• RMweb Gold

In short pretty interesting modern image selection at prices that look very reasonable given the current econonic climate . . . HOWEVER . . . £319.99 for what at first glance appears to be 1 powered and 1 unpowered GWR HST power cars is really concerning and for that sort of price I'd hope for some Mk3s came with it (Not really any detail on the specific page to indicate if this or isn't the case).

There appear to be only four Mk 3's in GWR livery to match R 3510...or am I missing something ? No TFO. Is there perhaps a reason for this given plans to run the 125's in shortened form in the west country on the introduction of the IEP's ?

Looking through the locos, and nice to see the Schools loco in my old schol name, but a big error with ivery. The locos were all black up till late 50s, when the old emblem was used, but only green with newer emblem. Hornby had done a green one correctly in older tender drive. I would have prefered it in black, if it had to be BR(but have one renamed/numbeed already), but would have been tempted if it had been in pre war Southern livery.

The type of models, does further the notion that they are aiming at collectors(train spotter?), and making some models more difficult to get, only makes that morelikely  the case). They could have probably done even more versions, in private owner liveries for the Peckett, and they would still have sold out. i have seen them being offered on ebay, for well over £100. Hopefully its popularity will mean Hornby willbring it out in many more liveries over next few years.

Noticed rrp for the H has gone up already. Maybe the original Hattons predicted price was nearer the mark.

Why do Hornby not buy extra bandwidth and employ some techy geeks to press ctrl+alt+del on new range announcement day?  They must know their website will be inundated and model railway enthusiasts are well known for being an impatient, whiney bunch of ingrates who want to know what is coming NOW so they can moan/bitch/crow/drool (delete as appropriate) on their favourite forum of choice.  I'm sure an extra few quid buying in some extra bandwidth would go a long way to help.

I agree, the website does leave a bit to be desired in terms of how well it copes with extra traffic. It isn't particularly a bandwidth issue, it's more likely to be a lack of power on the server. But a relatively cheap solution to that is to use a CDN in front of it.

• RMweb Gold

I agree, the website does leave a bit to be desired in terms of how well it copes with extra traffic. It isn't particularly a bandwidth issue, it's more likely to be a lack of power on the server. But a relatively cheap solution to that is to use a CDN in front of it.

I blame the Russians for selling them cheap Hamster Powered Servers

I'm a little confused over some prices (Hornby website figures) ;

Re-released  -  R3560  -  BR Black Q1 Class  0-6-0  =  £109.99

Re-released  -  R3531 - BR Black M7 Tank 0-4-4T   =  £144.99

New  R3539 - BR Black H-class 0-4-4T  =  £109.99  !!!!!

"Does not compute"   -  what makes the M7 so expensive ?

-------------------------

Also, the Schools class R  "" is now in the Railroad category.

• RMweb Gold

Looking through the locos, and nice to see the Schools loco in my old schol name, but a big error with ivery. The locos were all black up till late 50s, when the old emblem was used, but only green with newer emblem. Hornby had done a green one correctly in older tender drive. I would have prefered it in black, if it had to be BR(but have one renamed/numbeed already), but would have been tempted if it had been in pre war Southern livery.

I will have to check my full records when I get home but a small number of members of the Schools class received Brunswick Green during 1956 including 30935 in December 1956, and some of these definitely carried the early crest whilst in Brunswick Green, for example 30907 definitely did, although I can not yet say for certain that this included 30935.

• RMweb Gold

Also, the Schools class R  "" is now in the Railroad category.

The original ex tender drive version of the Schools class entered the Railroad range a while back, in parallel to the latest updated version in the main range.

• RMweb Gold

I will have to check my full records when I get home but a small number of members of the Schools class received Brunswick Green during 1956 including 30935 in December 1956, and some of these definitely carried the early crest whilst in Brunswick Green, for example 30907 definitely did, although I can not yet say for certain that this included 30935.

30935 definitely did carry a early crest in Brunswick Green

• RMweb Gold

I hope it's the 1967 version, but would lack the cab MU cables and of course non-refurbished state and EE lease plate. Will need to wait and see, a proper four hundreder.

Neil

D400 (and D401) were fitted with MU cables from new, so the fitment is ok for 1967. As said above, it looks like a miss match of body styles, unless it is only a mock up. The same can be said for the Railroad 31, I hope it's only a mock up or they are going to repeat the mistake of the Blue Railroad 31 release and have a 'mongrel' of pre and post refurb details. Although the cab front and bodyside steps areas can't be seen that is definitely the post refurb chassis without bufferbeam cowlings.

The picture looks like it's the 1967 version body (hurray if it is)... it has the sand boxes etc... (but then the artwork for 50015 in Dutch also had them :-), but the as released correctly didn't.

D400 in the 1990s had an orange contrail stripe, and refurb body without sandboxes etc.

Hoping this is an as built.

Quite a nice range in 2017, nice to see some returnees to the range, the BR Green Royal Scot seems nicely priced and some of my older ones could do with a trade in.

Also nice to see much of the 2016 range has sold out.

Does anyone know if the Blue/Grey Mk1s @£35.99 are with lights ? (The railroad ones are priced at £21.99), Ive kind of been carried away by the lights in the previous two releases, which sold out so I'm thinking a Blue/Grey rake would be in keeping :-)

Edited by adb968008

Great to see the 8F is in the catalogue - a long overdue essential locomotive for LMS/LMR modellers.  The screenshots of the new release with the Fowler tender appear to show what might be gear wheels underneath but I assume Hornby have mocked this up using an old tender model.  The accompanying description helpfully states that it has a 5-pole skew wound motor, locomotive drive.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

I'm happy with a Colas 60 this year.

I don't know why there are so many moans about not doing this or that and then complaining about a price. Buy less but buy what you really want. I'm glad there is less announced with the higher prices we now need to pay as it still means I can get what I would like without missing out.

I hope it's a good year for Hornby and there financial position improves.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Other than drive, are there many differences between the railroad and newer Schools? I've been looking at photos of newer ones against my tender drive one and can't see much difference... at least on the exterior. 

Its a vast improvement in finer details, pipework, chassis detailing and variations of cab shape and blastpipe chimneys.