Little Muddle

KNP

Will the horse make a bolt for the door? Or will the smith?

How's the horse going to hold the hammer when making the bolt.......oh sorry wrong type of bolt!

• Like 1

We're not considering some of the posts on A Nod to Brent, now, are we?

This one hasn't got to sausages and parsnips yet.

But, the slow downward spiral of post content has started to head that way! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

How's the horse going to hold the hammer when making the bolt.......oh sorry wrong type of bolt!

Actually Will got hammered last night and the horse did a little hoofing. It was Saturday night so not much happening today! Hay ho...

First signal I built for Little Muddle, using a Ratio kit.

The thought of building it was more daunting than the actual task, control rods and cranks fiddly though.

Very nice - working semaphore signals are an essential for any layout with steam locos. is there any metal in the Ratio kits or is it all plastic?

I think I have mentioned before on this forum a conversation I had at a show with a layout owner. He explained that one of the reasons he had chosen to model the line he had was because there were no signals. I retorted that I thought that would be a good reason not to model it.

Chaz

• Like 2

Very nice - working semaphore signals are an essential for any layout with steam locos. is there any metal in the Ratio kits or is it all plastic?

I think I have mentioned before on this forum a conversation I had at a show with a layout owner. He explained that one of the reasons he had chosen to model the line he had was because there were no signals. I retorted that I thought that would be a good reason not to model it.

Chaz

The signal is all plastic apart from the rodding which is thin rigid wire I got from a model airplane website.

They are static but one day I will get around to building working ones.....one day.......in the not to distant future....hopefully.......if all things are equal and I've run out of projects to do on Little Muddle!!!!!

Signals are part and parcel of a railway and it wasn't until I built the ones I have that the railway suddenly look correct and what had been missing.

Thanks for the comment.

Kevin

Great stuff! I do like your double track station :) point work stunning!

Thanks, just Peco code 75 track but with modified points where the spring housing was removed.

• Like 1

Thanks, just Peco code 75 track but with modified points where the spring housing was removed.

The work you have done to model the point rodding runs make so much difference to the look of your permanent way that "just" can't be allowed. Point rodding is often (usually?) omitted so when it is modelled as well as you have done it raises the realism quite a few notches.

Maybe we could see a close up of the points so that we can see how you have improved the details such as stretcher bars, FPLs etc?

Chaz

A few pictures of the points showing their alterations to try and make the code 75 point look more realistic. No spring but the SEEP PM1 has enough clout to hold the blade in position and to date I've had no problems.

What must be pointed out that the point rodding was done after the track was ballasted so I had to cut back the ballast to install. Extremely difficult and time consuming to carry out without damaging anything but as you can see and comment on was worth the effort.

Note - the long spindles to the signal wire pulleys have now been cut to size, this picture was taken whilst waiting for the glue to set.

post-8925-0-34619400-1492196397_thumb.jpg

708.JPG.978a2ae6f2859a66dc6df3a50f575ee1.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

Many thanks.

How are things going with your problem layout?

Now not a problem, :O  it went to the TIP. :no: It will be re started again one day, but at the moment I'm working on Kingsley Dale. and very much enjoying that.

Hi Kevin.

Astounding level of detail and craftsmanship and all in 10'x10'.

Regards Shaun, gob smacked in Oregon.

Many thanks.

It's taken a while but I'm getting there.

Kevin

Signal covering the entrance to Little Muddle just before the bend leading into the station.

Fixed distant covers the bend and warning of the station approach whilst the stop arm protects the station yard/platform.

Again a modified Ratio signal with a MSE ladder.

Since taking this picture I have added control wire posts to all signals, as seen in different pictures because I took them at different times in the process.......!!!!

Tear in backscene hasn't gone away?

563.JPG.f167a13a65a8ef223db804377da26deb.JPG

567.JPG.3b417eb76544499dbac6a59c9c36be41.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15