MMRG Warminster Show June 17 2017

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

Very good show indeed. Congratulations to all for organising.

Arun Quay was worth the entry only alone, but that shouldn't detract from the other layouts. They were all good.

The new 2021 pannier was also on the SEF & Branchlines stand which was a nice surprise.

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant, brilliant, excellent show, well done Jerry, Kim and the rest of the organising team. I even managed to get a slice of quiche to go with my cake at lunch time!

Sorry about the shorts, but well, you know, what can I say, get over it!

One of the reasons I went, like many others, was to see Arun Quay, and we weren't disappointed. It was superb, just superb.

But there were many other excellent layouts there, in fact, all of them were excellent. One highlight for me was being allowed to provide some 'guest engines' for Shelfie, by PMP, which is another superb bit of modelling and another inspiration for all of us involved in the cameo competition. It's got a lot of atmosphere packed into a small space, and I really, really liked it.

It was most unfortunate that Chris Nevard couldn't make it, but hopefully we can catch up with him and his latest creation in the not too distant future.

I also managed to get everything I wanted from Branchlines, including another 'quirky' bit of motive power, the Muir Hill tractor kit, which I'm looking forward to building, having been inspired by the blog posts by Shelf Island.

• Like 4

A few more from Arun Quay. I think you can tell that I like it, a lot! Congratulations to Gordon and Maggie.

all the best

Godfrey

Sublime modelling and beautiful photos. I was feeling quite proud of my own layout until I saw these photos......

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I had a brilliant day, talking cobblers as usual but this time without any books.....

Lovely venue, top quality visitors and nice trains too.

Thank you to Jerry for organizing it and to Kim and the girls for all the glamour and cakes. I enjoyed sharing my gauge one bits and at least managed to de-mask my sprayed brake van and ream out one hole in the BR van kit ready for roller bearings.

All the layouts were good I thought, Arun Quay was clever and visually pleasing - the whole show was very inspiring.

Apparently all the bread pudding I made got eaten too, wonders wil never cease.......

Simon

• Like 4

Visited the show for the first time yesterday and certainly wasn't disappointed! A great selection of layout on display, plus lots of excellent demos too. Was great to finally see Sydney Gardens and Shelfie in the flesh too. 

Here's a little video I took on the day. Hope it's of interest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuf3MJikqYc

post-20663-0-21287900-1497772776_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A most enjoyable day after travelling up by train in the company of 'Himself' and 10800. A most convenient venue for those who wished to travel by rail.

The quality of exhibits was exceptional as were the demonstrators, several of whom were authors whose books we all have. Even in such company a certain individual's knobbly knees didn't intrude too much!

The good Captain did seem to enjoy himself driving his own engines on PMP's 'Shelfie'

Thanks to Jerry and Kim and all their helpers in doing us proud. Already looking forward to two year's time for the next one.

Some phone snaps......

Some lovely scenic work on 'Arun Quay'

post-6728-0-13683500-1497773804_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-51851200-1497772952_thumb.jpg

'Horselunges' with its superb architectural modelling.

post-6728-0-95056300-1497773043_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-80418500-1497773110_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-37930100-1497773146_thumb.jpg

'Sydney Gardens'

post-6728-0-90412700-1497773249_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-22268300-1497773275_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-15557700-1497773558_thumb.jpg

'Heybridge Wharfe' in 3mm

post-6728-0-60550200-1497773440_thumb.jpg

'Trerice'

post-6728-0-94425000-1497773621_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-61954700-1497773698_thumb.jpg

PMP's 'Shelfie'

post-6728-0-40908400-1497773997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This was a most enjoyable show, one of the best I've been to in terms of quality of layouts and friendly ambience. Thanks to all who came along and chatted at PMP's Shelfie, it was great fun, and it was nice to be able to run a couple of guests locos courtesy of Captain Kernow's beautiful J72 and Jinty models, as well as that DJH shunter, all of which ran impeccably on plain DC.

