Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

I  REALLY hope that Hornby have made the right choices to sell out all of these  -  they have to make a profit to survive.

However, as it is traditional to moan, I will say I find it worrying that they set a countdown clock and then announce things early  -  it thoroughly ruined my intention to sit down with a cup of tea and some bikkies (H & P of course) to enjoy the announcements.   :sungum:

Good luck Hornby in 2017.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

Delighted with 60 087 Clic Sargent in Colas livery, which will go on the top of my OTA log train. Pic shows the loco at Wrexham on the Kronospan twigs. Might also go for the 87 in blue, other than that, I'm done. Just as well really with the 8 deposits/crowd funders I'm already committed to.

post-22167-0-56166100-1483526579_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Not a great range for me,got excited when I saw the green 31 only to be disappointed at it being a railroad one.

Scaledale is a bit weak too, I was hoping for council houses and flint cottages

Council houses, yes - there are a lot of them about.

Perhaps an issue of small brick detatched, semi-detached and terraced houses would be in keeping with the modern era, especially for modelling "Garden Villages" and clusters of "Starter Homes".

Green 31s, even if in Railroad, are good - at least there's no Mazak there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I  REALLY hope that Hornby have made the right choices to sell out all of these  -  they have to make a profit to survive.

However, as it is traditional to moan, I will say I find it worrying that they set a countdown clock and then announce things early  -  it thoroughly ruined my intention to sit down with a cup of tea and some bikkies (H & P of course) to enjoy the announcements.

Good luck Hornby in 2017.

Phil

Hornby via their social media always said 10 GMT, and information they gave me, it was the Hattons advert that had the countdown timer set to midday for some reason.

Pleased to see a TTS 08 decoder. If these sound ok i think a fair few of them will find there way into Bachmann / Dapol 08s

Also on my shopping list will be the Class 31 and 37 both with TTS Sound.

That £600 train set is insane, shame they used mallard in 2 sets they couldve picked a different A4 for one of the sets

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also note that on the Hornby website, as in the 2017 catalogue the diagram numbers for the two SR cattle trucks have been transposed (as I mention on my blog post). It is the Maunsell diagram 1529 that is in the large SR pre 1936 livery with the Bulleid diagram 1530 in the BR livery, the images are correct just the description heading wrong.

• RMweb Gold

I am merely asking for reasonable supplies of goods, not being grateful for crumbs which seem to satisfy yourself. At least Hornby have a new version, but no repeats of the popular ones........yes, this is distressing, it is a British Company who seem to have their heads buried in the sand. I would not have ordered a quantity till the first were tested out.

It is not wailing to comment on our site about model railways, and lack of supplies introduce on a glut or famine sales method. It leaves the smaller traders with customers who cannot purchase the originals, and the Hornby announcement only has one version,, so if we need two or more they will have to be pre-ordered yet again, with another long wait.

Everybody I have shown the locos to wants to buy them, but now a wait and at least a new livery, but it will mean repaints to match earlier purchases or an all black fleet.

It is also not wailing to publish all the help and advice I can supply freely about Model Railways, I always try to help as much as possible and not criticise modellers, but Companies who supply the Modeller are a different matter altogether.

Stephen

Hornby have been bitten in the past by rerunning liveries that then do not sell out second time around - they have very nearly gone bust through such mismanagement and, were that to happen, there would be no Pecketts for anybody.

I think you do need to stop the moaning (for that is what it is) and realise that Hornby have a very fine line to walk between keeping people happy and going bust. You seem to be one of the few that is not happy, so I would suggest that they have pretty much got that right.

Did you buy one of the recently available models? If not, why not? As Andy Y pointed out, you could have (and probably still can) get some from suppliers yesterday - that being after people had reported on them and found them to be excellent.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Lots nice new stuff this year. My partner just caught me looking. Just got the go ahead to pre-order what I want. But I can't go to mad. Good will shall only go so far. I only managed to sneak a peckett in after I promised to name it after her.

Big james

• RMweb Gold

It is also not wailing to publish all the help and advice I can supply freely about Model Railways, I always try to help as much as possible and not criticise modellers, but Companies who supply the Modeller are a different matter altogether.

In fairness to you, Stephen, that's entirely correct and much appreciated by all who are able to take advantage of your advice.

I am merely asking for reasonable supplies of goods, not being grateful for crumbs which seem to satisfy yourself. At least Hornby have a new version, but no repeats of the popular ones........yes, this is distressing, it is a British Company who seem to have their heads buried in the sand. I would not have ordered a quantity till the first were tested out.

