Stations Without Footbridges or Subways

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

I know Littlehaven well from my time as a driver at Horsham. Hardly a day went by without a couple of commuters leaving it until the last minute to run down to the station...

Kintbury is the same, the commuters always used to get caught out as they where under the impression their train was the only train on the railway, if the timing was right 1A72 would role into the station and the barriers would stay down for 7C29. The other problem was if the HST didn't pull forward enough the rear power car would keep the barriers down by the T/C, I remember trying to explain that to a very angry commuter who thought I was keeping them down on purpose, don't think it helped when I told him he should get to the station earlier.

Back to the topic, I know Kings Sutton lost its footbridge, to get a barrow crossing, which was in turn replaced by a new footbridge, after a near miss. I think the majority (if not all) of stations on the Bedford to Bletchley rely on the level crossing for changing platforms.

Edited for ruddy iPad auto correct

Stations consisting of a single island platform often (but not always) require neither a footbridge or a subway, access being via steps or a slope up or down to the nearest road. Many of the stations on the Cathcart Circle follow this pattern. 

• RMweb Gold

Dunsignalling has mentioned what is now called revenue protection, but in fact most stations only have/had a ticket office one side or the other, so punters might well need to arrive on one platform, buy their ticket and then access the other platform for their train. Footcrossings at the end of parallel-platformed stations were therefore legion, especially on secondary routes, and the South Eastern Railway, fond of staggered platforms, sometimes put the crossing in the stagger.

• RMweb Gold

I know it's not GWR/WR, but apart from Appleby (and maybe Settle, I don't remember) none of the intermediate stations on the Settle Carlisle had footbridges. They all relied on boarded crossings, even the junction at Garsdale which might have seen increased foot traffic despite its remoteness.

So even relatively busy main lines have this precedent.

Steve

Garsdale (ex Hawes Junction) on the Settle and Carlisle - and it's an awful long walk under the road bridge back to the car park beside the opposite platform. I have been known to take a short cut across the tracks.

(Edit - the previous poster just beat me to it   :cry: )

Howden on the Selby - Hull line has staggered platforms and the only way from one to other is via level -xing.

Goole, where I am at moment using Tesco's free wi-fi, only has access from one platform to the other via a pedestrian underpass next to the level x-ing.

stevepost-143-0-04615500-1484404522_thumb.jpg

steve

• RMweb Gold

Settle only gained a footbridge in the 1990's (or poss late 80's).

Kennett near Newmarket still has a foot crossing as does Thurston not far away.

Kidwelly has a road at the eastern end but no crossing from platform to platform directly.

Shippea Hill and Lakenheath each have a road to the eastern end with no direction access from platform to platform (in fact plenty of East Anglian protoypes)

• RMweb Gold

Forest Hill, SE23. All 4 platforms used a subway.

Ian

As I had only known Forest Hill since the 1970s, I was unaware of it having more than two platforms, with a footbridge. So I did the usual and found this delightful mini-history of the station. I had been through the public footpath subway in the past, never realizing it formerly gave access to the narrow central island platform.

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1023

One of the 1854 photos shows a shelter, on what seems to have been a single-sided central platform, which looks more like a modern shelter on a diesel fueling point! It can't have given much protection.

• RMweb Gold

Balmoral railway station features this design. You have to walk to the end of the platform, down a long ramp to a road then go under the railway line then back up the ramp to the station.

Edit: Balmoral is quite a busy commuting station as well as being on the main line.

Also nearby Derriaghy, Hilden and Moira. In fact a lot of stations with either a road bridge or level crossing adjacent. .

• RMweb Gold

On the Wrexham-bidston line alone you have cefn-y-bedd, caergwrle, shotton, neston and heswall

As an interesting point of note hawarden is the only station on the line with a footbridge between the platforms (all others have foot crossings) the reason being the land owner at the time of building the railway (lord Gladstone?) insisted on a bridge so he wouldn't get hit by a train

• RMweb Premium

Spring Road, Yardley Wood, Whitlocks End, Wythall, Earlswood (used to have one), The Lakes, Wood End (used to have one) and Wootton Wawen on the North Warwickshire Line all use a nearby road over bridge.

Brian

Edited Wood End

In the same area Bordesley Station, two island platforms (accessed from the Coventry Road underneath):

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/bordesley.htm

But maybe you could stay within the station boundary if you needed to change platforms?

There were several doors at street level.

This is the current inviting(?) entrance:

https://goo.gl/maps/VqMMTVnUgJK2

(There is only one island platform left)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

In the same area Bordesley Station, two island platforms (accessed from the Coventry Road underneath):

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/bordesley.htm

But maybe you could stay within the station boundary if you needed to change platforms?

There were several doors at street level.

This is the current inviting(?) entrance:

https://goo.gl/maps/VqMMTVnUgJK2

(There is only one island platform left)

Keith

And very little opportunity to catch a train there.

• RMweb Premium

Built as "motor halts" but losing the suffix when white corporate signs replaced green totems East Worthing requires use of the road overbridge while at Aldrington you need a packed lunch on the way down one lengthy footpath, using a somewhat distant road beneath the railway then climbing another long path to the offset opposite platform. Which latter must have caused some annoyance to those changing between the Worthing and Dyke trains. Fishersgate however has its own footbridge as part of a right of way severed when the line was built.

Archived