(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

How did you get to 3 pages before I spotted this?

Its looking good, and I'm guessing I'll be having to send milk from Helstonish, to a new destination.

Thanks for your response, on my thread, re station signs for station signs. But isn't it quaint these days to have to post them a form.

(Less so since I can't get my printer driver to load)!

All the best

TONY

• Like 3

Looking great. I'd be tempted to move the engine shed either to where the animal feed merchant is to reflect Kingsbridge or I'd even consider changing the point beyond and to the left (goods yard) side of the three-way, to a double slip. The extra line this would create running away from the station could enable you to mimic Lyme Regis (wrong coast I know) but it's still a thought.

I only suggest this as I feel the engine shed opposite the station might make the platform facade look a bit dark and cramped when I feel it's one of the key focal points of the design.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1

Looking good Andy. Has the feel of a Southern terminus - a bit like Bude maybe - and I like the distribution of the different freight sidings.

In that vein personally I'd keep the parcels bay, perhaps as a passenger bay too so you can have a train waiting to leave on one platform awaiting an arrival in the other from the other route. And have you thought about a loco depot siding/shed and coaling point for a train that sheds overnight?

Will enjoy watching how this layout progresses.

Southern?  SOUTHERN?  Not that I have any problem with the SR as I championed its cause with all my fellow trainspotters, but GW is GW! :protest:

Brian.

• Like 1

I have been too busy model making to keep up with the to-ing and thru-ing in the famous potting shed of Swad. Cor blimey you have been busy.

Did I read correctly it is DC controlled no extra C. That means no noise sound. :O

While on the subject of sound, Mrs M has gone vegan, to save me two lots of washing up I am eating the same food as she is cooking. This is having an effect on me. No need for sound fitted DMUs on my layout. I have perfected the brumm, brummmm, brummmm as a DMU changes gear accelerating from the station and not from my mouth.  :stinker:

Looking forward to seeing progress. :sungum:

Hi Mate, Yeah no Sound on Trewithen, wont be down wind of you at Nottingham then Clive. hahahha. :nono:  :nono:

How did you get to 3 pages before I spotted this?

Its looking good, and I'm guessing I'll be having to send milk from Helstonish, to a new destination.

Thanks for your response, on my thread, re station signs for station signs. But isn't it quaint these days to have to post them a form.

(Less so since I can't get my printer driver to load)!

All the best

TONY

Hi Tony, good to see you on here mate, I need to get some Signs for here soon.

Cheers mate.

Looking great. I'd be tempted to move the engine shed either to where the animal feed merchant is to reflect Kingsbridge or I'd even consider changing the point beyond and to the left (goods yard) side of the three-way, to a double slip. The extra line this would create running away from the station could enable you to mimic Lyme Regis (wrong coast I know) but it's still a thought.

I only suggest this as I feel the engine shed opposite the station might make the platform facade look a bit dark and cramped when I feel it's one of the key focal points of the design.

I'll have a look at that but  I'm not changing Points, Thanks for your ideas, always worth a look.

Thanks.

Like the change of heart on the locomotive shed Andy does add another dimension to the station, also in real life I'm fairly certain that a BLT on a junction would have had loco servicing facilities. Think you have a nice 'flow' to the track work now especially around the bay platform and dairy area ..... I sure you wizard scenery will really bring this to life  :superman:

Like the change of heart on the locomotive shed Andy does add another dimension to the station, also in real life I'm fairly certain that a BLT on a junction would have had loco servicing facilities. Think you have a nice 'flow' to the track work now especially around the bay platform and dairy area ..... I sure you wizard scenery will really bring this to life  :superman:

Hi Martin, Thanks, yes in the end the Engine Shed was a no Brainer, Trewithen just had to have one, unfortunately scenic's are still some way off, especially as I've been playing with Kingsford this evening as well.

Hello Andy l am George's mate Gary. Like your layout a lot

Hi Gary, goo to see you on here, DON'T be led astray by that George, he'll be sending you down the O Gauge route if your not careful, hahha.

Thanks for posting.

Andy.