I was very, very, very tempted by the 2021 and 571 class panniers on the Finecast stand but resolved to complete another loco or two in the kit stash before adding to it. In the end I contented myself with some wheels, crankpins and motor/gearbox parts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"You put ya left leg in, ya right leg out, twiddle with a knob and a train comes out ! "

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

L.Goodman

I seem to remember him modelling those in the Matalan 1987 summer catalogue which inspired me to buy a pair.

Still my besties now...

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember reading that Arun Quay was not quite finished?? Good. Grief! Surely it must be close to the end? Stunning work anyway, inspirational in fact.

Cheers,

David

Yes in speaking to Gordon there are several things to complete - including I believe a building on the right hand side of the layout looking from the front (look for the white space in the pictures). Also the presentation of the layout, exhibition wise, still has to be finalised.

Arun Quay is scheduled to make its debut as a "finished" layout at the Uckfield Model Railway Exhibition on the 21st & 22nd October this year.

Edited by adrianmc

• RMweb Premium

To echo what everyone else has said, an excellent show, and huge thanks to Jerry and the organising team.  I THINK I got a good look at everything, but probably spent as much time nattering and eating cake as anything else.

It seemed like half the Exeter Gauge O Group were there, it was genuinely a "modeller's" show.

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the MMRG are to be congratulated on two counts.

The first is holding an absolutely superb exhibition.

The second is jumpstarting the English summer.

Mark

Very many thanks to all concerned for organising this excellent show. I hope it does become a regular on the circuit.

Highlights for me:

1. Arun Quay - another belter from the Gravetts, and looks to be a worthy successor to the much missed (for me anyway) Ditchling Green. The concept of the back scene was stunning.

2. Finding that the proprietor of Shelfie was at the same school as me many moons ago, so shared a few memories. Shelfie is really excellent; and cause for me to get the modelling hat on again!

3. Last, but by no means least, the chance to see some of Iain Rice's North Cornwall Minerals loco's and stock "in the flesh". I came across the article on the building of Hercules in an old Model Railways magazine, and have since tracked down every article on this series of layouts that I can lay my hands on. To see the stock was a great pleasure (and ticks another box, having seen some of the Buckingham loco's at Expo EM earlier this year!!)

Once again, many thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phew, what a scorcher.......!!

Well it's all over now and I think it's pretty safe to say we will do it all again in two years time. I would like to publically thank all the exhibitors, traders, demonstrators, stewards, tea and cake volunteers and not least the punters for contributing to what was a really great day. It made all the hard work leading up to the day worthwhile.

I'm really pleased with how the venue worked out. Despite it being the hottest day of the year it was never unbearable even mid morning when the place was very busy.

Thanks also for all the kind comments on here. I was very fortunate to be able to persuade some really top quality layouts and demonstrators to come along. I now have the problem of having to produce the difficult second album.

Jerry

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I thought there was a nice spread of layouts from the good right through to stunning, this wasn't an elitist selection just damn good modelling and they varied from the busy mainline to bucolic branch where the detail gave you something to look at when nothing was moving.

• Like 1

Phew, what a scorcher.......!!

Well it's all over now and I think it's pretty safe to say we will do it all again in two years time. I would like to publically thank all the exhibitors, traders, demonstrators, stewards, tea and cake volunteers and not least the punters for contributing to what was a really great day. It made all the hard work leading up to the day worthwhile.

I'm really pleased with how the venue worked out. Despite it being the hottest day of the year it was never unbearable even mid morning when the place was very busy.

Thanks also for all the kind comments on here. I was very fortunate to be able to persuade some really top quality layouts and demonstrators to come along. I now have the problem of having to produce the difficult second album.

Jerry

I should quit whilst you're on top, Gerry!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who posted photos - stuck over here I hardly get to any shows now, as a weekend away costs so much due to the ferries etc.

To have seen Iain Rice's North Cornwall Minerals stock would have been superb, I found the series of articles so inspiring, as I do all Iain's writings really.  All the layouts shown were of a superb quality - unmatchable be me, but again so inspirational.  Well done to the organisers too.

edit for grim typing.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1