RMweb

Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Hi all,

Joel Bright, MD of Dapol has confirmed to me today that they (and their wholesalers) will not supply to any retailer advertising or supply at prices lower than 15% off the RRP.  This includes honouring items pre-ordered at a lower price i.e. if an item rises from £90 to £100 RRP then then it has to be retailed at £85 or more, regardless of pre-orders placed at an earlier, lower price

Cheers

Dave

So in that case cost goes up to whatever but for preorders heres £x for full and final compensation for breach of contract. Only a suggestion.

While the GF max discount for 90 days probably does help local shops I don't see the benifit for Dapol products, they either don't produce enough in which case they are never seen in the shops or they produce to much in which case you migt as well wait for the Int N Gauge show where Dapol will masively undercut shops to shift thier stock (particularly stuff with livery errors!).

Roll on the N gauge version

So in that case cost goes up to whatever but for preorders heres £x for full and final compensation for breach of contract. Only a suggestion.

While the GF max discount for 90 days probably does help local shops I don't see the benifit for Dapol products, they either don't produce enough in which case they are never seen in the shops or they produce to much in which case you migt as well wait for the Int N Gauge show where Dapol will masively undercut shops to shift thier stock (particularly stuff with livery errors!).

Roll on the N gauge version

This is exactly what happened with the HIA's, all the retailers had to put the prices up, irrespective of pre-order prices.

The only option was to cancel your order...

Edited by martin_l_jones

Joel Bright, MD of Dapol has confirmed to me today that they (and their wholesalers) will not supply to any retailer advertising or supply at prices lower than 15% off the RRP.  This includes honouring items pre-ordered at a lower price.

I know Joel too. Shall have to wait and see won't we. I know I am not altering my loyalty. Last time I ordered with eHattons it took over a week to get my next day delivery order and several phone calls to encourage dispatch!

Back to 68s, I wonder do we as customers prefer to see all developments and accept in that process there shall be errors - which through a professional conversation could help identify them and improve the development process. Or do we prefer to see when 'it is done' and the sample we see, is what we get?

Back to 68s, I wonder do we as customers prefer to see all developments and accept in that process there shall be errors - which through a professional conversation could help identify them and improve the development process. Or do we prefer to see when 'it is done' and the sample we see, is what we get?

I would have thought for both company and consumer that using a process that allows errors to be picked up on and corrected during development is preferable for better sales.  I never understand why anyone would think differently.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I presume the pre production models get passed around for review but the general public rarely get their hands on them or do they..

If you ask nicely, yes.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77952-Dapol-announce-rights-to-n-oo-gauge-class-68/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2211262

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

It was a prompt Mick.... :boast:

I've just realised I've pre-ordered eight loco's in the last month or so...

Five 66's and three 68's...

And the 59's are still to be pre-ordered, I'm going to need a bigger layout  :O

Edited by martin_l_jones

Don't know how I ended up on the DRS shop website but they are advertising a 68001 model. No details if its Dapol it just says: "Coming Soon New Class 68001 Model! Might be new loco number 4 this year on top of 66434, 68002 & 68005! 

link

Cheers

Ali

Edited by Pegleg90

Don't know how I ended up on the DRS shop website but they are advertising a 68001 model. No details if its Dapol it just says: "Coming Soon New Class 68001 Model! Might be new loco number 4 this year on top of 66434, 68002 & 68005! 

link

Cheers

Ali

That looks to be a mock up of the real 68, so not the model, but looks like theyre bringing out 68001 in model form

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks to be a mock up of the real 68, so not the model, but looks like theyre bringing out 68001 in model form

NL

Yes, DRS have commissioned their own limited edition.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cool, thank you for the feed back, presume there not taking pre-orders yet! Lol

I think that makes seven listed for initial release.

001/002/005 in DRS,

006/7 in Scotrail and 010/014 in Chiltern (which are starting to acquire blue "Chiltern Railways" logos)

Cheers,

Mick

010/014 in Chiltern (which are starting to acquire blue "Chiltern Railways" logos)

Cheers,

Mick

68015 got those for the SVR gala, they are not a permanent feature, they should be taken off at some stage.

They are looking at something more permanent in the future, but as to when and what, it's still very much up in the air.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Just my point of view.

Yes we were supposed to see the DRS livery sample a few months ago but would you rather see a sample that isn't good enough, isn't what we want, isn't what Dapol want and for that to be printed onto the models and then them arrive in a poor condition and be paying £123 each.

Or alternatively we can wait a few months longer, wait for the DRS livery sample to be correct and to everyone's desire and then be paying for models that are finished to a high standard.

I think Dapol and all of us all agree that we want the 68s to be as good as possible and rushing them through the production process will just not achieve this.

The main point is patience is a virtue.

Yes we were supposed to see the DRS livery sample a few months ago but would you rather see a sample that isn't good enough, isn't what we want, isn't what Dapol want and for that to be printed onto the models and then them arrive in a poor condition and be paying £123 each.

I'll stress i've no "skin in the game" on these - but conversely it should be possible in this day and age for a media savvy company to show the samples (which lets folk know it's really happening and isn't vaporware) with the caveat that it is a pre-production version and that there are known changes that need to be made to it before the final production run is approved.

• RMweb Premium

Got lucky and had a very quick glance at the factory paint samples of the DRS and Scotrail versions the other day. They looked pretty good, but apparently require a bit of tweaking.

If it means a few more weeks to get it right, then that works for me.

Cheers,

Mick