Little Muddle

KNP

Simply stunning pics Kevin, your stacking system works so well to get such superb images and depth of field.

Many thanks, I seem to be getting the hang of this type of picture now and one of the answers appears to be using the diffused lighting rig to help the camera with exposure settings.

To be honest, it wasn't till after the photoshoot when Andy Y sent me a video of a chap demonstrating what could be done with the post focus mode of the TZ100 camera, that I realised how it could be used for this type of picture.

How are things going?

• Like 1

Sometimes a picture lends itself to reliving one of the funniest moments on TV.............

Bert and Charlie overheard whilst chatting outside the coal office

965-caption.jpg.10c85193a69d3a7915bd17881c6cc08c.jpg

Classic

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

Many thanks, I seem to be getting the hang of this type of picture now and one of the answers appears to be using the diffused lighting rig to help the camera with exposure settings.

To be honest, it wasn't till after the photoshoot when Andy Y sent me a video of a chap demonstrating what could be done with the post focus mode of the TZ100 camera, that I realised how it could be used for this type of picture.

How are things going?

Morning Kevin, as you've seen things have moved on, and I'm in there today to do some more hopefully.

I've just found out that my little Canon camera is Wi Fi, so I may have a look at using that at some stage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The newly planted industrial buildings look as though they have been there for years- we've forgotten the green fields already! Splendid work! I think you have caught out the focus stacking with the pole in the foreground. Can we expect a reliant van?

The beauty of playing with focus stacking is that you can get a picture that wouldn't necessarily be possible without it.

Here I have a close up of the Little Muddle engine shed early one morning with the Pannier getting ready for the days work whilst in the background the autocoach is clearing the viaduct with the first train of the day.

attachicon.gif968 - smoke.jpg

I must say 4825 seems to be moving at speed across the viaduct, must be late or the driver needs his breakfast!!!

The picture has been checked so hopefully no more see through posts........seems to happen when the object is close to the camera!

Paints have arrived, so loco crews being painted then I need to work out how to fit them without damaging them!!

The 4825 can't be moving, you're photo focus stacking! so is the smoke trail an artifact?

Clever all the same

Edited by BWsTrains

The 4825 can't be moving, you're photo focus stacking! so is the smoke trail an artifact?

Clever all the same

Ah...but it's just a fleeting moment in time captured by the camera.

Smoke false no, it was supplied by Serif?

Thanks

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Normally when I take some pictures I will  take a group of them and select my favorites but when doing the same for the 4550 station shot I ended up with most of them coming out OK.

So rather than leave them stored on the computer here they are.

attachicon.gif958 - smoke.jpg

attachicon.gif959 - smoke.jpg

attachicon.gif962 - smoke.jpg

The next one shows why I such a great fan of sagebrush armatures, I know they are expensive to obtain but if you look at the detail on the trunk, this is 'straight out the box' with no work needed apart from trimming the branches to a suitable shape.

(Click on the picture to enlarge and you'll see the detail better)

attachicon.gif960.jpg

This last picture also shows the beauty of using a focus stacking program.

As I have said before the program on my camera is called Post Focus and takes a very short MP4 video sequence focusing from macro to infinity.

I now run it through a program called MPC-HC x64 which allows you to play the sequence on the computer (instead of on the camera which I find awkward to use because of my big fingers and small buttons) and save in individual steps through the focusing range.

These are then run through the focus merge program of Serif Affinity to give a focused picture from front to back, time consuming - yes as for example the last picture was made up of 74 individual focused steps and took about 15-20 minutes from start to finish plus I then save the picture twice, first in the Affinity program and then export to JPEG so it can be seen on this website.  

Must get the crew added and now some etched numbers fitted as well, plus get around to fitting the accessories that are still in the box!!!!!!

Stunning photos, especially when the enlarged version is viewed, who doesn't like a small Prairie tank?

It would be a travesty if Little Muddle doesn't feature very highly in the next RMWeb Top Layout as voted by the readers type thing. If it doesn't I will surely be selecting an item of headwear for afternoon tea!

• Like 3

Fabulous picture! I think the autocoach can be pulled faster now it's wind resistance is reduced thanks to the new flush glazing!

Thanks.

At least the passengers and all their belongings don't get sucked out the window now when going at speed.............!!!!

Crew are ready, will now leave to dry overnight and then add to loco's and autocoach.

