CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

A slight break in this thread.  Good friends were here for the day and so we sat around while trains went around. The more I looked out the window at the big Vanquish, the more I disliked my car!  

attachicon.gifWEB Aston 3.jpg

Quite appropriate shot considering it is Le Mans this weekend!!!

Come on Aston!!!!

C.

• Like 1

I like your personalised car number plate.

Even our street name carries my initials... :yahoo:

Mind what you say or Coach'll be ripping up Carrog (as if that hasn't happened once or twice already) and replacing it with something pre-Grouping Caledonian!

And I could too, but I will only build models of things I saw, as there is no nostalgia in anything outside my own experiences.

No good me having a car like that, I wouldn't be able to get out of it.

Life can be cruel...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

A slight break in this thread.  Good friends were here for the day and so we sat around while trains went around. The more I looked out the window at the big Vanquish, the more I disliked my car!  

attachicon.gifWEB Aston 3.jpg

If I had an Aston Martin like that I'd be frightened to take it on the road .....imagine parking that at Aldi ...you'd have a nervous break down  :scared:

Is there any truth in th erumor that James Bond (007) has a new vehicle from 'Q'?

A Ford Kuga???

Or a souped up Mondeo with Passenger Ejector seat, etc?????

;)

(I had noticed the 'new' Ford grille bore some resemblance to that used on 007's former conveyance.....;) )

• RMweb Premium

If I had an Aston Martin like that I'd be frightened to take it on the road .....imagine parking that at Aldi ...you'd have a nervous break down  :scared:

Isn't that covered in your break down policy?

:jester:

I did park this Aston in an ALDI car park, and was surrounded by eager admirers. However, no damage, just great respect. The ALDI concerned was in Southern Ireland, surrounded by happy people....

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I did park this Aston in an ALDI car park, and was surrounded by eager admirers. However, no damage, just great respect. The ALDI concerned was in Southern Ireland, surrounded by happy people....

Andy

A good friend has a Tesla S. He says it's very convenient when he visits McDonald's, as the parking spaces reserved for electric vehicles are right next to the entrance door.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Aston is being bitten by LeMans this year!!

The Am Aston has just been binned at Porsche curves and may well be out and the two Pro cars are still running but well down.

These cars now have Merc V8 engines in them!

What is the world coming to?!

Right, I'll get my coat and stop mucking up Larry's thread!

C.

Simple mechanics and no electrics.......It took ¾ hour to install three Mercontrol wires and levers....Job done..... 

post-6680-0-78905700-1529251540.jpg

Initially I had my doubts when I saw the plastic tubing (I had used brass tubing in 1963), but nailed down every 1½ inches or so, it worked well......

post-6680-0-07248000-1529251543.jpg

I was even more surprised it worked on the point in the siding. Peco track nails used both sides of the tubing...

post-6680-0-80802000-1529251544.jpg

• Like 18

Basic's this afternoon after doing a spot of shunting. The guards vans were given extra weight using whitemetal corridor connection bases. This was preferable to retarding the axles with bits of sponge.  Two of the same type of castings were also glued to the bottom of mineral wagons and covered with a false bottom.  Weighting all of the lightweight plastic RTR wagons has worked wonders on several fronts.....

post-6680-0-31150200-1529339460.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ooh look, a first glimpse of a 47XX on the Llangollen line!  It is almost straight out of the box except I promptly replaced the LNER-esk pony truck wheels with ones with a smaller boss. They'll do for't time being. The nearest track has only just been laid and hasn't even had time to go rusty........

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 1.jpg

Looks good, Coach.

The whole of the scenic section is now laid with Peco bullhead after the final bit was converted from Code 83 this morning. The Code 83 point wasn't strictly necessary in the end and seeing as a very short section of plain connecting track was giving a bumpy ride due to non-compatability of rail sections and other things, I decided to eliminate the problem once and for all.

Peco bullhead points have been the icing on the cake of course, not only because of compatibility and appearance, but because the new frog arrangement does away with the need for insulated rail joiners. Thank goodness for this because they barely hold rail ends in line and easily come unattached.

For experienced workers, the bullhead system will provide few problems, but those people used to Code 100 might find it too fragile. It lacks the lateral strength of flat bottom rail due to having no web on the bottom. Soldered construction is fine, but its fragility shows up when plastic chairs barely hold it.

That's a relief, I have recently been laying a new section using bullhead rail, (with stronger glasses for fitting the rail joiners) and it's quite a delicate job.

My first point is in the post and it made me wonder how I was going to secure it with insulated rail joiners, now I know that they are not necessary.

These rail joiners can be a pain.  In Gauge O there is a lot of talk of Peco and C&L rails having the same profile and track height.  The latter is true, but try pushing an SL10 fishplate on the C&L rails!  Yes, it can be done but it ain't easy.

To make things worse I have a spares box of rail joiners from years ago and some are American HO (Micro Engineering) which are different from the OO gauge rail joiners from Peco.

As to the insulated joiners, they can be a pain, slipping under the rail when you are not looking.

Fot these reasons I am somewhat not looking forward to track laying in the scenic sections to come.  But at least I can practice on the hidden tracks.

That 47xx looks very nice, Larry.  Is it me or is "Night Owl" a post Beeching nick name?  When we were young we were lucky to see one before bed time so had no need for a nick name.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These rail joiners can be a pain.  In Gauge O there is a lot of talk of Peco and C&L rails having the same profile and track height.  The latter is true, but try pushing an SL10 fishplate on the C&L rails!  Yes, it can be done but it ain't easy.

To make things worse I have a spares box of rail joiners from years ago and some are American HO (Micro Engineering) which are different from the OO gauge rail joiners from Peco.

As to the insulated joiners, they can be a pain, slipping under the rail when you are not looking.

Fot these reasons I am somewhat not looking forward to track laying in the scenic sections to come.  But at least I can practice on the hidden tracks.

That 47xx looks very nice, Larry.  Is it me or is "Night Owl" a post Beeching nick name?  When we were young we were lucky to see one before bed time so had no need for a nick name.

Paul

The head of the rail might be the same height and profile , but the bottom is certainly different, and I'd suggest that the Peco rail also has a thicker waist! You can't fit C&L fishplates to Peco rail without the fishplates splaying out quite badly.

That 47xx is certainly a handsome beast.