2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely love it!!

Definetly St Blazey determined, as you say, by the engineering buildings at the back.

Also, isnt that a 600 on the right?

What a classic!!!!

Ok, so where's the coaling stage / water tower going to go????

Absolutely love it!!

Definetly St Blazey determined, as you say, by the engineering buildings at the back.

Also, isnt that a 600 on the right?

What a classic!!!!

The loco on the right is another D63xx, you can tell by the central cooler group grill. The D600s had two cooler groups, one behind each cab.

• RMweb Premium

Ok smarty pants.

How do I do links then?

BTW, you seen this?

Yes - brake van special - was it when you got the Nikon? Or Earlier??

Are the photos in the Gallery from Truro or Wadebridge?

(PS sent you a 'how to' guide on links)

Another classic hydraulic at St Blazey in 1972, this time it's 806 'Cambrian' in almost ex-works condition. This would literally have been the dying days of this class:-

http://www.garyschof.../p41023438.html

That certainly is a cracking shot D820, but the date is lightly out... it's 1st May 1971, at the St Blazey open day, hence 806's immaculate condition. Also present that day were 1056, 6326 and 6330, all equally immaculate having been spruced up for the occasion (probably at Laira), plus 854, 855, 1020, 1596, 1673 (Cyclops), 3526, 4007, 6318 and 6333, in day to day condition. 1020 was particularly scruffy, there's a photo of it on the same day in the OPC book 'Profile Of The Westerns'... it looks aweful!

Nidge ;)

• Like 1

That certainly is a cracking shot D820, but the date is lightly out... it's 1st May 1971, at the St Blazey open day, hence 806's immaculate condition. Also present that day were 1056, 6326 and 6330, all equally immaculate having been spruced up for the occasion (probably at Laira), plus 854, 855, 1020, 1596, 1673 (Cyclops), 3526, 4007, 6318 and 6333, in day to day condition. 1020 was particularly scruffy, there's a photo of it on the same day in the OPC book 'Profile Of The Westerns'... it looks aweful!

Nidge ;)

I had my doubts about the year, but that was date on the photo and I took the photographer's word for it. I remember going to the open days in the sixties and seventies (1968/9 & 71, I think), but I was just ticking the books in those days...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Nipped down to the 'yard' tonight.

Light conditions were poor (ha ha), however below is what I saw.

Something for the medium term me thinks.........

Wow! A green one on St Blazey, only seven of them to start with. D1004 and D1037 were the last two, both going blue in early 1967. So, given your proposed modelling period, it's 30/12/1966 then..................

:D

• Like 1

Wow! A green one on St Blazey, only seven of them to start with. D1004 and D1037 were the last two, both going blue in early 1967. So, given your proposed modelling period, it's 30/12/1966 then..................

:D

What I could really do with is some record of which Westerns visited BZ, between say 66 & 69.

The approach I took for the later period with the 37's was that it only got modelled if I had evidence of it having been there.

Present from Santa?

No, not from Santa, off ebay a couple of weeks ago. I've not told santa about my latest fetish........

I've bought it at risk as I dont kow if it or any of the green ones got to BZ.

It looks nice tho, that combination of green with yellow panel and red buffer skirt. fffwwwooorrhhh

post-8734-0-90885500-1293794576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guys

I'm in absolute awe of the efforts put in to this layout, congrats!

Could I ask, what are the dimensions of the layout please, I've previously tried to lay down a plan of something resembling BZ but could never get it to work on a domestic sized layout?

Many Thanks

G

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Could I ask, what are the dimensions of the layout please, I've previously tried to lay down a plan of something resembling BZ but could never get it to work on a domestic sized layout?

Many Thanks

G

It depends what you call a domestic size layout, i'm not sure this is.....

The scenic section conists of 3 boards of 3' 7" (1100mm) square; giving a length of around 10' 9" (almost 3300mm).

The turntable, the tracks to the roundhouse and the roundhouse itself dictate the width of the boards at 3' 7".

This excludes fidles yards; one is 3' long and the other 7' long.

Only the scenic boards can be put up in 'their room'

post-8734-0-15006100-1293448331_thumb.jpg

These are the three boards not connected together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

Many Thanks

G

I also think there's a jpg of the track plan in the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread if that helps, plus an overhead shot taken at last summer's DEMU show.

• RMweb Premium

I'm certain many a green thousand has resided at BZ. Just need a D6300 peeping out of the roundhouse now! Bring em on...

Happy New Year guys. Hopefully see the layout in the flesh this year somewhere.

Best wishes Craig

Hi Craig. HNY to you too. We're down with DitD in Truro later this year. Hopefully shifts etc will work out better for you this year.

Ive attached a couple of shots showing the basic construction of the round house.

