Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Thanks Bogie, yes I too am NOT accustomed to this slow and steady approach, but it's paying off, I'm still breathing, hahaha. :O  :sungum:

I do hope to have many years of Life and Modelling ahead of me yet, but at the moment I certainly couldn't contemplate the work involved in stripping KM, and rebuilding something else, so it will stay as it is for some time yet.

Cheers.

Good Boy .....at last you are learning ....apart from that you seem to be enjoying KM excellent  :sungum:

• Like 2

Great days they were too Buddy. where did they all go ?, l had a Mars bar the other day and it was not as good as l remembered ...like everything l guess...

Mars 'not so good' probably because it is now smaller and the taste - lovely and smooth - does/did not last anywhere near as long.

Peter

Yes Guys, your probably right about the size, and the ingredients have probably changed over the intervening years since I last had one.

Good Boy .....at last you are learning ....apart from that you seem to be enjoying KM excellent  :sungum:

Cheers Martin, I'm awaiting a delivery from North Wales for Pen Y Bont, and once that arrives, I'm sure more work will re commence on Pen shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I have given Kings Thingy some thought. I know you like new projects but don't want all the hassle of dismantling KM. How about selling it with the shed, buyer comes along takes potting shed complete with train set and erects a new shed for you to start again? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hi Andy

I have given Kings Thingy some thought. I know you like new projects but don't want all the hassle of dismantling KM. How about selling it with the shed, buyer comes along takes potting shed complete with train set and erects a new shed for you to start again? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hahah. :O  :boast:  Not the best idea you've ever come up with mate, hahhah :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've read this thread from the beginning over the past few days and have to say, it's a better story than many novels I've read! I love the layout and along with Llanbourne and Waverly West it is providing me with plenty of inspiration for the development of my own mod eighties layout, Hafan Graig.

I've read this thread from the beginning over the past few days and have to say, it's a better story than many novels I've read! I love the layout and along with Llanbourne and Waverly West it is providing me with plenty of inspiration for the development of my own mod eighties layout, Hafan Graig.

Thanks Stevie, I'm sure you found it confusing at times, where I kept changing my mind, from a Yard to a Depot and eventually to just running through the Countryside, I have settled on the 80's Blue / Railfreight as that is what I remember from my first interest in Railways in 1977, aged 27. It probably took me  a few years to find out what each Loco was, and what various Coaches and Wagons did, so it was probably early 80's when I realised what I was actually looking at.

Glad you enjoyed it, and found it an inspiration, and good luck with your project.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Hi Brian and thanks.

As for Container Traffic, it would have been early Freightliner, and would have been mainly the Southampton to the North, i.e Trafford Park, Bescot, Washwood Heath, etc. Unfortunately I'm not sure which Freightliner Flats it would have been back in the 80's, and also the formations were very long, a lot longer than my Fiddle Yards, and so I'm sticking to Speedlink, and Railfreight for the shorter Trains.

Many years ago, Hornby made a bad representation of a Freightliner Flat and Loads, I've had them in the past, and the ran really bad.

This is what I would need to replicate were I to add Container Traffic to KM, (which is set just North of Oxford BTW, on the line to Banbury / Birmingham).

attachicon.gifpost-6971-0-51586200-1354129341.jpg

attachicon.gif16666736535_2666a10dbd_b.jpg

The container flats in use at the time were almost certainly the original FFA and FGA 60' flats. I worked at Banbury in the early 1980s, and recollect there being a 5-wagon Southampton- Lawley St working on Saturdays. It was quite often worked by a Class 33.

The container flats in use at the time were almost certainly the original FFA and FGA 60' flats. I worked at Banbury in the early 1980s, and recollect there being a 5-wagon Southampton- Lawley St working on Saturdays. It was quite often worked by a Class 33.

Thanks Brian, that's really helpful, as I didn't think I could get a full F/Liner in, but 5 and a 33 sounds very good. I just need to look out for some when I have some more pennies saved up. I have the 33's ready and waiting.

• Like 4

Thanks Stevie, I'm sure you found it confusing at times, where I kept changing my mind, from a Yard to a Depot and eventually to just running through the Countryside, I have settled on the 80's Blue / Railfreight as that is what I remember from my first interest in Railways in 1977, aged 27. It probably took me  a few years to find out what each Loco was, and what various Coaches and Wagons did, so it was probably early 80's when I realised what I was actually looking at.

