(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Is that a Henley Solon soldering iron?

Not a clue David, it was my Dads and I can remember him showing me how to Solder when I was about 14 or so, I'm now almost 67 and the Iron is still going strong and with the original Bit.

The correct vintage then, the same age as my Weller. Built to last in those days.

Your right, I've just been outside for a look and it is a Henley Solon, full marks, and yes built to last.

I had a new Maplins one that only lasted 3 Months, but I'd lost the receipt.

• Like 1

Great to see your progress on Trewithin.  May I make a small suggestion - the wiring in the lower pic on the baseboard edge looks a little vulnerable to me (if it were my shed I'm sure I'd lurch into it at somepoint).  Best protected somehow?

Can't wait to see you wave your scenic wand.

Regards,

Brian.

Nice idea Brian, I think I'll make a Plasticard cover for that.

I seem to recall that statement about eight layouts ago :jester:

SEVEN to be precise, but who's counting Mick? :nono:

This really probably is almost the last, well apart from Kingsford that is. :sungum:

Oh and then there's Beale St to finish off when these two are finished. :O

Oh yes then I do have another small board 6ft x 1ft, same size as West Shed was. :no:

Hahahhah :onthequiet:

• Like 1

Can someone help with some idea of the Point Rodding please?

I may MAY NOT follow it to the letter, but just some rough idea of which side of the Tracks it should run.

I assume the Yard will be Hand Levers.

post-9335-0-08176200-1489181771_thumb.png

Thanks.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

By no means an expert.

Shouldn't there be a trap point on the bay protecting the main platform and facing point locks there and at the junction. 

All else would be ground frame worked only when released from Trewithen box so extra runs to the ground frames  and possibly runs from them to the yard points. Wills do the ground frames too now I believe.

Where's Station Master Mike. Oh he might not know about all your latest projects some of us have trouble keeping up!!!! :sungum:  :sungum:

Regards Shaun  

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the missing trap point. With the box on the station, isn't most of it going to be tucked next to the platform and almost hidden?

I'd thought about it on my layout, but 100% would be going over a baseboard joint, I'm also thinking I'll spend the money elsewhere!

• Like 1

By no means an expert.

Shouldn't there be a trap point on the bay protecting the main platform and facing point locks there and at the junction. 

All else would be ground frame worked only when released from Trewithen box so extra runs to the ground frames  and possibly runs from them to the yard points. Wills do the ground frames too now I believe.

Where's Station Master Mike. Oh he might not know about all your latest projects some of us have trouble keeping up!!!! :sungum:  :sungum:

Regards Shaun  

I agree with the missing trap point. With the box on the station, isn't most of it going to be tucked next to the platform and almost hidden?

I'd thought about it on my layout, but 100% would be going over a baseboard joint, I'm also thinking I'll spend the money elsewhere!

Cheers Guys, Yes I did forget that Trap Point from the Bay / Dairy / Warehouse. The only rodding alongside the Platform will be the one for the Crossover I think, plus a cable for the crossover Ground Signal.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Can of worms time and there is probably more than one answer.

The junction box would almost certainly have a junction home signal - one arm for each "branch" - so you'd need a (signal) wire run for both arms.

Each facing point - or point that can be traversed in the facing (diverging) direction - is liable to need a second rod for the facing point lock.

The loco release crossover at the terminus could be worked by a local ground frame, released (probably electrically) from the signal box.

Any points between the bay and the single line would need to be controlled from the main box (or released therefrom and controlled by a ground frame). They're so close to the box that I think a ground frame would be unlikely.

The point at the end of the loop would probably be hand operated on the ground as the trap point is worked in conjunction with the point on the single line.

Again you would (probably?) have a home signal approaching the station with (signal) wires to that and there would be a number of other signals, mostly shunting, that would require (signal) wire runs and the requisite signals.

I think you said that you only plan to have a few signals. I'd be tempted to ignore the (signal) wire runs and just have token rod runs to points local to each signal box and you can sell it as such. Anything more and Miss Rivet Counter will be chasing you again.

Hope that helps. I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Andy

Can of worms time and there is probably more than one answer.

The junction box would almost certainly have a junction home signal - one arm for each "branch" - so you'd need a (signal) wire run for both arms.

Each facing point - or point that can be traversed in the facing (diverging) direction - is liable to need a second rod for the facing point lock.

The loco release crossover at the terminus could be worked by a local ground frame, released (probably electrically) from the signal box.

Any points between the bay and the single line would need to be controlled from the main box (or released therefrom and controlled by a ground frame). They're so close to the box that I think a ground frame would be unlikely.

The point at the end of the loop would probably be hand operated on the ground as the trap point is worked in conjunction with the point on the single line.

Again you would (probably?) have a home signal approaching the station with (signal) wires to that and there would be a number of other signals, mostly shunting, that would require (signal) wire runs and the requisite signals.

I think you said that you only plan to have a few signals. I'd be tempted to ignore the (signal) wire runs and just have token rod runs to points local to each signal box and you can sell it as such. Anything more and Miss Rivet Counter will be chasing you again.

