B*** P******

Littlethorpe

From today's MREMAG:-

"Hornby Say Thanks

May I through your web pages thank all those who voted the Hornby Observation Car to be the Rolling Stock Model of the Year 2010. Obviously we were disappointed not to achieve more than the one award but this can only spur us on to aim for greater things in 2010/11. Once again, thank you. Now where did I put those Blue Pullman drawings!!

Sincerely

Simon"

My highlighting. Many a true word...

I've started saving already.

David

• RMweb Premium

It will come to fruition one day but who knows when, Hornby are known for their mischevous dropping of hints, it used to be in their catalogue but when that was sussed they have had to use more subtle hints maybe being so overt people will think that SK is joking but that may be a double bluff!!! But please one piece of advice....Do not hold your breath

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder when I read that on MREMAG if there should be a category in the model of the year awards for best leg pull of the year (following on from the pullman liveried 06) ,wonder what Bachmann could do to top it!!

cheers

mark

A BR black livery City of Truro as seen in Steam Railway mag in the 1990's April edition........

Taxi and quickbiggrin.gif

I have actually heard (3rd hand by now so don't ask too much about it!!) that a kit manufacuturer and an RTR manufacturer are considering a joint venture to produce both the Midland and Western Region sets in 4mm and 7mm scales. Pick the bones out of that if you will!

Phil

a 303????? oh god don't I just wish dcc controlled opening doors, pantograph that went up and down with dcc sound chip and a detailed interior droooooll OK back to reality

(but if any one wants to do a rtr 303 put me down for 9 of them)

Getting serious for a moment - if that's possible on this subject - can anyone solve something that's bugging me. In recent times (though as time flies, it may be longer back than I think!) I remember visiting one of the major shows (Warley maybe) and a Blue Pullman kit in 4mm had been announced; it was to be handled via one of the trade stands there, Fox Transfers seems to be in my mind. At the next major show I went to, I saw the announcement again, but since then nothing. Anyone remember this?

5+? years ago, Intercity were advertising them as a future release and Shawplan had some resin samples on display at several shows 3-4 years ago, when I asked they said they would be about £40 each.

I believe they were a joint venture with Fox.

Not strictly Hornby but please see the below from today's 01.04.10 www.mremag.com (noting the date).

'Blue Pullman' to Run Again

Our regular German contributor, Johann Kirsch, has forwarded a press release issued by Herr Simeon Levitt, the Managing Director of Heldapbachby GmbH. It states that the company are planning to extend into the buoyant British 00 market. This German manufacturer is better known for its high quality 0 gauge models made in the Far East but designed in Germany and based on German, Swiss and Austrian prototypes.

Particularly interesting is the first model they intend to make to launch the new British range. It is to be the LMR 6-car 'Blue Pullman' and will be produced to a very high level of detail, typical of this manufacturer. The company was in the news last year when it was revealed that it had made a major breakthrough in the development of virtual modelling technology (VMT) which can produce highly detailed resin bodies from a computer programme, thus cutting out a lot of the expensive manufacture of tooling. They hope to release the 6-car model by the Autumn this year which will cost less than £200.

Herr Levitt was not available to speak to us but we were able to talk to a member of the company's marketing department and asked whether they had any ideas as to what might follow. He was a little cagey but did suggest that if the 6-car model was successful, they might go on to produce the Western Region 8-car version as well. Other suggestions have been a Wickham trolley and a new 0 gauge range of very highly detailed models of locomotives that once ran on the Sodor railway network, some of which are preserved in the National Collection.

Returning to the subject of the LMR 'Blue Pullman', I understand that the bogies of each vehicle will be adjustable to cater for 00; H0; EM and P4 and to fit with this, the VMT resin technology allows the body to be produced in different scales at no extra cost. You just set the programme for whatever size you want.

Each model will have a highly detailed interior with working lights, adjustable seating, working window blinds and, a real first, waiters that move up and down the centre aisle serving drinks and meals.

i know that theres a fair bit of ribbing when it comes to this train, but personally i think that, maybe within the next 5 to 10 years we will have a r-t-r model. if you sit and think back 10 years, or even 5, who would have thought that locos such as the beattie well tank, city of truro, class 15, class 14, falcon, kestrel, deltic, clayton or the model rail joint venture sentinal shunter would be available ready to run, thats not including the forthcoming, d600warships, class 22, class 85, lion and 4 wheel rail bus. there are now alot of quirky one off or unsuccesful locos availble ready to run, some thought 'impossible' not so long ago, but yet they are here on the shelves of your model shops. so when the time comes, i belive that a r-t-r blue pullman DMU will be announced. but its just going to take some time. have faith!

You make a fair point Dan, and I for one wouldnt bet against it - for me, the announcement of Falcon was what redefined what 'reasonable expectations' were, and more recently the railbuses were another eyebrow-raiser. The key difference though with the B-P over a loco or other 'single' traction unit is surely its complexity (only one coach type in common between the Midland and Western units, IIRC) and that, together obviously with the length, would be significant factors in determining the price. I'm sure somebody will now jump in with the usual simple arithmetic based on existing or forthcoming unit trains, but any manufacturer who did tackle this would want a healthy return on investment and would surely price it as high as they thought the market could stand. Bachmann have already given a figure, I cant recall OTTOMH what it was but it was certainly high enough to provoke howls of pain from the average British buyer ;)

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have already given a figure, I cant recall OTTOMH what it was but it was certainly high enough to provoke howls of pain from the average British buyer ;)

Ian, in the Kernow Thumper thread I said that I thought I'd seen a quoted price of around £400. The caveats are: I might not have remembered that correctly, and even if I have, it might not have been from Bachmann.

£400 is certainly painful enough. On the other hand I did once have a bloke quote me in excess of £30K to refit a kitchen (it wasn't a large kitchen) pretty much on the basis that he didn't really want the work...

Archived