That was funny reading your first post as it was the name that took me to this topic in the first place.........my fiancee currently works for Arla Foods and mentions Trewithen regularly........lol. I have admired your layouts for some time now and shall follow along with Kingsford and look forward to watching your remarkably quick progress :sungum:

Edit: Poor English

Edited by Iron Horse

That was funny reading your first post as it was the name that took me to this topic in the first place.........my fiancee currently works for Arla Foods and mentions Trewithen regularly........lol. I have admired your layouts for some time now and shall follow along with Kingsford and look forward to watching your remarkably quick progress :sungum:

Edit: Poor English

Hi Adrian, Thanks and welcome along for the ride / rides, I was in the Dairy at Ashby when Withenshaw was closed, it's a small world.

I was struggling for a name for the Layout and T was one on my short list, and then my two mates, Jeff /  Binny that came around for a running session on Kingsford last night and John Bottomly who both worked in the Transport dept at Arla said it was a good name so I went for it.

Edited by Andrew P

It's a cracking name Andy :sungum:

My fiancee Carolyn worked for Milk Link in Oswestry for years and even when Arla took over but she has been transferred now and is the site lead at the Malpas facility. It is a small world at times isn't it!!!!

• Like 1

Andy

I know I'm still playing catch up, but for inspiration, take a look at Fowey. The trackplan is very similar to yours.

But the real thing had clay trains to/from the docks which would have effectively been beyond your bufferstops.

All the best

• RMweb Premium

No room beyond my Buffers Tony, unless I put a hole in the Shed Wall :O and go off down the Drive. :no:  :no: .

I'll have a better idea once the Engine Shed arrives.

Yo Bodge,

In your opening post you mention that the line would be one engine in steam. Would it have had a little hut for the n-gin to sleep in at night? Or would it puff off back to the big loco depot at the junction?

With a loco shed I am scared you will end up with 3 or 4 locos hanging about the station area.

Yo Bodge,

In your opening post you mention that the line would be one engine in steam. Would it have had a little hut for the n-gin to sleep in at night? Or would it puff off back to the big loco depot at the junction?

With a loco shed I am scared you will end up with 3 or 4 locos hanging about the station area.

That was exactly my fear today when I started to look for a home for it, I put a Loco in the Shed position and then brought in a Passenger Service, then a Goods arrived and all of a sudden it all looked like Paddington.

I need a maximum of 2 Locos on show at any one time, and no more.

Also even a small Single Road Shed and Coaling Platform can take up a lot of room, and as Anglian quite rightly said, where I first had it opposite the end of the Platform blocked off a nice viewing point.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

A spare hour or so today and all I've done is to put at edging on the Bay and extend it a little, that's not a permanent Building, its just for some visual effect.

post-9335-0-58312600-1488832916_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-07640700-1488832939_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85780400-1488832963_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Modeling the bay with two platforms is a rarity. It sure brings back memories, there was one at Lewes (long since filled in) albeit a through road. It was always unusual if the train pulled in there to see passengers alighting from both sides of the carriage! Sometimes you could take the peak hour Eastbourne train down from Victoria and change at Lewes for Brighton, I seem to remember running over the foot bridge as that train would be waiting for the London arrival of which I was unaware as a teenager!!

Looks great Andy, you can't beat a bit of GWR branch line modeling.

Regards Shaun.  

• Like 2

Modeling the bay with two platforms is a rarity. It sure brings back memories, there was one at Lewes (long since filled in) albeit a through road. It was always unusual if the train pulled in there to see passengers alighting from both sides of the carriage! Sometimes you could take the peak hour Eastbourne train down from Victoria and change at Lewes for Brighton, I seem to remember running over the foot bridge as that train would be waiting for the London arrival of which I was unaware as a teenager!!

Looks great Andy, you can't beat a bit of GWR branch line modeling.

Regards Shaun.  

Thanks Shaun, It was Brinkly's picture of Kingsbridge in post 62 that gave me the idea. It looks like it'll work well.

More great pictures Andy.

Thanks Andy, I'm sorting out the Station area now and will probably have to lose the Engine Shed idea as I feel it spoils the ambience of the Station and Layout.

• Like 1