CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

That 47xx looks very nice, Larry.  Is it me or is "Night Owl" a post Beeching nick name?  When we were young we were lucky to see one before bed time so had no need for a nick name.

Paul

I never heard them called Night Owls until this model was announced. The Heljan 2-8-0 is a superb model, although I must make new support struts. I had it in mind to paint it in BR lined green, but I will run it a while first. For some reason, I associate them with hauling summer passenger trains.

Edited by coachmann

I never heard them called Night Owls until this model was announced. The Heljan 2-8-0 is a superb model, although I must make new support struts. I had it in mind to paint it in BR lined green, but I will run it a while first. For some reason, I associate them with hauling summer passenger trains.

I was talking to someone earlier today who is a GWR fan about the excellent quality of the Night Owl models and he said that while 2-8-0s were originally designed for hauling freight during the night their performance proved so good that they were frequently used for hauling passenger stock particularly during the summer months.

Yes, the 47xx class was designed for overnight fitted freight, but at weekends they were used for weekend specials. Typically the class were divided between 81A, 83A and 84A. I did see one at Stafford Road resting but generally they were elusive on the London Wolverhampton line.

Since Beeching we have had all sorts of inventions, such as Duchesses for Princess Coronations (or my preference, Semis). Flying Pigs and Mickey Mouses were not in my vocabulary at all.

A nice looking, hard working locomotive. Too bad it never got to Penmaenpool!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Not easy to catch a 47xx on the Paddington - Wolverhampton line as there were only a couple of normal workings. At one time there was one off Birkenhead probably for 'The Meat' to Paddington. One was allocated to Oxley (not Stafford Road) for the overnight Class D to Paddington. 

Outbased ones for the West of England services were at St Philips Marsh and Laira. 

The only one I saw in action during daylight hours was at Exeter St Davids on a Down passenger on a summer Saturday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The field bordering the down platform was grassed again this afternoon after an ash cess was put beside the new section of track. The point control tubing is quite well hidden. I have been in two minds about the Provender store acting as a goods shed, hence its disappearance....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 46.jpg

The field needs some character adding and cattle.......

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 44.jpg

The point levers are not too conspicuous, but they are mighty handy and, for me, preferable to point motors and wiring. I intend using Mercontrol to control the signals. They will be lowered slowly and even given a 'bounce'....! A trick of the light makes the entrance to the down loop look distinctly kinky, but I can assure you it ain't....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 45.jpg

How about putting some bushes round the point levers?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not easy to catch a 47xx on the Paddington - Wolverhampton line as there were only a couple of normal workings. At one time there was one off Birkenhead probably for 'The Meat' to Paddington. One was allocated to Oxley (not Stafford Road) for the overnight Class D to Paddington. 

Outbased ones for the West of England services were at St Philips Marsh and Laira. 

The only one I saw in action during daylight hours was at Exeter St Davids on a Down passenger on a summer Saturday.

I never saw a 47xx running but we did see them at Chester West shed.

I never saw a 47xx running but we did see them at Chester West shed.

That is good news Mike. Lots of things happened on BR that were never recorded in the enthusiast magazines. Seeing as my fake history is the Llangollen line was upgraded to red restriction as early as WW2 (as far as Corwen), a 4700 will undoubtedly be found passing my version of Carrog hauling summat or other ... :boast:

• Like 2

Proof that the track into the Down loop is smoother than it appears in last nights post. The point is on the same camber as the Up line, which sends the down loop 'downwards', so the beginning of the loop effectively cambers the wrong way. This usually entails a speed restriction on the prototype, something I first came across when modelling Greenfield Junction. Conversely, the track into the yard is going upwards until it levels off with no camber whatsoever. The groundwork for all this is prepared using cork sheet and an electric sander.....