Hope that helps. I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow Ray, Yes as you say; a can of worms indeed. I think I'll go back to basics and just do a few runs that look like I know what I'm doing. I like the idea of the Loco release crossover being manually worked, that of course is how it is at Totnes and Leicester North on the South Devon and Great Central Railways respectively.

As for the junction Signal, I've been thinking about that, and as no one actually make an electrically operated one yet, I may get a Hornby or Ratio one and work it manually.

The approach to Trewithen I think can have a Fixed Distant Signal.

I'm not sure about Electrical Point release in the 1930's though, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks Ray for taking the time to go to go through all the scenarios above.

Don't forget the compensators!

What the heck is that Ray?

• RMweb Premium

Point rodding compensators allow the rodding to expand and contract with the changes in temperature. Otherwise the points would change on their own.

Edit, they are normally placed as close as halfway between the box and the point as is practically possible.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Point rodding compensators allow the rodding to expand and contract with the changes in temperature. Otherwise the points would change on their own.

Edit, they are normally placed as close as halfway between the box and the point as is practically possible.

Thanks Clive, I expect there's some in the Kit.

Re looking at it, and if I did away with the run to the Loco release Crossover, then most Points would be fairly near to the Box and may not need them.

I've had problems this week with the Gaugemaster PM1 Point Motors on 2 out of the 4 I have the Common tag has come off as soon as you try to solder to it. now I've used these for about 10 years and on about 8 Layouts, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong. Also with this new batch the Pin is very loose in the actuating Bar, and flops about from side to side and doesn't seem so positive as in previous ones.

I'm currently experimenting with an adaption of the Peco Motor, and as the ones I have now have short pins due to a previous life, I know you can extend the pins, but I'm making a Hybrid Motor Mounting and Pin and will do some pic's later.

Another strange thing this morning, I tried a couple of Locos along the River Section, all was fine, except for one Pannier Tank that is Chip Fitted. Irrespective of which way the Controller was set, it would only run forwards, the chip will be coming out anyway as it will only be used on here, but it seemed most strange.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Re looking at it, and if I did away with the run to the Loco release Crossover, then most Points would be fairly near to the Box and may not need them.

Indeed. Sometimes they weren't needed with short runs that had ordinary cranks in them as those cranks could be so arranged to effectively reverse the throw to the extent that they overcame any expansion/contraction in the (longer) run between them. For example, lever to first crank "pushed" but crank arranged so that rod run from first crank to next crank "pulled" and the rod run from that second crank was again arranged so that it "pushed" to the turnout.

Indeed. Sometimes they weren't needed with short runs that had ordinary cranks in them as those cranks could be so arranged to effectively reverse the throw to the extent that they overcame any expansion/contraction in the (longer) run between them. For example, lever to first crank "pushed" but crank arranged so that rod run from first crank to next crank "pulled" and the rod run from that second crank was again arranged so that it "pushed" to the turnout.

Thanks Ray, I'll try and decipher that later,  :O  haha

I've decided that I'll go for Bodgit Rodding, :no:  I'll put it where it looks right, and and work out the cranks as I go, it may not be perfect or prototypical, but then neither is OO and electric driven Steam Locos.

BTW I did understand what your saying above. and thanks for your input.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I've had problems this week with the Gaugemaster PM1 Point Motors on 2 out of the 4 I have the Common tag has come off as soon as you try to solder to it. now I've used these for about 10 years and on about 8 Layouts, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong. Also with this new batch the Pin is very loose in the actuating Bar, and flops about from side to side and doesn't seem so positive as in previous ones.

I'm currently experimenting with an adaption of the Peco Motor, and as the ones I have now have short pins due to a previous life, I know you can extend the pins, but I'm making a Hybrid Motor Mounting and Pin and will do some pic's later.

Another strange thing this morning, I tried a couple of Locos along the River Section, all was fine, except for one Pannier Tank that is Chip Fitted. Irrespective of which way the Controller was set, it would only run forwards, the chip will be coming out anyway as it will only be used on here, but it seemed most strange.

Here's some pics showing the Peco Motor and Hybrid Mounting.

post-9335-0-10192000-1489239329_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42971000-1489239363_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45388300-1489239384_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65572900-1489239406_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52435900-1489239425_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thats the only place I required a compensator, the long run from the signal box to the crossover at the other end of the platform.

There should be a couple in the basic Wills kit.

Electrical gremlins drive me mad.  One day things are working perfectly, the next day not!  Why is that?  There's no sence to it sometimes.  Rant over.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Well I've made up all the remaining Point Motor adaptor plates this evening, and fitted the first Motor to board 1, (the Terminus Board) but all the switches are on Board 2, (the Centre / River Board), so I have 23 Cross Board Male / Female plug connectors to wire up. If I can get the rest of the Motors fitted and pick up the rest of the Micro Switches on Wednesday then all the wiring should be completed by next weekend.

The only thing I'm loathed to fit at this stage is the Dapol Signals as I know I'm likely to snag one.