(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Despite me reservations in Jeff / Physicsmans Kirkby Luneside thread about the size of the Wills Point Rodding, I couldn't find anything smaller that looked O.K. so I have bought a pack to try, it may not be laid in a prototypical manner in some places but I just want a representation of some rodding.

I will update with some pics and a progress report tomorrow.

Hi Andy,

Good luck with the Wills point rodding, if you want a reminder of my experience with it you'll find it starts around here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1382621

You need the patience of a saint to put it together.

If I were doing it again I think I'd use a soldered brass wire system, not because of the looks, just prefer soldering, but don't let me put you off.

Ray.

The more I se of these layouts from Andy, he could almost (almost) make me go back to OO, but they wouldn't look as good so I'm better off sticking to where I am.

Brian.

I recon you'd do a cracking job in OO mate.

Hi Andy,

Good luck with the Wills point rodding, if you want a reminder of my experience with it you'll find it starts around here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1382621

You need the patience of a saint to put it together.

If I were doing it again I think I'd use a soldered brass wire system, not because of the looks, just prefer soldering, but don't let me put you off.

Ray.

Thanks Ray, I did put a link to that page on Jeff / Physicsman,  Kirkby Luneside thread when he asked if anyone had used it a week or so ago.

I will do my best, and thanks.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.  The track plan with the bay platforms and the splitting branchlines is similar to an idea that keeps entering my head for my next layout/development of the current one!  Not sure I quite have the spave to do it justice though.

Cheers

Jules

Another GWR/SR WR layout to follow. Looking  good so far Andy.

Regards Mark

Looking forward to seeing this progress.  The track plan with the bay platforms and the splitting branchlines is similar to an idea that keeps entering my head for my next layout/development of the current one!  Not sure I quite have the spave to do it justice though.

Cheers

Jules

Thanks Mark and Jules, I hope you enjoy the thread and the final Layout.

Less done than I'd hoped for today, so no pics I'm afraid. I did manage to make a loom from the Transformer to the Layout to feed the Points and the Gaugemaster Walkabout Controller, and also fitted a Din Plug onto the Controller.

Two Points wired in and working, and then a faulty Motor, (no solder tag for the Common feed) so I will use the last of the 4 I have until next Wednesday. 

More wiring tomorrow and I hope to get the right hand and centre boards finished so that will just leave the Station board to do once I have the other Motors.

A question for anyone who might know.

I'm imagining that that the distance from the Station / Signal Box to the Junction and it's related Signals is about half a Mile, so would the Junction have it's own box, like the one I had by the Level Crossing on Pencarne, or would it be controlled from Trewithen Box?

EDIT Today 10/03/17, 08.50. =  I've decided to put in a small 2nd Box at the Junction, as there will be the Junction Point and 3 Signals on view, maybe another the other side of the Road Bridge out of sight. I might still also add a Level Crossing there as well.

Edited by Andrew P

The Heaters on in the Old Potting Shed and so just time to finish my cuppa and make a start. Today I will add the wiring for the Signals etc and tidy up the Loom under the board. Progress is very slow, but steady.

This will be the Signal Box for the Junction.

post-9335-0-68892300-1489136209.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I do not know how you have the time to work on the layout and reply to everyone who posts.

BTW I am not expecting a response to this - just get on with the modelling and post some photos.

I do not know how you have the time to work on the layout and reply to everyone who posts.

BTW I am not expecting a response to this - just get on with the modelling and post some photos.

Stopped for Eleven's mate, Flip Flop on my knee, eating some nice coffee and walnut cake and a Latte'.

Best of luck Andy and make sure you ..... KEEP THE WIRING NEAT AND TIDY  :nono:

HAHHAHHA EHEEEEeeeee :no: hahhahhatahheheeeeeee :nono: heeeeeeee :rtfm:  heheeeee :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Fat chance, :blum: this is ME your talking to mate, Hot Glue Gun will be out soon.

Best of luck Andy and make sure you ..... KEEP THE WIRING NEAT AND TIDY  :nono:

HAHHAHHA EHEEEEeeeee :no: hahhahhatahheheeeeeee :nono: heeeeeeee :rtfm:  heheeeee :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Fat chance, :blum: this is ME your talking to mate, Hot Glue Gun will be out soon.

So the Mighty Bodgit has been doing some wiring,, here's the state of play at the moment.

Dumping Ground

post-9335-0-14291500-1489154944_thumb.jpg

The Controller.

post-9335-0-81862200-1489154991_thumb.jpg

The Transformer feeds. In the large cable are 2 x 16V AC feeds, one for the Points, and one for the Controller.

The other Black feed is a 12V for the Signals.

post-9335-0-00417500-1489155120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

Afternoon Andy

Well I can certainly tell I've been off the grid for a while. PDW's down on page 7 and you've started a new layout thread and are on page 6 before I even noticed. Looks superb mate. Pencarne with attitude. HaHa. Glad to see the pub is still of use on the new layout. I think I'm off tomorrow at the moment as the trains been cancelled so might get a bit done myself.

I've got a few more Skaledale buildings, if you want them, mostly of a rural flavour. I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow.

Cheers

Marcus

Is that a Henley Solon soldering iron?

Not a clue David, it was my Dads and I can remember him showing me how to Solder when I was about 14 or so, I'm now almost 67 and the Iron is still going strong and with the original Bit.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Afternoon Andy

Well I can certainly tell I've been off the grid for a while. PDW's down on page 7 and you've started a new layout thread and are on page 6 before I even noticed. Looks superb mate. Pencarne with attitude. HaHa. Glad to see the pub is still of use on the new layout. I think I'm off tomorrow at the moment as the trains been cancelled so might get a bit done myself.

I've got a few more Skaledale buildings, if you want them, mostly of a rural flavour. I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus, great to see you in here mate, I will use the Pub and the Cottage that you so kindly gave me for BV, that will be about the only Buildings on the Layout apart from around the Station area, the rest of the Layout will be Fields etc.

• RMweb Premium

Not a clue David, it was my Dads and I can remember him showing me how to Solder when I was about 14 or so, I'm now 67 and the Iron is still going strong and with the original Bit.

The correct vintage then, the same age as my Weller. Built to last in those days.

• Like 1

So the Mighty Bodgit has been doing some wiring,, here's the state of play at the moment.

Dumping Ground

attachicon.gifMessy wiring 001.JPG

The Controller.

attachicon.gifMessy wiring 002.JPG

The Transformer feeds. In the large cable are 2 x 16V AC feeds, one for the Points, and one for the Controller.

The other Black feed is a 12V for the Signals.

attachicon.gifMessy wiring 004.JPG

Great to see your progress on Trewithin.  May I make a small suggestion - the wiring in the lower pic on the baseboard edge looks a little vulnerable to me (if it were my shed I'm sure I'd lurch into it at somepoint).  Best protected somehow?

Can't wait to see you wave your scenic wand.

Regards,

Brian.