It is not wailing to comment on our site about model railways, and lack of supplies introduce on a glut or famine sales method. It leaves the smaller traders with customers who cannot purchase the originals, and the Hornby announcement only has one version,, so if we need two or more they will have to be pre-ordered yet again, with another long wait.

Everybody I have shown the locos to wants to buy them, but now a wait and at least a new livery, but it will mean repaints to match earlier purchases or an all black fleet.

Stephen

Stephen,

You're bewailing the passing of an era that ended many moons ago!

At one time, if Hornby sold more of a product than was anticipated, 'Fred' was sent to the tool store and told to bring out the tools for product A; install them on moulding machine 1, and knock out however many sets of mouldings that would meet the perceived shortfall. Production of a slower moving product would be delayed to accommodate this. That all ended when UK production ceased - end of !!!!

If you think that you have a better crystal ball than Hornby, and can accurately forecast future sales of new products, you could always offer your services to Hornby.

If you insist on getting user feedback on new products before attempting to purchase, you're going to save an awful lot of money from your modelling budget - but you won't have many new products to run.

The tactic nowadays, like it or not, is to pre-order - it's virtually mandatory if you want a specific version of a model.

If, in the end, a new model dissatisfies you, you can resell it on Ebay to someone who insists on getting user feedback before purchase - just keep quiet about why to don't like it to avoid devaluing the market.

As Andy has said, all this wingeing is getting up many noses - the solution is in your own hands.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Maroon Colletts (though the artwork looks more like all over crimson).

Did anyone notice the GWR 14xx/48xx is now a Railroad loco?  (Hardly surprising but I don't recall this getting a mention before)

• Like 1

Hornby have been bitten in the past by rerunning liveries that then do not sell out second time around - they have very nearly gone bust through such mismanagement and, were that to happen, there would be no Pecketts for anybody.

I think you do need to stop the moaning (for that is what it is) and realise that Hornby have a very fine line to walk between keeping people happy and going bust. You seem to be one of the few that is not happy, so I would suggest that they have pretty much got that right.

Did you buy one of the recently available models? If not, why not? As Andy Y pointed out, you could have (and probably still can) get some from suppliers yesterday - that being after people had reported on them and found them to be excellent.

Roy

Well I know at least 10 people who would have bought Dodo for one, and that is not including the planned purchase of another 4 for myself.

There are none left ( although I am sure shops I cannot contact may have some). To ensure a supply of the black finish I have already pre ordered them this morning on block.

• RMweb Gold

My shopping list is looking shorter than anticipated; 'Trevone', the red Sentinel (maybe the other one, too), the black Peckett, two cattle wagons and a Toad..

Quite a cheap year for me, but looking at the price of the HST Power car pack, I'm awfully glad I don't model the modern scene. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Successfully predicted the release of a collection of Big Four locos represented in 1947 condition and the release of D400.

Good to see the 8F reintroduced, also high-window Maunsell lined olive carriages.

Surprisingly, the Stanier compartment stock has yet to appear in BR lined maroon.

At least the class 73 and 14xx are now in the Railroad range.

Two PO wagons R6815 (Kasner) and R6817 (Gadsden) will be added to my collection.

Well I know at least 10 people who would have bought Dodo for one, and that is not including the planned purchase of another 4 for myself.

There are none left ( although I am sure shops I cannot contact may have some). To ensure a supply of the black finish I have already pre ordered them this morning on block.

...... so why didn't you (and the other 10) do that for the first batch?

...... oh, I remember, you insist on getting user feedback on a new product.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maroon Colletts (though the artwork looks more like all over crimson).

You beat me to it!

Now very tempting indeed.

As regards these Pecketts, they seem to have almost acquired the status of some kind of 'barter currency', such is the demand for them.

Perhaps we now need promissory note 'I promise on demand to pay the bearer one Hornby Peckett', or the 'Half Peckett' note - 'I promise on demand to pay the bearer one Hornby Peckett chassis or body'.

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Nice range of stuff, but none of it really interesting to me....maybe the LMS coaches, but nothing else. :)

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

The black peckett is the one for me -already pre-ordered from Hornby, but will keep my eyes open for some elsewhere.

Maybe pick up the red rod sentinel, but as I've already got a similar one in 'Barabel', i'm not too concerned.