Glad you enjoyed it, and found it an inspiration, and good luck with your project.

Odd us being the same age, yet I can't remember anything railways from the 1970's other than as the occasional means of transport and by the 1980's I spent most of my time at Loughboro' watching steam engines. Could be that my spare time was spent playing rugby, fishing and drinking and other associated shenanigans to notice oil burners going by lol.

Odd us being the same age, yet I can't remember anything railways from the 1970's other than as the occasional means of transport and by the 1980's I spent most of my time at Loughboro' watching steam engines. Could be that my spare time was spent playing rugby, fishing and drinking and other associated shenanigans to notice oil burners going by lol.

Funnily enough, despite growing up in the 1980's my interest is also steam - gained from frequent trips to the GC. Despite KM's lack of "proper" locomotives I still enjoy the photos and videos. The layout is another Andy Peters' masterpiece.

• RMweb Premium

Being a lot younger than Mr Peters my railway spotting days were before his, when diesels were in proper colours like green and maroon, but steam was dying in a part of the country I never had the money to go and visit. :locomotive: :locomotive: Did people really visit the north? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

• Like 4

Perhaps that’s because there was nothing railways wise worth remembering from the 1970’s and it should all be consigned to the same dustbin as flared trousers, Afro hairstyles and Austin Allegros.

I must have been very lucky discovering railways from a young age. I still ember the day aged about 6or 7 when I fell in love with steam , watching a PLA 0-4-0 saddle tank near Custom House station a short walk from wher I spent the first 8 years of my life. I was able to catch the last few years of the N7’s on the North Woolwich branch, then Liverpool Street and Kings Cross before a motor bike got me to the bitter end at Waterloo. Holidays in Market Rasen produced a variety of steam on holiday excursions to Cleethorpes and 4F 0-6-0s or WD 2-8-0s on freights to Grimsby. I was absolutely bereft when it all came to an end (and still am )

Sadly I never got to see Kings Moreton in steam days but it must have been a wonderful sight with those Halls Granges and Castles hammering through (hint, hint )but the blue diesels Mr Peters puts up are consoling in my grief. Keep’em coming Andy!

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 4

My FIRST sight of a Steam Engine that I can clearly remember, (although I have seen them from a distance going over Rochester Viaduct when I was about 4 or 5, and crossing the Road from the Dockyard at Portsmouth when I was about 10,) was in 1977 and a visit to the Mid Hants Railway, I remember seeing Bodmin, and was struck by it's quietness and grace.

Funnily enough, despite growing up in the 1980's my interest is also steam - gained from frequent trips to the GC. Despite KM's lack of "proper" locomotives I still enjoy the photos and videos. The layout is another Andy Peters' masterpiece.

Not to sure about Masterpiece mate, I still love the Steam Loco's and would go to a Steam Gala at the GCR in preference to a Diesel Gala any day of the week.

Being a lot younger than Mr Peters my railway spotting days were before his, when diesels were in proper colours like green and maroon, but steam was dying in a part of the country I never had the money to go and visit. :locomotive: :locomotive: Did people really visit the north? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

I went North from Portsmouth once, to Didcot, does that count?

Worse Clive some of us have emigrated waaaaaaaay up north lol

Me too, Born in Plymouth, then moved to Kent, then Surrey, then Hampshire, then back to Devon, back to Hampshire and then up NORTH to Swadlincote.

Oh I do miss the seaside, the smell of seaweed along the shore in Portsmouth Harbour, and the fresh Sea breeze.

Perhaps that’s because there was nothing railways wise worth remembering from the 1970’s and it should all be consigned to the same dustbin as flared trousers, Afro hairstyles and Austin Allegros.

I must have been very lucky discovering railways from a young age. I still ember the day aged about 6or 7 when I fell in love with steam , watching a PLA 0-4-0 saddle tank near Custom House station a short walk from wher I spent the first 8 years of my life. I was able to catch the last few years of the N7’s on the North Woolwich branch, then Liverpool Street and Kings Cross before a motor bike got me to the bitter end at Waterloo. Holidays in Market Rasen produced a variety of steam on holiday excursions to Cleethorpes and 4F 0-6-0s or WD 2-8-0s on freights to Grimsby. I was absolutely bereft when it all came to an end (and still am )

Sadly I never got to see Kings Moreton in steam days but it must have been a wonderful sight with those Halls Granges and Castles hammering through (hint, hint )but the blue diesels Mr Peters puts up are consoling in my grief. Keep’em coming Andy!

