(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I've just found out that what I thought was a 14XX, is in fact a 48XX, No 4825, can anyone tell me what the difference is please?

The 1946 renumbering I believe.

Paul.

I can't say I liked the shed in the last location. Could you put it back towards the bridge somewhere?

I did try that as well Andy, but I'm hoping to put a short Halt between the junction and the Road Bridge on the GWR / Bodmin Line, and so again it became a view blocker and spoilt the Rural nature of that end of the Layout.

• RMweb Premium

That was exactly my fear today when I started to look for a home for it, I put a Loco in the Shed position and then brought in a Passenger Service, then a Goods arrived and all of a sudden it all looked like Paddington.

I need a maximum of 2 Locos on show at any one time, and no more.

Also even a small Single Road Shed and Coaling Platform can take up a lot of room, and as Anglian quite rightly said, where I first had it opposite the end of the Platform blocked off a nice viewing point.

Keeping it to a maximum of two locos sounds like a good idea, but for me at any rate the track layout is simply too extensive, implying quite a big town, to consider the line as only operating one loco in steam. A loco shunting the various sidings would take time and you could expect a passenger train to arrive/depart during that period. So being able to put the passenger into the bay to allow a goods train to be ran round and marshalled would I think be more prototypical - and I venture more fun.

Keeping it to a maximum of two locos sounds like a good idea, but for me at any rate the track layout is simply too extensive, implying quite a big town, to consider the line as only operating one loco in steam. A loco shunting the various sidings would take time and you could expect a passenger train to arrive/depart during that period. So being able to put the passenger into the bay to allow a goods train to be ran round and marshalled would I think be more prototypical - and I venture more fun.

Spot on Andrew, my though's exactly, I imagine Trewithen to be about the same size as Bodmin now. The original plan was for it to be much smaller, but it's grown and I'm pleased with the way it's developed gradually and realistically over the last couple of weeks.

Operation is the Key to enjoyment, and so with the advent of Two Locos instead of One and room to Shunt will really enhance it's enjoyment.

• Like 2

I've made a start this morning on the Lever Frame for the Points and Signals.

You will also notice that room has been left each side for the obligatory Coffee cup as well.

post-9335-0-25411800-1488897098_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49557200-1488897121_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I've made a start this morning on the Lever Frame for the Points and Signals.

You will also notice that room has been left each side for the obligatory Coffee cup as well.

Looks like there's room for a sticky bun too ! 

Coming on nicely, Andy !  I wish I could make such positive progress my end - all up in the air here at the mo - house move on the horizon !

Looks like there's room for a sticky bun too ! 

Coming on nicely, Andy !  I wish I could make such positive progress my end - all up in the air here at the mo - house move on the horizon !

Agh yes the proverbial Sticky Bun, one has to have one with coffee.

House moves are a nightmare at the best of times, we moved here in May 2014 and I had my Minor Stroke 3 weeks later with the build up of it all, so look after yourself mate.

Are you moving back to the UK / Mainland?

• RMweb Gold

I've just found out that what I thought was a 14XX, is in fact a 48XX, No 4825, can anyone tell me what the difference is please?

attachicon.gifEngine Shed and Loading Dock 019.JPG

They were 48xx for a lot longer than they were 14XX (excluding preservation era) so it is surprising that most enthusiasts think of them as 14xx.

And 58xx seem to be almost forgotten completely.

Agh yes the proverbial Sticky Bun, one has to have one with coffee.

House moves are a nightmare at the best of times, we moved here in May 2014 and I had my Minor Stroke 3 weeks later with the build up of it all, so look after yourself mate.

Are you moving back to the UK / Mainland?

Sticky buns are the meaning of life ! (Sticky buns and number 42 of course !)

Thanks Andy, always do my best to stay healthy ! House move is looking likely to be towards the end of the summer, we haven't even found anywhere to go as yet, still looking, but the missus has decreed that we will move this year ! I have put my order in though - minimum 30 foot hobby room ! We'll be staying on the island for the foreseeable future, as I can't retire for at least another 8 years yet, and that's assuming they will still let me go at 55 !

• RMweb Premium

Q: I've just found out that what I thought was a 14XX, is in fact a 48XX, No 4825, can anyone tell me what the difference is please?

A: 34XX

Q: I've just found out that what I thought was a 14XX, is in fact a 48XX, No 4825, can anyone tell me what the difference is please?

A: 34XX

Is that a Bra size? hahah

Anyway, back on Topic.

Although I'm out today I'll be picking up the Point Motors hopefully and that means I can get on and get them fitted and the Layout wired and tested over the next week or so.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul and Clive, that now makes a lot of sense, the GWR did have a funny numbering system.

All to do with the post-war oil burning experiments. The 48xx class was renumbered to 14xx to allow the oil burning 28xx class to be renumbered as 48xx.

• RMweb Gold

They were 48xx for a lot longer than they were 14XX (excluding preservation era) so it is surprising that most enthusiasts think of them as 14xx.

That's not strictly accurate except for quite a number of the class.  They first appeared in 1932 with the final batch appearing in 1936 and they were all renumbered in 1946 thus some carried 48XX numbers for 14 years while some only carried them for 10 years and in fact over half the class carried 48XX numbers for no longer than 12 years.   As the last were not withdrawn until 1964/65 some of them carried 14XX numbers for almost 19 years while only one of the final batch carried a 48XX number for longer than it carried its 14XX number.

And of course by far and away the greatest number of photos of them in everyday work were taken after they were renumbered so perhaps not surprising that they are generally referred to by their 1946 numbers.

Well Guys, I was hoping to pick up my Point Motors today, but only 4 out of the 9 I require arrived, still never mind, there are other jobs I can get on with over the next few days. I've picked up a New Controller today, the Gaugemaster W, Walkabout, so that can be wired in and also with the 4 Point Motors I have I can do the centre Board with the 3 way Point and the Junction Point and wire them into the Lever Frame.

Also the Highley Station Building has made a return, I had it originally, then thought it was to big for a small Branch, but now as the Station has grown, so have it's requirements, so with Trewithen being assumed to be the size of Bodmin I've reverted to the more substantial Building.

Also today the Highley Signal Box arrived so that will be better than re painting the Southern one that shows in the previous pics.

Despite me reservations in Jeff / Physicsmans Kirkby Luneside thread about the size of the Wills Point Rodding, I couldn't find anything smaller that looked O.K. so I have bought a pack to try, it may not be laid in a prototypical manner in some places but I just want a representation of some rodding.

I will update with some pics and a progress report tomorrow.

• Like 4