Little Muddle

KNP

It is from Scalescenes Aged Red Brick and when I first built it (4 years ago) I gave it a coat of Humbrol matt varnish which sort of reacted with the printer ink to give the hue you so now, it's one of things that happen and you're not exactly sure why.

Then the fading saga started and it has had at least 4 coats of the UV varnish to prevent it, or try to prevent it, fading which also dulled it down a bit more as well.

It will be one of those things that if I try to replicate it will be hit and miss.....

No relief as I use a wallpaper seam roller to apply all my brick papers to get it all flat and bubble free.

The relief you see is the design effect of the paper which why I'm a great fan of that range.

Model Railway Scenery have also come out with some good brick papers which I have used in the station area.

What about an art fixative spray on the brick paper after printing it?

Have you tried printing onto water colour artist paper. It gives a texture to the brickwork. Especially good for stonework.

Edited by lightengine

Unusual view of the main line signal box taken by resting (carefully) the camera on the track and angling slightly upwards.

Advice needed - do you think the signal box sign is to big?

I've been looking at various pictures and I think it does.

Very nice photograph and IMHO the nameboard is just fine.

Unusual view of the main line signal box taken by resting (carefully) the camera on the track and angling slightly upwards.

Advice needed - do you think the signal box sign is to big?

I've been looking at various pictures and I think it does.

It looks good. Lucky its not Llanfair................... Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Gold

Looks nice but sorry - the nameboard is definitely too big.

Alas I can't find dimensions anywhere (somebody must have them?) but the depth was just over 1 plank so probably about 8-9 inches at most and I think the letters were probably about 6 inches.  If you compare your nameboard with the one in the line below (scroll down to the pic of Coleford Junction Signal Box) you will see have it fits proportionately on a 'box of similar construction to yours.

The Coleford Junction plate (which might be a replica) is a longer name than your 'box but only goes over the breadth of the two centre locking room windows whereas yours goes over all four windows.

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/coleford_gwr_museum/coleford_gwr_museum_2010.htm

Looks nice but sorry - the nameboard is definitely too big.

Alas I can't find dimensions anywhere (somebody must have them?) but the depth was just over 1 plank so probably about 8-9 inches at most and I think the letters were probably about 6 inches.  If you compare your nameboard with the one in the line below (scroll down to the pic of Coleford Junction Signal Box) you will see have it fits proportionately on a 'box of similar construction to yours.

The Coleford Junction plate (which might be a replica) is a longer name than your 'box but only goes over the breadth of the two centre locking room windows whereas yours goes over all four windows.

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/coleford_gwr_museum/coleford_gwr_museum_2010.htm

I tend to agree with you.

Though the model planks scale 6 inches and the sign just over 9 inches the proportions look all wrong.

The sign came from Sankey Scenics and was applied straight from the bag - so to speak.

Looking through my GW Architecture book (Adrian Vaughan) I can find no reference to sign sizes but looking at the pictures and the brick courses they look about 9 inches high.

But it still looks wrong.

For my other signal box at Little Muddle I had Scale Model Scenery make me some signs and as you can see in the picture it looks right (planks the same size)

Justin also made me one for the other box and as the other picture shows you can see the difference.

Before plucking up courage to remove, as the planks are postcard and the sign fixed with Roket glue, I will carry on checking it out.

Thanks for the reply.

post-8925-0-68891300-1491236638_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-23443700-1491236644_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I tend to agree with you.

Though the model planks scale 6 inches and the sign just over 9 inches the proportions look all wrong.

The sign came from Sankey Scenics and was applied straight from the bag - so to speak.

Looking through my GW Architecture book (Adrian Vaughan) I can find no reference to sign sizes but looking at the pictures and the brick courses they look about 9 inches high.

But it still looks wrong.

For my other signal box at Little Muddle I had Scale Model Scenery make me some signs and as you can see in the picture it looks right (planks the same size)

Justin also made me one for the other box and as the other picture shows you can see the difference.

Before plucking up courage to remove, as the planks are postcard and the sign fixed with Roket glue, I will carry on checking it out.

Thanks for the reply.

That one is much better - definitely looks right.  Hoping you can safely remove the existing one.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, Kevin, I would leave it as is. It may not sit well as you are aware of the error but does the need for accuracy outweigh the possible damage in removing the existing signage.

It's a lovely model as is maybe it's best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Rob.

To be honest, Kevin, I would leave it as is. It may not sit well as you are aware of the error but does the need for accuracy outweigh the possible damage in removing the existing signage.

Rob.

I agree, I once spent hours making a model of the parcels shed at Shillingstone (pre Bachmann) wasn't happy with the sign and ruined all my efforts by trying to replace it :(

• RMweb Premium

Rob.

Each to their own, but for me the existing sign spoils a lovely model. I would try to replace it.

I might try painting the exisitng sign the same colour as the planks so to make it look like a backing plank. Fix the new sign on that and see what it looks like!

Or I might just leave it alone and take up knitting......problem solved.

Edited by KNP

If you've seen Diesels in the Duchy, their idea is to plant lots of trees in front of the box, making it virtually invisible.

Very helpful!!!, would that be so the signalman could keep an eye on the branch line?

• Like 2

If the signal box name worries you then change it. You're in charge - it's your railway. On the other hand what other compromises have you made? How far apart are your rails?

One approach is to make a (possibly mental :sarcastichand: ) list of the things that need doing, put the nameboard in the list (with an eye on priorities) and change it when you've done the things above it. There are some wagons on my 7mm layout (Dock Green) which have incorrect brake gear - they are currently job #2358....

• Like 3

Some things rest more easily on the eye than others. To myself and several others the signal box sign was ok. To SM it was slightly large. I wouldn't pick up on the slight difference in the fourfoot or sixfoot but I noticed the downpipe.

Overall the quality outweighs the small blemishes.

Maybe a scenario could be staged near the box. 2 workmen and a lookout, are about to replace the signalbox signage.

I wonder if any modellers replicate railways correctly? Build the scenic part first and then construct the trackwork onto it. Dynamiting polystyrene, chicken wire, plaster rocks etc to lay a track bed.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 2

Is that George Rouncewell reading the Racing Post on the platform. He can usually be found outside Auld's corner store on ANTB.

Do you know what they do look similar perhaps it his doppelganger?

(I'm getting the hang of this now, straight to search engine and page 11........)

Thanks