Oi you, now't wrong with Flares, and I had an Austin Allegro with the square steering wheel as a Demonstrator once. :no:  :no:

At 9 I was going to Heathrow and Plane Spotting. 

There are still some Videos of KM in Steam Days, and at least these two with Clun Castle.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Oh I do miss the seaside, the smell of seaweed along the shore in Portsmouth Harbour, and the fresh Sea breeze.

Are you sure it was seaweed you could smell Andy?  I could get you a bit from Arbroath and shove it in a jiffy bag lol.

I was born in the 1930s so steam was all we had in Leeds, apart from the rattley trams.

When I was very young, my dad took me for a walk one Sunday morning to Copley Hill, about a mile and a half away.

There, on the turn table was a silver engine, my dad read the name == Silver Link. It must have been almost brand new at the time.i

That makes me feel a very old bu@@@@.

Derek

• Like 5

I was born in the 1930s so steam was all we had in Leeds, apart from the rattley trams.

When I was very young, my dad took me for a walk one Sunday morning to Copley Hill, about a mile and a half away.

There, on the turn table was a silver engine, my dad read the name == Silver Link. It must have been almost brand new at the time.i

Derek

Getting a parent to walk a child a mile and a half now a days is a rarity, Parents bring their kids to School near us by car, from just half a mile away, especially if it's raining. :no:  :no:

You must have some great memories, Derek. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Getting a parent to walk a child a mile and a half now a days is a rarity, Parents bring their kids to School near us by car, from just half a mile away, especially if it's raining. :no:  :no:

You must have some great memories, Derek. :sungum:

Ah! Mr P, retired car sales person.

If said parents didn't buy a car to use it then where would your pension money come from?

Edit......there would be no class 25 for your big boy train set.

Just saying.....

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Ah! Mr P, retired car sales person.

If said parents didn't buy a car to use it then where would your pension money come from?

Edit......there would be no class 25 for you big boy train set.

Just saying.....

It was all the PPI's I sold mate, hahhaha. :nono:  :nono:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Derek

Ah yes, Silver Link. The second A4 I ever saw pulling up alongside Silver Fox one Sunday evening at Kings Cross. What a thrill that was at the time.

A very appropriate post, if I may say so, as today is the 80th anniversary of its class mate Mallard getting into the history books with its record breaking 126 mph. Incidently, for those that are interested there is a terrific book by Don Hale simply called "Mallard" that describes the whole background of events leading up to the run and the run itself.A great read.

Edited by jazzer

Another with Clun Castle.

http://youtu.be/RfiObM4zSGk

Great Stuff ! The bit liked best was the 4F, one of my favourite classes. I saw a lot of them mostly on coal trains/empties through Market Rasen and occasionally Bank Holiday excorsions from places like Nottingham to Cleethorpes. They also handled the Boat Trains from Tilbury Riverside to St. Pancras. Thing is I never remember them going all that fast, maybe 40mph tops ( maybe others can say different?). Possibly the reason is because of their relatively small 5ft 3in driving wheels combined with axle boxes that were a bit prone to failure, plus of course the lack of a leading pony truck or bogie for stability on curves.

Maybe the one in the video is deputising for a failed class 5 on the fitted refrigerated freight, hammering along to make up time but if you hang some coal empties behind it at 20/30 mph you have a more common prototype, and it will look great, although I wonder if others have different memories.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic but the first steam locomotive I remember, we had three rail electric locally, was a 'little tank engine' at Victoria in 1948 as I was whisked along the platform to catch the train to Whitstable so did not see the express head.  Dad later told me that the express needed a 'push' to get it moving smoothly out of the station.  Main spotting was on the pedestrian bridge out of Wimbledon and apart from the 10101 black clacking diesel the favourites were the Bullied Merchant Navy, Battle of Britain and West Country.  The 'Merton dasher' and the line to Crystal Palace etc.were only just visible but not possible to record.

• Like 1

Since we are in a reminiscent mood, when I worked at the power station in Leeds, I had to walk down a rough road, under the Leeds Bradford railway and after a further few hundred yards into the gatehouse where we ‘clocked in’. I had to start at 8.45. A local Bradford to Leeds passenger used to cross the road at 8.40, so if I was within about 20 yards of the railway when the train crossed over, I was in time. If I was any distance away, I had to run like hell.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 3