post-6680-0-40364000-1529658848.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That is good news Mike. Lots of things happened on BR that were never recorded in the enthusiast magazines. Seeing as my fake history is the Llangollen line was upgraded to red restriction as early as WW2 (as far as Corwen), a 4700 will undoubtedly be found passing my version of Carrog hauling summat or other ... :boast:

Most of the OOC allocation seem to have visited Birkenhead shed during the 1950s/60s, so in your parallel world Chester pinching one for an excursion or summer relief could be quite possible. There's even a picture on the net of 4701 standing LE in the back platform at Lapworth c1961 carrying a Class B headlamp, so seems that anything goes.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

Proof that the track into the Down loop is smoother than it appears in last nights post. The point is on the same camber as the Up line, which sends the down loop 'downwards', so the beginning of the loop effectively cambers the wrong way. This usually entails a speed restriction on the prototype, something I first came across when modelling Greenfield Junction. Conversely, the track into the yard is going upwards until it levels off with no camber whatsoever. The groundwork for all this is prepared using cork sheet and an electric sander.....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 47.jpg

The field on the right started off the same green as the new vinyl grass on the left, but has clearly lost its colour due to UV.

Curtains or Blinds Larry, otherwise you'll lose your backscene as well.

Looks nice now though.

• Like 1

Surprised that there was hardly anyone around on the westbound platform to witness the event.

Most males would be in work or in school in those days, on top of which the railway was taken for granted. Fortunately, Ivor Tripehod was a partner at Corwen Lubrication and was able to slip out...

Well after seeing this in the flesh yesterday, this layout is stunning, not overcrowded and has a wonderfully open 'run in' across the fields from Llangollen.

I'm also impressed with the 4mm bullhead track, for looks, at least, it is far better than the previous offerings from Peco.

Coachman's stock, again is very very good, nicely weathered and purposeful looking.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

Well after seeing this in the flesh yesterday, this layout is stunning, not overcrowded and has a wonderfully open 'run in' across the fields from Llangollen.

I'm also impressed with the 4mm bullhead track, for looks, at least, it is far better than the previous offerings from Peco.

Coachman's stock, again is very very good, nicely weathered and purposeful looking.

Jinty ;)

Very kind of you to say so David. The boundary fencing was put up after you left, but it looks like new holes will have to be drilled for the telegraph poles.  The trusty Dean Goods is running into the Up platform with an all-stations from Wrexham to Bala Junction...

post-6680-0-74081300-1529751915_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

While I am well pleased wit the appearance of Peco bullhead points, there is a weakness if using Peco rail joiners.  The usual routine when fitting Peco Code 75 rail-joiners is to remove the last railfixing or 'chair'. Doing this has never affected Peco Streamline Code 75 and 100 points because the web on flat bottom rail holds it securely in place. However, bullhead rail by its nature is not held half as securely in plastic chairs, something those of us who have used plastic based bullhead flexible track have been aware of for years. Bullhead used in soldered points is a different kettle of fish obviously.

What I found was removal of the last chair left both ends of the Peco bullhead points weak. Knowing this, I always took care when joining the points to track. However, on four separate occasions things have gone badly wrong at the frog end when the short length of rail had lifted from the base. Last week, this rail and the rail end of an adjacent  point sprang free during laying. A metal rail joiner has held them together but passage over the point frog leaves something to be desired.

Seeing as track is the bedrock of any rail system, I go to a lot of trouble when laying a cork base and producing camber on curves, so it is disappointing (to say the least) to end up with track that does not give my trains a smooth passage. The points below have had the end chairs removed with a fine saw rather than a knife....

post-6680-0-43684200-1529754343.jpg

post-6680-0-15307800-1529754345.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hate to say it but I don't think you are meant to trim the chairs off. The smaller Peco BH joiners fit between the sleepers as with prototype track. There is a thread here about the new track, and a debate over rail joiners!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134764-practical-peco-bullhead-trackwork/

Perhaps you could use the new joiners and glue (cryno probably) some half chairs around the rails where you have removed them to add back a bit of strength.

