Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Anybody lost an umbrella?

Whilst the porter was tidying up Encombe Station bay platform he found it leaning against a crate that was waiting for collection........!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_3131.JPG

No name or details found in it so it will go into lost property for now until the owner turns up looking for it.

If you think you know who it belongs to I'm quite happy to pass on any message to the Station Master.

Mr Warburton. He waits patiently on the down platform on ANTB and might have mislaid it. ;) 

It's been raining all day today, so I think it's mine if its Black!!!!! :no:  :no:

No.....I don't think so Andy because it's dry and still furled up, looks new and freshly painted to me.

Mr Warburton. He waits patiently on the down platform on ANTB and might have mislaid it. ;)

You sure, isn't that him on the other platform? or at least his spitting image?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anybody lost an umbrella?

Whilst the porter was tidying up Encombe Station bay platform he found it leaning against a crate that was waiting for collection........!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_3131.JPG

No name or details found in it so it will go into lost property for now until the owner turns up looking for it.

If you think you know who it belongs to I'm quite happy to pass on any message to the Station Master.

Doesn't it belong to the City Gent from post 757?

Thought  you were going to say; It never Rains in Portland. hahhah

If only, rain can be horizontal here and as Portland stone is porous a lot of the houses get damp on the south west corner when the rain is prolonged. You can't cover the stone with render as that makes things worse because Portland stone needs to 'breathe.' It is true, we really don't use umbrellas.

Still a great place to live.

• Like 3

Doesn't it belong to the City Gent from post 757?

Nah, I thought so to, so I asked but he sort of looked down his nose and said 'Are you being serious, that make.....'

So I left it at that......

I might be still waiting for my Modelu train crews to arrive but at least I have something that has a boiler and steams now fully crewed.

The traction engine - Titan, now has a Dart Castings set painted and in place.

Here I have left the roof of so they can be seen

952.JPG.1237ce2a94081413684d061322e2b422.JPG

But they disappear with the roof on!

953.JPG.dd3417666ab73ccb08e334b5dca02a36.JPG

Engine now fully weathered and worn from constant use.

The idea behind the crews pose is they are waiting in the goods yard for the next job.....

A quick couple of pictures using the I-phone hence no depth of field.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
An area of Encombe Station not often photographed as it's a bit of a pain to set the camera up on the mini tripod without knocking anything over.

Excellent details on the flat roof of the parcels outbuilding- it really looks as though its watertight with proper flashing!

An area of Encombe Station not often photographed as it's a bit of a pain to set the camera up on the mini tripod without knocking anything over.

Excellent details on the flat roof of the parcels outbuilding- it really looks as though its watertight with proper flashing!

Thanks

Everyone of my buildings has some form of flashing detail built in, being a retired building surveyor it's one of 'my things' in that - to me- they don't look right if not correctly weathered or able to function in inclement weather.

Zoom in (or click the picture to enlarge) on the chimneys and they have stepped flashings, also where the station roof abuts the shop building the same thing, valley gutter where the canopy joins the station building wall etc.

The flat roof over the parcel/ gents toilet is meant to be leadwork with weather rolls at the joints....

Just one of my things......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

I have found a much earlier picture taken with the 5S so the DOF is not great in this close up but it does show the flat roof to the parcels/toilet building to better effect.

441a.jpg.ad1a98ac15b6d0355859d6c6b2ecd7fa.jpg

All my lead flashing detailing is hand painted on using Vallejo paints mainly being white, various shades of grey and gunmetal.

Work the paint whilst still wet to get a dispersed and graded colour effect, only new lead is shiny and metallic looking, old lead can look whitish, dirty looking and dull.

Flat roof is grey card cut smaller than the main roof itself to give a visual affect of a gutter around the perimeter, lead roll work is micro rod and painted as mentioned above.

Skylight is a Ratio kit, copings are Wills ridge tiles!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

On 06/08/2017 at 17:13, mullie said:

Looks superb, what do you use for drainpipes?

Martyn

Thanks.

Homemade using a patented technique that was developed in the Little Muddle Technical College many years ago ....

Basically plastic micro rod, normally 0.7m in diameter, print paper (yep....that's correct - it's more pliable than plastic and holds it's shape better) cut into 1mm strips and bent around the rod, glued with Rocket (as it goes off quick), trimmed level with back and then a backing strip added (trimmed to length) so the completed pipe can be fixed to the wall like a real one.

IMG_2765.JPG.2c69dbccedd4c79b71fa9fc4d3b00343.JPG

Typical set of downpipes, looks fiddly but not once you develop a technique.....took me about 15mins to knock those up from a standing start. Bending the swanneck is the time consuming bit to get right.

Edited - rod diameter 

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hold the front page....

Major announcement

No longer will the locomotive fleet of Little Muddle be seen ambling around the track with no crew.

In todays post they have arrived from Modelu

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Boys and girls.

and honoured guests

please meet the motive power crews for the steam fleet (all three of them!!!!!) 

IMG_3147.JPG.5c6c6d43b7afb908bb2804d9b879b559.JPG

Now I want to pick some brains.....

I understand that when the 48xx and autocoach were driving loco first both the driver and fireman resided in the cab but when driven from the coach the driver moved to this end and they communicated between each other via the bell, whistles and hand signals plus local knowledge.

My idea is to have a crew of three, two in the loco and one seated in the autocoach cab - might not be prototypical but al least when photographed both ends would be occupied!!!

The questions -

Was this ever done for real?

What is the best colour to paint the overalls in the 1930's period?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5