The building was constructed 'in situ'

The 'pits' were cut out of the board using a router to the correct size. Plastic card angle was then stuck to the top edge, C&L chairs were then glued along this to gauge. Plastic card was then used to line the pit walls and create the floor.

This was repeated for all nine roads.

post-8734-0-42401500-1293970924_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-38875100-1293971559_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Damian, thanks for posting the photos of Diesels in the Duchy under construction, it is always interesting to see how layouts are built and how they come about. After seeing it in the flesh last year it is really good to see photos like the most recent ones showing the shed going up and the pits being constructed.

Funny isn’t it you mention that you used a router to cut out the channels for your pits. I used a jig saw and had an interesting time whilst my Father’s router sat on the shelf! Completely forgot it was there…it would have been a lot easier using the router!! Still, you live and learn.

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

• Like 1

Hi Damian, thanks for posting the photos of Diesels in the Duchy under construction, it is always interesting to see how layouts are built and how they come about. After seeing it in the flesh last year it is really good to see photos like the most recent ones showing the shed going up and the pits being constructed.

Funny isn’t it you mention that you used a router to cut out the channels for your pits. I used a jig saw and had an interesting time whilst my Father’s router sat on the shelf! Completely forgot it was there…it would have been a lot easier using the router!! Still, you live and learn.

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Thats modelling for you - you realise the better solution after.....

I also often find its not until I get to the end of a new task that I actually think i'm making an OK job of things. However, when you then look back at your earlier offerings you think, hmmmm thats not as good.

This then gives me the itches to build something else - a new layout, because I now look at the layout and think; I (well actually we) will do better than this next time or if it can't be done better we will know a quicker easier way at least. Thats not to say i'm not pleased with it, i'm am - very, but as a builder you always look at the faults and what could be better. Others don't see that at a glance.

We found this when we built 'Diesels in the Duchy' having built 'Treneglos'.

I know for sure when 'Owd Gringo's' layout 'Once Upon a Time in the West' is complete we will have moved on again.

'Owd Gringo' is going to start his own thread about this layout soon, but to spur him on I've attached some picture's of his boards.

We are doing a little demo at the Stafford show with some of this - nothing too fancy tho...

John will probably kill me for saying......

post-8734-0-65957900-1294481971_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-30432700-1294482096_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-81924600-1294482152_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No, not from Santa, off ebay a couple of weeks ago. I've not told santa about my latest fetish........

I've bought it at risk as I dont kow if it or any of the green ones got to BZ.

It looks nice tho, that combination of green with yellow panel and red buffer skirt. fffwwwooorrhhh

Oh dear Mr Ross, better start saving the pennies for more D1000s.... I see Dapol are going to produce the 'definitive' Western in 4mm using the CAD files produced by JLTRT for their 7mm kit. See this thread...

So that will be D1000, D6300 and D600 all RTR from Dapol.

Oh dear Mr Ross, better start saving the pennies for more D1000s.... I see Dapol are going to produce the 'definitive' Western in 4mm using the CAD files produced by JLTRT for their 7mm kit. See this thread...

So that will be D1000, D6300 and D600 all RTR from Dapol.

Oh dear in deed.

Its decision time then, as I was just tinkering around with this 'O' gauge plan.

What a great use of resource though, Dapol using JLTRT CAD files.

A small amount of sense in a mad world.

In these shot's the front line to Par docks is down and ballasted. Note that its not laid on cork. Over the board joints the rail is soldered to small brass screws directly below. To get the track to flow and look right the whole length is laid at once. The screws are positioned between the sleepers so the spacing looks right and the rail soldered to them. The track is glued down using PVA. weight down with something flat (MDF) and heavy. Once this is dry, say the next day, the ballast is then applied - this has already been discussed earlier in the thread. Once the ballast is dry you can then use a fine rasor saw to cut the rail on the joint. Part the boards carefully.

post-8734-0-91504800-1295078561_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-74490500-1295167381_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Marking out.

- Shots 1 & 2. plan view drawings of the pub and the crossing keepers cottage are moved around to find best position, location of road is also determined - I think, as there are a lot lines on that board!

post-8734-0-89782100-1295168610_thumb.jpgpost-8734-0-85362400-1295168682_thumb.jpg

- Shots 3 & 4. the river, canal, tramway and railway have been marked on the baseboard. the sheet of paper in the middle contains Chris's more detailed drawings of the bridges for that location. Drawing in this way in situ ensures all the angles, widths and lengths of the bridges are correct, as Chris built the bridges seperate from the layout. the initial scenic work can then continue without the bridges.

post-8734-0-02785800-1295168773_thumb.jpgpost-8734-0-74358700-1295168707_thumb.jpg

- Shot 5. this is Owd Gringo. i've no idea what he's doing? - really. Answers on a post card........

post-8734-0-89960100-1295168813_thumb.jpg

• Like 1