Izzy

And then there were two.....Lucky lerky me! There's been a welcome in the hillside and the Eisteddfod traffic has been really heavy. A Marples bloke in the big house has complained that passengers should be on the roads!  The leading loco had been to Corwen for servicing and so was attached to this ECS train returning to Llangollen to save pathing a light engine......

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 4.jpg

4704 and 4706 waiting for the single line token. Fortunately, photographer Ivor Tripehod was on hand to record the event. We think 4704 was in undercoat....

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 5.jpg

With those two running through the station you'll need to nail everything down !  :jester:

Rumble

• Like 1

After visiting the fantastic Hunslet 100 gala at Portmadoc in 1993, the Hunslet 125 was a pale shadow.  So this afternoon I did a bit of modelling on the Heljan 47XX's.

The smokebox door doesn't capture the GWR appearance due to the absence of a recess around the door. The recess is clearly seen on the Hornby Grange...

post-6680-0-82349100-1529781798.jpg

I ran the point of a dart around the door then widened the groove slight with a different dart head.  I don't think it is really worth it and i would replace the whole front if  I could find a casting. Note the new struts.....

post-6680-0-17907800-1529781800.jpg

post-6680-0-08651800-1529782104.jpg

Things kept falling off while handling this heavy loco & Tender. One was the cab handrail. This was a peice of wire glued to the cabside....I mean how silly is that?  If there is to be no daylight behind it, it might as well have been moulded on. I glued the wire back with Loctite...

post-6680-0-89720100-1529782384.jpg

After finishing the black loco, the green one followed suit. It has new 12.5mm pony truck wheels.  Driving wheel centres, tyres and copper pipework have been blackened...

post-6680-0-16752500-1529782420_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

After visiting the fantastic Hunslet 100 gala at Portmadoc in 1993, the Hunslet 125 was a pale shadow.  So this afternoon I did a bit of modelling on the Heljan 47XX's.

The smokebox door doesn't capture the GWR appearance due to the absence of a recess around the door. The recess is clearly seen on the Hornby Grange...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 7.jpg

I ran the point of a dart around the door then widened the groove slight with a different dart head.  I don't think it is really worth it and i would replace the whole front if  I could find a casting. Note the new struts.....

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 13.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 11.jpg

Things kept falling off while handling this heavy loco & Tender. One was the cab handrail. This was a peice of wire glued to the cabside....I mean how silly is that?  If there is to be no daylight behind it, it might as well have been moulded on. I glued the wire back with Loctite...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 12.jpg

After finishing the black loco, the green one followed suit. It has new 12.5mm pony truck wheels.  Driving wheel centres, tyres and copper pipework have been blackened...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 14.jpg

You've done it again!

Just a few mods make all the difference.

The new pony wheels make all the difference!

C.

Does anyone actually run these 47's on their layouts?  Sounds a silly question, but I ask because no one seems to have mentioned any running problems. I have two locos and both their Tender's have been derailing all afternoon. I checked the centre wheels and there is little or no up and down allowance. This was when i saw the flanges are only half the depth of those on Hornby Tenders. I elongated the middle axle holes slightly and filed the pin points down a little to give more side-play, but to no avail. In short, it looks like I will have to relay one of my garden loops with the more solid Code 100 track and try to eliminate all the slight irregularities. The radius is 3').

Nothing else derails even going full pelt.

(If using the close-coupling hole, the side buffers will need removing if the loco is to negotiate any kind of curve).

mine runs perfectly on my unfinished layout

Even in parts of the fiddle yard barred to some of my larger kit built locos.

• RMweb Gold

I've had no running problems with mine since modifying the pony truck and replacing it's wheels with a Romford set,

It runs smooth as  a steam engine with 65 vans.  :biggrin_mini2:

I do like your idea about removing those side buffers for closer coupling mine would not go through 36" radius curves

coupled up tight. :good:  

• Like 1