The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Well Toto said they wouldn't announce their Driver until the 3rd January when they go back to work. I would guess that despite VB visiting the Merc Factory before Christmas, something must be holding up the Contract Signing.

Chinese New Year delays?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Well Toto said they wouldn't announce their Driver until the 3rd January when they go back to work. I would guess that despite VB visiting the Merc Factory before Christmas, something must be holding up the Contract Signing.

Or maybe they are playing a clever game and will surprise all commentators with someone totally unexpected (please add your favourite in the space provided below)

• RMweb Gold

Sour grapes. All the teams are at it with the heave elements in the suspension. Some are just doing it better than others and as is their usual MO, Ferrari lodge a complaint when they can't get it to work for them. 

I still say it will be VETTEL, or maybe a dark horse like Perez

Or could Jenson be tempted back?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks like CH has forgotten that RBR won the Championship 3 years on the trot with almost NO opposition.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18393426/christian-horner-thinks-mercedes-dominance-unhealthy-f1

Mercedes dominance dwarfs RBR's "dominance" though. RBR won 53% of races from 2010-2013, Mercedes have won 86% over the past 3 years. And the RBR years were a lot more competitive, right up until the end sometimes. Mercedes' domination has been nearly absolute.

• RMweb Gold

I see the BRDC is having the usual hand-wringing about the BGP. Considering dropping it from 2019. Yawn. Posturing by the blazers about the costs not met by income as usual. In my yoof, the Grand National was always under threat, because Mrs Mirabelle Topham, who owned the place, wanted, she said, to sell it for housing.

Silverstone is far from my favourite circuit, and its ownership by a bunch of people steeped in an era when winning cars were painted green doesn't help. But this is the ideal time of year for rattling such sabres. And the media loves it.

• Like 1

I see the BRDC is having the usual hand-wringing about the BGP. Considering dropping it from 2019. Yawn. Posturing by the blazers about the costs not met by income as usual. In my yoof, the Grand National was always under threat, because Mrs Mirabelle Topham, who owned the place, wanted, she said, to sell it for housing.

Silverstone is far from my favourite circuit, and its ownership by a bunch of people steeped in an era when winning cars were painted green doesn't help. But this is the ideal time of year for rattling such sabres. And the media loves it.

They should still paint the winning cars green though :no:

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Again

It's a shame, but it's tough at the top

Quite right, and in F1 it always was - but the numbers are telephone size these days. Series like Indycars solve this by keeping the tech simple, but the F1 promoters are not in that game. When Ecclebum finally goes there may be a rethink. These new owners are being touted as good news - but they are capitalists first and foremost so will not be content to settle for lower income. If whizzier is perceived to bring in the punters, then that is what we will continue to get. 

• RMweb Gold

Again

The exact word that crossed my mind when I first read about it earlier today.

I'm also hoping the new owners will see this as not being good for the sport and make the distribution of wealth a bit fairer.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts on the hybrid engines:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18393859/f1-hybrid-engines-just-marketing-blurb-adrian-newey

They should be BANNED from Motor Spot.

O.K. Look at the total package

They build a Hybrid Car to save Fuel.

200 plus Engineers travel to each race from each team so 11 x 22 = 242.

probably 20 plus cars per team

plus those great big lorries

Then there's Bernie's entourage.

well I could go on but I'm getting bored already.

Roll on testing, even more fuel wasted.

F1 needs a huge makeover. Other a few circuits it is simply pricing itself out of existence. It is like a huge whale swallowing very bit of cash possible and at the same minimum entertainment . How many races form 21015 can you still remember ? I can still remember being up in the middle of the night in 1986 to watch Mansell have his tyre explosion and lose the championship.

Look at the BTCC as an example of close proper racing, multiple winners etc etc. A very simple reason why it is so good entertainment ,win a race and you get added weight for the next one . 

Compare current F1 whoever has the most money and the best personnel will win 99% of the time , accidents and the very rare breakdown allowing a minute element of excitement. Don't forget come 2019 unless someone takes it over yet again there will be zero free watching on TV. How many will be willing to pay to watch if it continues in its current very tired format.

The days of Cosworth, BRM and Ferrari and then the  Turbo era that had massive blow ups etc as the technology was always cutting edge, the teams never really knew what might happen at the next race. The drivers actually drove the cars no aids, multiple buttons to press and an accelerator cable that snapped on occasions, as wasn't all wireless electronic aids !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They should be BANNED from Motor Spot.

O.K. Look at the total package

They build a Hybrid Car to save Fuel.

200 plus Engineers travel to each race from each team so 11 x 22 = 242.

probably 20 plus cars per team

plus those great big lorries

Then there's Bernie's entourage.

well I could go on but I'm getting bored already.

Roll on testing, even more fuel wasted.

All true, Andy, but dwarfed by the effect on the environment of the spectators queuing for hours to get into the circuit! Not to mention getting out again....

• RMweb Gold

F1 needs a huge makeover. Other a few circuits it is simply pricing itself out of existence. It is like a huge whale swallowing very bit of cash possible and at the same minimum entertainment . How many races form 21015 can you still remember ? I can still remember being up in the middle of the night in 1986 to watch Mansell have his tyre explosion and lose the championship.

Look at the BTCC as an example of close proper racing, multiple winners etc etc. A very simple reason why it is so good entertainment ,win a race and you get added weight for the next one . 

Compare current F1 whoever has the most money and the best personnel will win 99% of the time , accidents and the very rare breakdown allowing a minute element of excitement. Don't forget come 2019 unless someone takes it over yet again there will be zero free watching on TV. How many will be willing to pay to watch if it continues in its current very tired format.

The days of Cosworth, BRM and Ferrari and then the  Turbo era that had massive blow ups etc as the technology was always cutting edge, the teams never really knew what might happen at the next race. The drivers actually drove the cars no aids, multiple buttons to press and an accelerator cable that snapped on occasions, as wasn't all wireless electronic aids !!

They could make it all a lot more interesting and save a lot of fuel by abolishing qualifying which becomes ever more tedious with every rule change.

Just draw the names out of a hat for race one and start in reverse order of the previous race finish thereafter.

At least that way the Mercedes drivers would get to know what the other cars look like before they lap them. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

I wonder what happened to Ron Dennis' interest, or was he, and others, waiting for Administration to get it at a lower price, d'ya think?

I suspect that he will be restrained from acting in any official capacity until his contract with McLaren is officially terminated on 31/01/2017. I rather expect that it will be too late for Manor by then.

there is still a chance that it could race, but the prospects are not good (I expect that they have missed their window for the first test already) and are lessening by the day. The administrators will sell the team as a going concern if they can, but you're talking £100 million to run around at the back for a year - not likely to grab huge investment