971.JPG.75d26e51465e4c726e5c5d3e184fe9d9.JPG

These Modelu figures are lovely to paint, plenty of relief that you can get washes and powders to highlight.

I suspect most of this will be lost in the cab except for the chap sitting down, he's destined for the autocoach so will be the most visible.

Poses and detailing exquisite, most definitely getting more from this range in due course.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

This is one of my favourite shots of the layout and brings me on to my question.

I'm modifying part of Barkham Green and this will involve putting in more wire fencing, unfortunately its a while since I last fitted some, would be interested to know what method you used

Thanks and Sorry

I have just spotted your unanswered post and that you asked a question, most rude of me not to respond.

Will send you a PM next week when I get back from visiting friends 'up north' regarding the fence.

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Premium

Painting of figures that end up in cabs and largely hidden from sight raises the same sort of dilemma faced by newsreaders who sit behind news desks - namely should they bother wearing pants?

Two schools of thought apparently.

• RMweb Gold

Painting of figures that end up in cabs and largely hidden from sight raises the same sort of dilemma faced by newsreaders who sit behind news desks - namely should they bother wearing pants?

post-7025-0-29653500-1503048631.jpg

• Like 6

Hmmmm

Yes....I see what you mean.

One of those deep physiological questions that can lead to heated discussions about the for and against merits that will rage on for generations to come.

I myself, approach this with an open mind and it would be just my luck that if I wasn't wearing any then I would end up with a glass topped table with no front......

As Little Muddle is set in the UK, whether the loco crew are wearing pants is surely an issue only of concern to themselves and their wives. It seems a bit pointless to me to paint their underwear, then cover it up by painting their trousers :).

As Little Muddle is set in the UK, whether the loco crew are wearing pants is surely an issue only of concern to themselves and their wives. It seems a bit pointless to me to paint their underwear, then cover it up by painting their trousers :).

I see, well

For example, all my loco crew are wearing string vests and underpants otherwise the overalls will chafe, I accept they are very difficult to paint but I feel it's well worth the effort for the crews wellbeing, then to complete the effect the overalls are painted over the top to complete the appearance.

As I said all this is in search of realism....!!!!???

:no: :jester:   :no:

Edit

To save any further confusion of the dress code for a GWR loco crew individual I have added the word under to pants?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I propose the English term 'trousers' for the avoidance of ambiguity! Your colour rendition on the work clothes is very realistic- as is the wood plank!

but are they then still wearing underPANTS to give them their full name!!

It does seem to be the trees that are getting the most comments.

I have spent years trying to achieve something that I was happy with, the tree in question was pre-prime trees (sagebrush armature versions which I got into last year) and was made by combining three good Seamoss trunks together to form one. I found you would buy a 'forest in a box' and out of that get an average 3 or 4 good trees therefore wasting a lot and it wasn't until I started cutting them into smaller sprigs for fixing to the prime trees did they become useful : advise - never through anything away as one day you'll find a use for it. I then clumped the foliage for this tree by dunking the tree into a tray of blended flock rather than sprinkle it on.

Have a go and you will see you can different distinct types

As a comparison here is one of the prime trees with a light thrown onto it to make it stand out. What I like about the sagebrush is that it looks like a tree trunk straight from the bag and also when finished you can see right through it.

Fiddly yes, time to build this tree around 2hrs with the larger 40 footer (scale of course!!!!) about 4hrs and to think I have now made 30+ of them..........with more planned

Kevin,

What is your mix of "flock" used on these superb trees?

What's called Flock differs widely by supplier, variously I've seen fine foamy materials (Noch) static grasses (WS) and wood based materials.

Edited by BWsTrains

Kevin,

What is your mix of "flock" used on these superb trees?

What's called Flock differs widely by supplier, variously I've seen fine foamy materials (Noch) static grasses (WS) and wood based materials.

Here's the main colour I use along with the 'adhesive' I use......

post-8925-0-22481200-1503302218_thumb.jpg

I also use this on the static grass as well either spraying patches over the top and sprinkling on to get a weed/flower effect or I sprinkle on dry, rub into the grass and then spray to fix.

Agreed about the name as I can sometimes refer to it by different titles.......so that is why I have posted a picture of the bag to save any identification issues!!!!

I do use others in the range to get a colour variation but this is the main one.

Thanks

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1