RMweb

Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Day out for the great unwashed.

Some people spend more money on Model Railways but some how can't buy a bar of soap and this show in the past has had a few of them walking around. 

I'd reckon a certain number of them are pretty inevitable at any event that draws over 15,000 attendees over two days.

I wonder if everybody at the Bike show today will be fully fragrant. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

My personal mission has been aborted due to the fragile signalling system between Yeovil and Exeter.

Looking at it positively, I've just arrived home twelve hours early and a couple of hundred quid better off............

Have a good day everyone else.

John

Wasn't like that when you were there 'doing it' John. bad luck.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It's 9.25, we're in a big tin shed on the edge of Solihull and we've got our 3D glasses on.

It must be Warley.

Come and see Pendon in 3D on the BRM stand at B22.

HA ! Even the boss can't get his photos right way round - those 3D glasses have made everything look sideways . . . . . . 

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, could we have a report on the number of people that smell strongly of:

aftershave/body-lotion/ pit spray/ pit roll on/ beer/ spirits/ fag smoke/ pipe smoke/ spliff smoke/ unusual drugs/ flux/ liquid poly/ destroyed decoder/ pets/ excessive food spillage/ wealth?

Bet they outnumber the few with a slightly unusual aroma.

S. Tatistics

• RMweb Gold

Is the fish and chip stall there this year? :)

Oh no I can see a debate about crinkle cut, chunky or bootlace chips coming soon, is it to be salt & vinegar, red sauce, brown sauce, curry sauce or mayo aaaagh...

Everyone enjoy the day out and think positive.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Hi  gang, while we poke a little fun at coats and smells I think the little notice that now is added to many London midland notices on disabled/ access for all toilets is a good one - "not all disabilities are visible." 

Given that numbers to the show are in the 17- 20,000 range statistically (and I know you can "prove" anything with numbers) it is a small number > 3% perhaps are obvious and my thought is "grace of god go I."  Equally valid is the comment we do not "smell" ourselves ?!

Bags are a problem - and do expect to be possibly searched at NEC random bag search staff are on duty in public areas - I saw quite a queue on the link bridge this week for the festive fair - that was in hall 5 as well!  I think it is right and fair that if you perceive a problem then say something as it is accident mitigation. 

Equally access scooters/ wheelchairs need to be mindful of the surroundings and often a quiet word opens up new friendships. A few years ago I met a gent who was profoundly deaf and partially mute enjoying the show - we conversed using pen and paper.  We happen across each other at several shows each year. He does not have a flying pennant saying "deaf" he just gets on with life and fits in.

It is all about plucking up courage and timing many folk can be embarrassed if an "accident" has occurred, if we are not in a mad rush then it is amazing what "old soldiers" there are out in the world. There will be band of yellow shirted "here to help" and a good smattering of NEC staff on duty who can be contacted if needs be. 

The important thing is to have a good show and be tolerant and aware of the surroundings, while gaining insight and joy from the hobby plus helping the traders keep the taxman "happy."  See you all next week.

Robert           

I had missed this post previously. Excellent and well said. We can all have a slightly  amusing 'dig', but there but for the Grace of God etc.

Thanks Robert

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had missed this post previously. Excellent and well said. We can all have a slightly  amusing 'dig', but there but for the Grace of God etc.

Thanks Robert

Phil

Quite, and I think that is says something on the level of intolerance in today's 'it's all about me' society that it is even necessary to write it about a model railway show. ​I live out of the country and sometimes wonder whether I should pay air fares, hotels, and food, on top of the admission to visit my first show in over 30 years, But then I read a lot of what people say on here about exhibitions and think perhaps not.

• RMweb Premium

Quite, and I think that is says something on the level of intolerance in today's 'it's all about me' society that it is even necessary to write it about a model railway show. ​I live out of the country and sometimes wonder whether I should pay air fares, hotels, and food, on top of the admission to visit my first show in over 30 years, But then I read a lot of what people say on here about exhibitions and think perhaps not.

Pop on the Ferry and come over to Hull next year, or maybe Donny if you like a bigger show. Friendly and fun without the 'reputation'.

All the best

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would like to say a massive thanks to JZ of this parish for the offer of a lift up tomorrow but unfortunately I can't go for various reasons (I had a bath last *Sunday mainly etc etc).

Cheers mate  :thankyou:

That's a blatant lie.... if you leave it long enough it falls off in lumps ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Pop on the Ferry and come over to Hull next year, or maybe Donny if you like a bigger show. Friendly and fun without the 'reputation'.

All the best

Phil

The problem is that the ferry from Denmark stopped a few years ago. I was in the UK last weekend , just to late for a show in Southampton I found out on Monday when I saw an AA sign for it :umbrage: .

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

Oi, that's mine that is........................................ :mosking:

N.V. Green

Should I open the box ?

(Meanwhile at the DJstand, J94, O2 and Beatties are £50 for returns, picked up a new (non return) J94 for £65

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

DJModels were making a big announcement at noon today - what is it?

There are good things showing at Bachmann, especially the breakdown crane which looks stunning, and the Brighton Atlantic is in decorated form for the first time - see the report on the Bachmann bit of RMweb.

There is a new gunpowder wagon from Rapido. Is there any sign of the N7 at Oxford Diecast/Rail's stand?

Keep the news coming, please, folks.

John Storey

in Edinburgh!